DCS is using old versions of temp files? Caching?

McShetty

I don't know, maybe this is old news. I'm editing scripts and then testing and it has become apparent DCS is not using the current version of the file. I very carefully made sure I was saving the script and then even went to exiting the script editor and DCS yet I still see things in the logs that do not exist. "RAT_C-17A" does not even exist. I changed the name to something completely different. I opened ~mis00006C25.lua and it is in fact the old version of the script. I also deleted all the temp files and the issue persists.

Script is in Users\myusername\Games Saves\DCS\Scripts\

2019-02-19 20:37:48.293 ERROR   DCS: Mission script error: : [string "C:\Users\micha\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS\/~mis00003B5E.lua"]:22279: SPAWN:New: There is no group declared in the mission editor with SpawnTemplatePrefix = 'RAT_C-17A'
SpawnTemplatePrefix = 'RAT_C-17A'
stack traceback:
   [C]: ?
   [C]: in function 'error'
   [string "C:\Users\micha\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS\/~mis00007FF2.lua"]:22279: in function 'NewWithAlias'
   [string "C:\Users\micha\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS\/~mis00007FF2.lua"]:50022: in function 'New'
    [string "C:\Users\micha\AppData\Local\Temp\DCS\/[color=Red][b]~mis00006C25.lua[/b][/color]"]:1: in main chunk

When you use the trigger action "Load Script File" it actually stores the script within the .MIZ file. If you later on edit the script outside DCS (using Notepad++ for example), the script copy on the MIZ file remains like it was before.

To update a MIZ-stored script, you have to edit again the trigger action, like if you were telling it again which script to load, to get it to refresh the script file that is within the MIZ.

Edit: Here you can see some LUA scripts stores within a MIZ file:

hJBGWpR.jpg

Edited by Rudel_chw

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

No way, really?

Yes, really :) ... it does have its advantages tough, as you dont have to provide a separate script file when you share the mission with someone else, as the script is already inside the mission.

Compare when you use Mods, say for example you use a tank from the WW2 Assets Pack .. then whoever has your mission will need to have that Mod installed on their system, or else the Mission wont even load.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB