wanna pick this up in sale now

thrustvector

don't see too many probs with this now, and I think its the first time I have seen this a 50% off, most of you happy with it? itl complete my "all copters" hanger as well.

it was this or the mirage, but apart from ground pounding I prefer the rotors:)

Look TBH I'm happy enough with it, I wont get into the FM arguments but as a DCS module it's fine, I will say the input controls that you use will make a tremendous difference to how you perceive this module.

YMMV. :thumbup:

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Yeah, even I as an often complainer about FM I recommend this heli when on sale. Finger crossed the FM will advance even more. Definitely it progressed since it was released. For me the Minigun variant is the most pleasant to fly... if only I could just drop the gunner altogether :) .

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I5 4670k, 32GB, GTX 1070, Thrustmaster TFRP, G940 Throttle extremely modded with Bodnar 0836X and Bu0836A,

Warthog Joystick with F-18 grip, Oculus Rift S - Almost all is made from gifts from friends, the most expensive parts at least

Look TBH I'm happy enough with it, I wont get into the FM arguments but as a DCS module it's fine, I will say the input controls that you use will make a tremendous difference to how you perceive this module.

YMMV. :thumbup:

What input settings would you recommend? I know they can vary a fair bit between different controllers and by personal preference but it'd be nice to know what I should be generally aiming for. Cheers.

Might see this 50% off a couple times a year but yeah not very often. Maybe there were some minor issues which I can't recall now, it's very functional and you get multiple mission profiles with the one module. Go for it, it's very unique.

Not sure how control settings make more of a difference than with other modules. If you use Vivian sights and auto-hover a lot there is lots of sense in making a good setup for throttle. It can be a lot of fun... also check out the heli tournament if you're into competitive multiplayer or just enjoy watching e-sports.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

What input settings would you recommend? I know they can vary a fair bit between different controllers and by personal preference but it'd be nice to know what I should be generally aiming for. Cheers.

At the moment I'm between Windows builds however I have a modified gimbal from a logitech 3D Pro with a 25CM extension sand a Leo Bodnar USB interface so it's kinda very different.

The point I was making is the cyclic input is very sensitive compared to other DCS helicopters there are a couple of other gotchas as well using a joystick.

It seems joysticks (3D Pro and others) have a "deadspot" in the centre of travel that corresponds to the mechanical centering of the joystick. This combination frustrated me in the early days of flying the Gazelle because with such a sensitive cyclic fine control was difficult because with slight movement nothing would happen then just a slight bit more movement and you would roll or pitch way more than intended hence the so called twitchy behaviour.

More info here.

You could try adding curvature to reduce the effect but that deadspot will still be annoying, another help is to stack some books or an object beside your joysick to support your wrist that helps kinda equivalent to my setup where I rest my wrist on my thigh.

A quirk of the Gazelle is the cyclic action is centered I don't know why it just is so curvature is fine saturation is also fine to get started but in all honesty try and get/make a cyclic it will make all helicopters easier to fly. :D

With all helicopters less input is more control doubly (because your not over-correcting and correcting all the time) so for the Gazelle even with a 25cm extension most "normal" flying I might use maybe up to 10mm of cyclic travel, I use more when doing some hard manoeuvres and for just normal flying 2 fingers and thumb is all that is required.

Another observation if your using a joystick map trim to the hat switch it seems to provide a fine level of control which can help.

Some more musings on controls here.

Apologies I know you asked a simple question and I kinda wrote a novel. :)

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

I'm thinking more about the axis input settings, saturation and curvature settings for the cyclic.

They are basically the same as for any other aircraft. It's funny, I've heard people make the comment before that the Gazelle just needs smaller inputs but I don't really notice... I just adapted and fly it a bit more wildly (or more precisely) than the other airframes. Your joystick may make a difference - mine is a $60 quality model from Logitech from some 15 years back.

SA-342 Ka-50 Mi-8 AJS-37 F-18 M2000C AV-8B-N/A Mig-15bis CA --- How to learn DCS

ok, I have her now and really enjoying flying it, but one thing, what is this deadzone I hear about, to me there isn't one, I move the smallest input she moves, I haven't a so called dead zone?

I have a self made one in my pedals as they are a bit loose, but I cant find much else?

ok, I have her now and really enjoying flying it, but one thing, what is this deadzone I hear about, to me there isn't one, I move the smallest input she moves, I haven't a so called dead zone?

I have a self made one in my pedals as they are a bit loose, but I cant find much else?

That's great, enjoy. :thumbup:

hahaha, ok cmon what do you mean? is there a dead zone area I'm just not used to yet or maybe just as I have the TM hog setup?

No well maybe I don't have a TM Warthog,.. I don't know. :P

Apologies I know you asked a simple question and I kinda wrote a novel. :)

No worries, I appreciate it. My warthog has almost zero noticeable deadzone so I should be ok there. I've been thinking about getting an extension for a while now, it would also help a lot with other chopper modules I have. Cheers!

... if only I could just drop the gunner altogether :) .

Hi, I am thinking of buying the gazelle now as well. To be honest I really miss the option to have an unarmed gazelle.

There is so many civilian paints on gazelles (few days ago someone asked here on forum for blue (hungarian?) one), but those skins would not look very good when applied on armed heli. I enjoy civilian pleasure flights with helis in DCS and gazelle would be briliant for some executive flights on persian gulf map, better than any other helicopter in DCS.

Is there still a chance to get unarmed gazelle for lets say troop insertion? I am not even calling for full civilian version now, unarmed version (minigun version without that minigun and with doors) would do for me. (And those army suited guys could still be the same inside. :megalol: )

My skins on DCS User Files, Enjoy!

FC3, Mi-8, UH-1, CA, L-39, AV-8B, F-14

Why would you want doors,..that makes no sense, why? :D

Why would you want doors,..that makes no sense, why? :D

Makes perfect sense to me. Because doors could be tickbox selected in ME and with the doors it looks a bit more civilian. I am proposing variants that would be civilian enough and would require minimum additional modeling. :lol: Sorry, I like civilian flying in DCS especially with helis and since gazelle is the lightest heli so far, I am missing these appearences.

(Have a look at my skins, I think I have established my opinion on civilian helis in DCS quite clear. :pilotfly: Thats me. :music_whistling:)

BTW I think a door-less civi Gazelle would be the bees knees for cat herding. :D

My skins on DCS User Files, Enjoy!

FC3, Mi-8, UH-1, CA, L-39, AV-8B, F-14

You can find a deadzone in the axis tuning settings for your controller/axis in DCS settings. I usually go with a small deadzone and some curvature (up to about 20, more for old propeller birds). Depends on the joystick again.

Makes perfect sense to me. Because doors could be tickbox selected in ME and with the doors it looks a bit more civilian. I am proposing variants that would be civilian enough and would require minimum additional modeling. :lol: Sorry, I like civilian flying in DCS especially with helis and since gazelle is the lightest heli so far, I am missing these appearences.

(Have a look at my skins, I think I have established my opinion on civilian helis in DCS quite clear. :pilotfly: Thats me. :music_whistling:)

Now a tickbox option for doors would be awesome, I like the mini gun version because of the of almost unrestricted view especially from the LH seat, it would also be nice to loose the mini gun should save about 200KG inc gunner and ammo. ;)

Might also give you a "slick" option for the other variants.

However if PC were to offer a "civi" variant or 2, I'd be happy to pay for them.

Nice skins by the way. :thumbup:

yea I know that thanks, I was asking just out of interest if there was a dead zone in the copter itself, just sounded that way, sorry if I got that wrong

The point I was making is at least the cheaper sticks have a built in dead zone, nothing to do with DCS/PC settings as such, but none the less that "feature" can be a source of control issues if a user where using one.

The other gotcha to keep in mind is in DCS>Options> Misc> Gazelle is to ensure you have the FFB sliders set to zero otherwise this can mess with cyclic input for non FFB joysticks.

From my experience I prefer no dead zone in the inputs some folks do, personal preference YMMV. :thumbup: