AIM-7's are awful post patch 2.5.4.30038

Banzaiib

I was pretty surprised at how bad they are.

Not sure how I can load a track on here when the track file limit is 5 mb. Almost any multiplayer track will be more than that.

Tomcat tracks don't work anyway. Would be a waste to upload one.

Strike

USLANTCOM.com

stepped_with_391_new_small.png

i7-9700K OC 5GHz| MSI MPG Z390 GAMING PRO CARBON | 32GB DDR4 3200 | GTX 3090 | Samsung SSD | HP Reverb G2 | VIRPIL Alpha | VIRPIL Blackhawk | HOTAS Warthog

You're right about the notching of the enemy AI, and No, i can't upload the tacview, because the file is too large, Sorry!

It should be damned near impossible to notch inside 2 miles... I never lost lock, btw, the missile just went stupid... This is not even close to a realistic modeling of SARH missile guidance... unless it is, i never flew a real jet :)

Edited by Banzaiib

Yeah its the chaff resistances Banzaiib. Until ED does a proper chaff model (probs by 2030) you'll get this unless you use a missile mod. Currently, imho, chaff resistances especially for modern missiles are way to low. As in they eat chaff to readily. In theory the missile itself should be immune to the chaff but the tracking radar in the host jet isn't. As of right now though the chance a missile will eat chaff grows exponentially for every extra chaff bundle you drop and the time that this can impact the seeker is quite long as well. IRL the chaff bundle will almost instantaneously (like under a second) drop from the aircrafts speed to just around 0kts. Meaning that it will be filtered out by PD and also fall out of the tracking cone of the host ships radar very quickly.

Oh man, are they ever... They just don't track. Even if I keep lock throughout, range 5-10 miles in trail, they don't even guide, just go stupid.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

I shot two of them ago, both hit... well the first one was just a tad over a mile head on, the other was in a turning fight roughly shot at his 4 o'clock high which made him turn away from me, but from even less than a mile. He tried to chaff, but it didn't help.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

I shot two of them ago, both hit... well the first one was just a tad over a mile head on, the other was in a turning fight roughly shot at his 4 o'clock high which made him turn away from me, but from even less than a mile. He tried to chaff, but it didn't help.

Yeah, after more testing they work pretty good up close, within 3-5 miles. However, this is supposed to be a BVR missile, I’d expect decent performance at 10 miles at least in a head-on situation.

Part of the problem may be that Jester seems to switch from P-STT to PD-STT while the missile is guiding, I think this trashes the missile. They also seem to be too sensitive to chaff.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

I just shot one at an Su-24 from within 10nm and it hit. It was a bomber after all, but still.....i was bellow angels 10. I think i was around 600KIAS at the moment of launch. STT, 70-100 degrees aspect. I think he was notching me.

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000C, Harrier AV-8B NA, F-5, AJS-37 Viggen, F-14B, F-14A, Combined Arms, F/A-18C, F-16C, MiG-19P, F-86, MiG-15, FW-190A, Spitfire Mk IX, UH-1 Huey, Su-25, P-51PD, Caucasus map, Nevada map, Persian Gulf map, Marianas map, Syria Map, Super Carrier, Sinai map, Mosquito, P-51, AH-64 Apache

I was more curious about why you think their too lethal at short ranges. But about the AIM7's short range, even though I have no evidence, I am still dubious about the drag values on the AIM7. And on the numbers they used for the motor thrust and burn time as i've never seen the numbers they've used on any source.

Edited by nighthawk2174

I think ED have said the Aim7 aerodynamics are the most recent/accurately done within the sim.

The fact is that the AIM-7 made a new model according to the results of the simulation in the CFD software, and the R-27 is still the old one.

Over time, we will do it for R-27 too.

That is what I understood from the context of the conversation the above quote was taken from.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

64th "Scorpions" Aggressor Squadron

Discord: 64th Aggressor Squadron

TS: 195.201.110.22

IRL the chaff bundle will almost instantaneously (like under a second) drop from the aircrafts speed to just around 0kts. Meaning that it will be filtered out by PD and also fall out of the tracking cone of the host ships radar very quickly.

In IRL the chaff stays up for hours if not days and will block the radars seeing through it, and will show up as constant motion to all directions.

It is the way how the chaff will reflect the signal going various speeds and directions, even when the chaff would be just floating in 0 m/s wind downwards.

The speed the chaff gets out is just how quickly it gets distributed across the sky on large area, and you do not want to chaff anything as it will not just make enemy life harder, it will make your life harder.

You basically just ECM yourself as the enemy with chaff and for very long periods.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I think ED have said the Aim7 aerodynamics are the most recent/accurately done within the sim.

Yes. Next they are doing AIM-120 family and then later maybe the R-27 family, as it clearly has very serious flaws in its performance (not just guidance, but in that too).

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.