VKB T-Rudder Pedals - Review

@ Sokol, are there mods available that would cover the heel pedals with some softer materials? I cannot fly long in socks or barefoot because of the metal digging in. Not an issue with using shoes, of course.

Also, a mod to widen the whole pedal set would be nice. Love the pedals, but they could be a tad wider...

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

Gear: HP Reverb G2 | JetPad FSE | VKB Gunfighter Pro Mk.III w/ MCG Ultimate

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I wouldn't want to be held responsible for encouraging that GAS ;)

I don't have any detailed information about the T-Rudder MkIV.

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

• 4 weeks later...

I modified my MK1 pedals with some old steel shelving, I just cut it to size and bought a couple of jubilee clips to mount the arm plates and some self adhesive plastic edging so they slide nicely along the baseplate. The old shelves were already powder coated black so I didn't even need to paint them.I used the original bolts to mount the base plate.

The mod wasn't strictly necessary but I just found that I was always looking under the desk to check my foot placement with the original design and an added unthought of benefit is that sliding my feet back from the full bar height gives slightly finer control.

%5Bimg%5Dhttp%3A//i64.tinypic.com/ay2540.jpg[/img]

Dang...I can't tell what you added, so great job!

hsb

HW Spec in Spoiler

---

i7-10700K Direct-To-Die/OC'ed to 5.1GHz, MSI Z490 MB, 32GB DDR4 3200MHz, EVGA 2080 Ti FTW3, NVMe+SSD, Win 10 x64 Pro, MFG, Warthog, TM MFDs, Komodo Huey set, Rverbe G1

Now that's an inspiring mod! :thumbup: Is there a write-up?

PC: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X | MSI Suprim GeForce 3090 TI | ASUS Prime X570-P | 128GB DDR4 3600 RAM | 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD | Win10 Pro 64bit

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Thanks but I just got lucky with what I had lying around but no,no write up. I modified them just over a year ago and forgot to mention earlier that the base plates were made longer so that the rudder sits against the wall behind my desk for added stability and the fortunate thing about the holes in the steel plate means that this is all adjustable.

http://www.skeletoncrew.ca/forum/index.php?topic=701.15

link to my original post on the skeleton crew forums.:)

Did a briefly test with T-Link soft:

T_Rudder.jpg

Work in this way:

Set a button on joystick for brake function, pressing this button the braking is applied progressively, but "aggressive". :)

Moving the rudder for right of left the braking force is instantaneous canceled in other wheel.

To see how work use DView, in Games Controllers result strange because is used the virtual axis Y and Z.

Assign this virtual axes in game (IL-2 CLoD) is a bit trick, is need press and hold the button, open the controls window and then move rudder right or left.

And move the rudder inverted, because what rudder do is cancel the brake force in opposite wheel, not apply then... (as RL Mig-21). :)

As well is trick use this in game, because is needed "type" on the button or the plane flip.

If set a joy button for "ACCU" by pressing this button the rudder response is reduce, e.g. instead 0 -100 became 0-60.

The software need be active to this functions work.

The default profile in firmware (1.77.F) has the rudder axis somewhat reduced (~20 to 80%), seems is need adjust in Config software.

Edited by Sokol1_br

Thanks for the info Sokol :thumbup:

You can adjust the rudder response by modifying the multiplier value (MPL) (Profile tab/Common -n- Axes/Physical Axes -> axis 1, set MPL to 9 and recalibrate the pedals (Tools tab)). (v1.77F firmware)

The software TEST version is available >>> here <<<

Keep in mind it's not a release version ;)

One of the other improvements is the controller (NJoy32) has reached a 12-bit resolution.

Pushing the available values/steps for the axes from 2048 to 4096 (don't sneeze during your precision maneuvers ;) ).

/// ВКБ: GF Pro MkII+MCG Pro/GF MkII+SCG L/Black Mamba MkIII/Gladiator/T-Rudder MkII | X-55 Rhino throttle/Saitek Throttle Quadrant | OpenTrack+UTC /// ZULU +4 ///

/// "THE T3ASE": i9 9900K | 64 GB DDR4 | RTX 2080ti OC | 2 TB NVMe SSDs, 1 TB SATA SSD, 12 TB HDDs | Gigabyte DESIGNARE mobo ///

Here's how I configured it for the P-51D:

0SvFiZm.jpg

I assigned my flight stick pinky lever to the brake button in T-Link.

IYA330J.jpg

The way it behaves, the brake action is automated and progressive (about 500ms (?) from 0% to 100%) (as Sokol suggested) when you squeeze the brake "button".

Without touching your pedals, it will activate both brakes.

To activate the right or left brake independently, you will have to push the right or left rudder pedal (there's a minimum threshold) and then press the assigned brake button. It will also trigger an automatic and progressive braking action (from 0% to 100% in about 500 ms (?)).

You keep the full rudder control based on the rudder pedals position the whole time.

What you can't do is pushing one brake to a certain level and then adding some pressure on the other brake.

I tested some basic taxi maneuvers, tight turns and played around with the P-51D using the Batumi take-off instant action mission and it's been comfortable and precise. I just had to squeeze my pinky lever accordingly.

What I'd like to see is a progressive brake action controlled with the rudder pedal (e.g. pressing the brake button and then controlling the brake pressure with the rudder pedal - not automated).

However that will associate the full rudder input with the full brake pressure and that may be a limitation.

I'll test the other aircraft when I'll find some time :joystick:

The T-Link software has been easy to configure and use in its current state :thumbup:

Edited by Bourrinopathe

You need the file ZBootloader-C.exe in the same folder of T-Link (or VKB Config) for update firmware, as is this software that make the writing under command of T-Link or VKB Config.ZBootloader_C.jpg

greenshot

I update for 1.77F using both options and work flawless.

Other thing, always use the last version of VKB Config (VKBDevCfg-C_0.76.3.8,exe) as the previous versions is not compatible with new firmware.

BTW - Despite advertised as "virtual toe brakes" - supposed for planes that use this system, e.g. for P-51, Bf 109... what T-Link do is create a "virtual differential brakes" - Spitfire, Yak-1... system for this planes.

Edited by Sokol1_br

Hi

Just tried updating my VK III Rudder pedals to version 1.77F and using the T Link software but every time I change the firmware from version 1.606 my pedals stop responding.

Any ideas greatly appreciated

Thanks

Same here... 1.77F does not work for me, either: My pedals stopped working...

0ed5ba73e860504699fb2f8a83b2a48c4.png

EDIT: Going back to 1.747 makes the pedals work again. Not sure what's missing to get this going...

Edited by rrohde

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

I'm also using the v0.76.9.2 VKB Device Config and the v1.77F firmware but I tweaked my own profile based on my previous version (v1.779). The virtual brakes axes are configured and the resolution has been increased to 12-bit.

Tested with the current T-Link.

>>> here's the profile if anyone wants to try <<<

(a new calibration could be useful once you've loaded the profile - don't forget to hit the "Set" button)

[EDIT: I also use that simplified rudder profile for the jets like the Su-27 (no virtual brake axes, no keyboard, no buttons, 12-bit resolution, v1.77F-compatible) ]

h6ASUnD.jpg

Edited by Bourrinopathe
single axis profile added

Considering getting a set of these. What I really want out of set of pedals are ones that are so accurate that I don't need to use a curve on the axis. Is this possible on the VBKs? I currently have CH Pro pedals, and they need at least a curve of 20 maybe even 40 to get smooth response out of them.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cockpit Spectator Mode

Hi All

Thanks for the reply's. Bourrinopathe tried using your config and I have the same issue.

rrohde where can I find the 1.747 firmware ?

I have attached a screen shot of the issue

Axis x will not move. I have button 6 on my x55 setup in the T Link software if I press button 6 Axis Y and Z move.

If I hold button 6 and move pedals nothing happens and if I release button 6 and move pedals nothing happens.

Also tried the simple profile from Bourrinopathe and the X Axis still will not respond.

Have also tried without using the T - Link software and still no input from the pedals.

Thanks

2055618925_VKBIssue.thumb.jpg.b9ba8b2df4a482107e25dc7099d4ba85.jpg

rrohde where can I find the 1.747 firmware ?

Check this post: http://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=2623846&postcount=13

The 1.747 firmware might/might not be available anymore...

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

For some reason I don't have the "Default" button.... Any idea why? See screenshot attached.

VKBNA_LOGO_SM.png

VKBcontrollers.com

Exactly what Sokol1_br has screen shotted but i clicked on the Tools tab first then Info at the bottom. Then follow the screenshot and a default button should appear next to the bootloader button on the tools tab. Click that and you should be working