My G25/27 Racing Pedals as Rudder Input Issues with DCS.

I have tried many options including the PPJOY + Glovepie workaround in order to try and get my G27 Pedals w/Bodnar cable to work properly with DCS A10C without any luck. :mad: http://www.jim-melton.com/2011/04/24/use-your-logitech-g25g27-pedals-as-rudder-controls/

Then along comes Falcon BMS 4.32 and I do the following:

1. Open up the BMS Configuration tool and checked the box to "Enable Virtual Rudder" under "Hardware Settings"

2. Set up the pedals as shown in the pic below:

FalconBMS2011-10-1722-27-26-23.jpg

And the rudder on the F16 works like a charm!

Why am I having such a frustrating time with DCS???

• 6 months later...

Sorry for bringing up an old post, but I also have a G27 that I wanted to use as a rudder, by using the gas and clutch pedals.

I'm a beginner at this, and maybe this is not needed to explain, but as I just got it working I thought I could share how, just in case.

Btw I did it using the built-in controller setup, no PPJoy or GlovePIE needed. Also, this worked with DCS:BS (I don't have the updated BS2, but I bet it works there too), which had a basically identical axis setup.

In short:

• Select "rudder", clear it under the G25 / G27 column, then double-click it and press the gas pedal to get it registered as an axis. Press OK. Repeat for the clutch pedal. Now there should be two axis listed in the G25 / G27 "rudder" field.
  • Then select "Axis Tune", and set the "Saturation Y" to 50 for both axes. Also set both axes as a "Slider", and then invert one of them. For me I had to invert the gas pedal axis, named "JOY_Y", while the clutch pedal axis (named JOY_SLIDER2) was not.

And that worked! As said I'm a beginner and haven't used this much, but anyway there it is (I hope).

Some pictures:

ZwCujBv.jpg

Rg8vvgf.jpg

S4sp5PY.jpg

koRJkZp.jpg

Edited by coilwinder
Switching imagehost from Photobucket to Imgur

For my G25 pedals I physically swapped the wires from the clutch and brake pedal pots (it was very easy), then when using the logitech "combined axis" option it combines the clutch and accelerator instead of brake and accelerator. In racing sims with combined axis disabled it works normally, only the clutch and brake axis names are swapped.

As a cyborg, you will serve SHODAN well

http://www.kegetys.fi

Kegetys: Ok. I suppose that also works with other flight sims, that don't have this kind of (awesome!) setup.

Me I'm pretty happy this worked for the time being. I do have MS flight sim X also, but haven't tried it for a long time (pre-G27 and pre-trackIR era :P), so I don't remember how axes are set up there, for example. Then PPJoy/GlovePIE might be needed (or your hack).

Edited by coilwinder
typo

coilwinder, I'm using the exact same setup for my Fanatec Clubsport pedals. However, I've noticed that in DCS: P-51D, where the rudder pedals become much more sensitive and critical, this setup has the serious drawback of the fact that if you happen to press both pedals at the same time by accident, you get a really violent yaw see-sawing motion that can easily knock you way out of control. This is an artifact of this solution not being a true 'combined axis' method like Kegetys uses. So, for this reason, you might be better off trying to make use of that 'combined axis' toggle in the Logitech drivers--I'm pretty sure I've seen others in this forum get it to work. Unfortunately there's no such option in the Fanatec drivers.

Not exactly what I had in mind while recording this video....

But as you have PPJoy already installed it should take you only five min to do similar with your pedal-set and the rudder axis.

But you have to go the other direction, first clone one axis of your pedals with JoyRemixer - so DCS sees it as different controller. Than you can assign the real and Virtual at the rudder axis at the same time.

Edited by PeterP

GregP:

Thanks for the tip! Even though I consider it basically solved for now, it could come in handy another time (when I figure out how to combine axes...).

The same thing happens here if I step on both rudder pedals, and depending on which one I let go a bit. The rule seems to be; don't do that :D

As for the sensitivity (on the rudder), I found it pretty sensitive too (not that I have P-51D to compare with), so I applied a negative curve to both pedal axes, which improved things.

Actually, there are something I don't get at all about that, and the axis tuning:

One of the curves seemed inverted from the "Axis Tune" graph vs in-game. Granted it's on the inverted axis, but it still seems wrong. At least I find the graph confusing, also they didn't really map axis output on the graph Y axis, like the curve implies.

It's as if the most sensitive /steepest curve for the gas pedal (JOY_Y for my G27, applying to my purple text in my picture for, uh, "clarity", sorry it got a little messy) is when it is at the upper halv of it's (physical) movement. But in-game it seems to be the opposite (which is what I wanted).

Also the pedal axes don't seem to start at the same graph point, but rather they meet in the middle instead of starting at the middle? That is, the "black box" output axis should, I think, start in the middle... But again, this is what it seemingly does in-game, and that's what I want of course.

Basically, it works but I don't quite get why. Or there is a bug in the axis tuning? Maybe I've been overthinking this, I need a break :P

My image for "clarity" (I have a curvature of -25 for now. Not -40 as here, I just did it to emphasize the curve better):

g4dnYLI.jpg

Edited by coilwinder
Changing image host from Photobucket to Imgur

• 6 months later...
Sorry for bringing up an old post, but I also have a G27 that I wanted to use as a rudder, by using the gas and clutch pedals.

I'm a beginner at this, and maybe this is not needed to explain, but as I just got it working I thought I could share how, just in case.

Btw I did it using the built-in controller setup, no PPJoy or GlovePIE needed. Also, this worked with DCS:BS (I don't have the updated BS2, but I bet it works there too), which had a basically identical axis setup.

In short:

• Select "rudder", clear it under the G25 / G27 column, then double-click it and press the gas pedal to get it registered as an axis. Press OK. Repeat for the clutch pedal. Now there should be two axis listed in the G25 / G27 "rudder" field.
  • Then select "Axis Tune", and set the "Saturation Y" to 50 for both axes. Also set both axes as a "Slider", and then invert one of them. For me I had to invert the gas pedal axis, named "JOY_Y", while the clutch pedal axis (named JOY_SLIDER2) was not.

And that worked! As said I'm a beginner and haven't used this much, but anyway there it is (I hope).

Some pictures:

th_G27rudder-step1.jpg

th_G27rudder-step2.jpg

th_G27rudder-step3.jpg

th_G27rudder-step4.jpg

Thank you very much for the tutorial. I've done the same with Fanatec Clubsport pedals and works very well.

• 8 months later...

I've tried the "map to same axis/50% threshold/invert one axis" solution and it seems to work, but unfortunately when I use it for my G27 pedals alongside my Saitek X52 throttle and stick, it clashes: the JOY_Y reported by the accelerator on the G27 pedals reports the same as the JOY_Y on the Saitek, meaning that whenever I press the pedal, in game the control stick gets pulled and stays pulled (!) until I use the real-world joystick -- and if I use both simultaneously they fight like roosters, with the stick jittering madly as the game struggles to decide between whether it should accept Y inputs from the pedal or from the stick.

Is there any way to force DCS to read the pedals as an entirely separate controller, controlling separate inputs? i.e., the JOY_Y should not be reported by both the joystick and the pedals, but rather there should be a sort of "JOY1_Y" for the pedals and "JOY2_Y" for the flight stick?

Edited by jtgibson

• 1 month later...
coilwinder your tip is awesome, I don't know how did you figured it out but it works well.

That's great! But don't thank me, thank Eagle Dynamics and their awesome controller setup! :)

Btw (about my second post above), I'm still a bit fuzzy on the details of the inverted axis output mapping, perhaps just the display that's not updated. I think it would help a bit if the output indicator could be on the Y axis in the graph also (It't actually a while since I've been using this now, so maybe I'm wrong).

Edited by coilwinder

• 3 years later...

Writing here (and bumping this post at the same time).

Up until the updates to 2.0 this trick worked perfectly.

However, right now, i cannot use this setup anymore. Whatever i do, Rudders always max out. The best i can do is to fully press one pedal to average out the rudders.

Anyone has trouble with this trick right now?

http://www.youtube.com/konotani

Computer Specs:

Z97X-gaming Mobo

4670k i5

24G DDR3

GTX 1080

Asus PG278Q Rog Swift 27-INCH G-SYNC

Valve Index

Thrustmaster Warthog

Fanatec Clubsport Pedals (used as Rudders)

Thrustmaster T300 Arcantera Wheel

Obutto R3volution rig

• 1 month later...
Writing here (and bumping this post at the same time).

Up until the updates to 2.0 this trick worked perfectly.

However, right now, i cannot use this setup anymore. Whatever i do, Rudders always max out. The best i can do is to fully press one pedal to average out the rudders.

Anyone has trouble with this trick right now?

Depending on what trick you are refering to. I just tested DCS World 2.0 OpenAlpha (That's what it says on the desktop shortcut at least. I thought it was 2.1 beta or something, but I might misremember). Anyway, the pedal setup post I wrote earlier still works. Perhaps its different from DCS World 2.0 (not OpenAlpha)?

Off-topic :D

I haven't really used DCS for years, except a couple of tests with Oculus Rift DK2 some three years ago. I never really got far in it anyway (start, take off and land A-10C :) ), and while I bought Nevada last year I gave up on it because of draconian download system and limited SSD space. Got a shiny new rig, HTC Vive and an SSD with a slightly better space and so I figured I try this again. First flight was pretty fun, awesome random weather turned out to be a thunderstorm with lightning! Mission went fubar ofc, and I kind of even managed to land (forgot to set up wheel brakes lol).

Edited by coilwinder