Introducing the VPC MongoosT-50

Cyph3r

• Replies 2.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad to hear you got them swapped over okay!

Regarding that image, that is if you use the MT-50 grip on the TM Warthog base! I will create a new button mapping template for the TM Warthog grip on the MT-50 base :)

:thumbup:

The left hand,part of that picture clearly represents the TMWH grip. But the button ID's are clearly not the ones you get with the TMWH grip on the TMWH base. I checked again.

It's high noon for getting some comprehensive documentation posted on the VIRPIL site. There must be a fair number of T-50 sticks out there and their owners shouldn't have to figure it out for themselves.

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

The left hand,part of that picture clearly represents the TMWH grip. But the button ID's are clearly not the ones you get with the TMWH grip on the TMWH base. I checked again.

It's high noon for getting some comprehensive documentation posted on the VIRPIL site. There must be a fair number of T-50 sticks out there and their owners shouldn't have to figure it out for themselves.

I'll have to check myself when I have time, it was a very old image (February I think) so a lot has changed since then.

The MT-50 Grip Manual and Base Quick Start is posted on the site already. The priority at the moment is our own products, but I will work on adding your requests to the site as soon as I can :)

Edited by Cyph3r

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

For support please email support@virpil.com to open a ticket!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hey cyp3r could you please read post 1271 regarding the exposed wires beneath the gimbal. Is this normal or is it missing a piece of shrink wrap?

Additional: regardless I'm going to take it for a spin right now for I have mounted the Base to something :)

IMG_1224.thumb.JPG.26a551c87ce2715d954b3201044afe73.JPG

Edited by kingpinda

Hey cyp3r could you please read post 1271 regarding the exposed wires beneath the gimbal. Is this normal or is it missing a piece of shrink wrap?

Additional: regardless I'm going to take it for a spin right now for I have mounted the Base to something :)

It's normal, nothing to worry about :)

Also great mount! :thumbup: Let us know how your first flights go!

Edited by Cyph3r

► Website: www.virpil.com // ► Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/VirPilControls // ► Twitter: https://twitter.com/VirPilControls

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It's normal, nothing to worry about :)

Also great mount! :thumbup: Let us know how your first flights go!

Ok thanks for the info. Have been flying a couple of hours and it feel great. However i need to take it apart tommorow i think.. even with medium springs and extension I feel its still to heavy. I tried adjusting springs untill warthog was not falling topheavy on both roll and pitch and then went flying. extremes are still bit heavy but middle is nice and responsive.

Although now i have a small *thunk* whenever i go from pitch up to pitch down right after i hit center. This happens with a small sticktion feel. Like those horrendous saitek springs which made me overshoot the bead on ones canopy. Its not as bad though but i may have bad cams or there is something wrong with the spring. It sounds like a spring issue. Upping the tension doesnt really help.

With roll the issue is less prominent. but I also feel the spring tiktiktik when i go through the center.

Gonna look at the insides tommorow to see if i can isolate the problem.

Are you sure the Cam is secure I had a. Thunk and it was because the CAM wasnt screwed in in both screw hole my own fault.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I7 3930 4.2GHz ( Hyperthreading Off), GTX1080, 16 GB ddr3

Hotas Warthog Saiteck Combat Pedals HTC Vive, Oculus CV1.

GTX 1080 Has its uses

Although now i have a small *thunk* whenever i go from pitch up to pitch down right after i hit center. This happens with a small sticktion feel. Like those horrendous saitek springs which made me overshoot the bead on ones canopy. Its not as bad though but i may have bad cams or there is something wrong with the spring. It sounds like a spring issue. Upping the tension doesnt really help.

Try tightening the lower grip screws, I had the same issue, it was "clunking" around the WH grip adapter. Tightening the lower grips bolts helped with that. Don't overdo it though, I think they might be easy to strip. If it happens again I'll take the grip apart and look at if there's a way to shim it to keep the clunk from happening, as it's really annoying.

Below are some graphs with VKB_Joytester and DXTweak. It's good to go after calibration, mine has a lot of small noise around center, so 1-2% deadzones helped in DXTweak to get that to go away.

So far my fav application has been flying the MiG-21 with the T-50, feels like it was meant for it! I have the medium springs, soft-center cams, and 50mm extension. With how the spring tension works I can almost judge AoA by feel, great stuff!

virpil_joytester.thumb.JPG.d2de30cf506455dff10eb0a3a9ccc2fc.JPG

dxtweak_virpil.jpg.64972a5600aae0f85424f1da9b187011.jpg

The Warthog grip is a heavy beast. I'm using the medium spring with the soft cam. No extension. I have tightened the pitch spring as much as I could without it requiring too much force. There is still a very small zone around the center where it doesn't feel quite right, but it does not cause a problem flying the F-5. I will not change springs because the "hard" spring would not feel right with the MT-50 grip.

For the WWII birds I will continue using the MT-50 grip. Maybe one day VPC comes up with a "modern" grip that can the replace the WH grip without being so heavy. I might buy that.

PS

LeCuvier

Windows 10 Pro 64Bit | i7-4790 CPU |16 GB RAM|SSD System Disk|SSD Gaming Disk| MSI GTX-1080 Gaming 8 GB| Acer XB270HU | TM Warthog HOTAS | VKB Gladiator Pro | MongoosT-50 | MFG Crosswind Pedals | TrackIR 5

... The MT-50 Grip Manual and Base Quick Start is posted on the site already. The priority at the moment is our own products, but I will work on adding your requests to the site as soon as I can :)

Where? I have looked again and I have not seen a download page. If documents are hidden somewhere in a forum thread - that's not a solution.

By the way, I had downloaded the two documents you mentioned from this forum, but they did not contain button ID's.

LeCuvier

@WindyTx I used it stock. Haven't seen the innards yet but of course it could have been assembled too loosely. I'll check

@pabstblueribbon: which screws do you mean? On the Warthog grip itself?? The sound most definitely comes from the gimbal not the grip itself. I also feel the springs tensing up. At extremes it's perfect but re-centering and then going to opposite direction makes noise and feels clunky and gives a bit of sticktion.

Brake lever axis working

I had a remote intervention of a VPC engineer via TeamViewer today, and now the brake lever axis is working. He used some VPC calbration tools that are not (yet?) released to the user community.

I tried this with the Spitfire during a cycle of take-off, landing and taxying and I was very satisfied. I fly the Spit extremely rarely but I had no problem at all. The analog brake lever makes taxying much more manageable.

So I'm happy!

PS: also the in-flight handling with the T-50 is very easy. People who moan about the difficult handling of the Spit should buy this stick!

Edited by LeCuvier

LeCuvier

@pabstblueribbon: which screws do you mean? On the Warthog grip itself?? The sound most definitely comes from the gimbal not the grip itself. I also feel the springs tensing up. At extremes it's perfect but re-centering and then going to opposite direction makes noise and feels clunky and gives a bit of sticktion.

ah, sorry I thought you were using the T50 grip. Not sure where your clunk would be coming from in that case, hope you find a solution!

I found several culprits why my base is acting a bit clunky.

1 it seems that the installed cams are the only cams not polished as can be seen on photo 1. I'll be emailing Virpil for a replacement.

2 the wires above the gimbal DO interfere with my base. the wires are very loose and when i pitch up i hear tiktik SCREECH. because they are too loose they get caught in the metal opening. hard to explain in words. I solved this by putting a plastic washer RIGHT underneath the DIN connector where you connect the stick or extension cord for an extension. This way there is less slack and the wire doesnt grip in the hole.

3 I presumed the springs were at fault but couldnt find anything. So i just gave it a bit of WD40.

4 this is the most troublesome point for me because I am now reluctant to use the stick out of fear i might break something.

As you can see in picture 2 just below the wiring there is a philips screw not entirely recessed. in picture 3 you can see that the screw isnt even touching the thread on the other side! its through the first thread, maybe slightly in the pole which goes horizontally to the sensor but not in the next thread to secure it all in place. I think this is were the *Thunk* with a sticktion feel comes from when pitching down.

I tried figuring out how to rectify this but i presume that the pivot is lowered and then the horizontal pole is pushed through it and only then the philips screw is fastened. I have no tools to fasten this screw in that location under that angle :(

I can do some hobby work but dismantling the entire thing would be daunting for someone like me..

Please advise.

IMG_1227.thumb.JPG.1408af905e756327fcce99c7debcc1e1.JPG

IMG_1225.thumb.JPG.a4af3da641c530b7672023ad820a191d.JPG

IMG_1228.thumb.JPG.241cf6b94c3e479f6cb2a5ea3749b91f.JPG

Where? I have looked again and I have not seen a download page. If documents are hidden somewhere in a forum thread - that's not a solution.

By the way, I had downloaded the two documents you mentioned from this forum, but they did not contain button ID's.

Hi, they're posted on the product pages as well as stickied on the VPC Hardware Forum. We're currently adding a Support page to hold everything.

https://virpil.by/en/shop/grips/vpc-mangoost-50-grip-vpc

https://virpil.com/en/forum/vpc-hangar/86-vpc-mongoost-50-base-quick-start-guide

https://virpil.com/en/forum/vpc-hangar/85-vpc-mongoost-50-grip-button-map-template

I had a remote intervention of a VPC engineer via TeamViewer today, and now the brake lever axis is working. He used some VPC calbration tools that are not (yet?) released to the user community.

I tried this with the Spitfire during a cycle of take-off, landing and taxying and I was very satisfied. I fly the Spit extremely rarely but I had no problem at all. The analog brake lever makes taxying much more manageable.

So I'm happy!

PS: also the in-flight handling with the T-50 is very easy. People who moan about the difficult handling of the Spit should buy this stick!

Glad to hear it's all sorted now and you're enjoying the MT-50! :thumbsup:

I found several culprits why my base is acting a bit clunky.

1 it seems that the installed cams are the only cams not polished as can be seen on photo 1. I'll be emailing Virpil for a replacement.

2 the wires above the gimbal DO interfere with my base. the wires are very loose and when i pitch up i hear tiktik SCREECH. because they are too loose they get caught in the metal opening. hard to explain in words. I solved this by putting a plastic washer RIGHT underneath the DIN connector where you connect the stick or extension cord for an extension. This way there is less slack and the wire doesnt grip in the hole.

3 I presumed the springs were at fault but couldnt find anything. So i just gave it a bit of WD40.

4 this is the most troublesome point for me because I am now reluctant to use the stick out of fear i might break something.

As you can see in picture 2 just below the wiring there is a philips screw not entirely recessed. in picture 3 you can see that the screw isnt even touching the thread on the other side! its through the first thread, maybe slightly in the pole which goes horizontally to the sensor but not in the next thread to secure it all in place. I think this is were the *Thunk* with a sticktion feel comes from when pitching down.

I tried figuring out how to rectify this but i presume that the pivot is lowered and then the horizontal pole is pushed through it and only then the philips screw is fastened. I have no tools to fasten this screw in that location under that angle :(

I can do some hobby work but dismantling the entire thing would be daunting for someone like me..

Please advise.

Hi Kingpinda, I've replied to your email already but I'll summarize here as well:

1. Cams are a known issue - we'll send you out a new set of cams ASAP.

2. I haven't heard of this wire causing an issue before - I'll look into it with the team but from what I understand you've resolved it yourself satisfactorily?

3. The MT-50 requires no lubrication. Please don't spray anything onto the MT-50! Please!

4. This is potentially the issue - I had forwarded this on to the team and I'll get an answer for you ASAP!

Edited by Cyph3r

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I don't think that screw is the issue, it simply goes up against a flat portion on the axle to make sure it rotates along with the rest for the sensor.

Have you made sure the cam is attached securely, I had something similar but retightening the cam screws fixed it.

I don't think that screw is the issue, it simply goes up against a flat portion on the axle to make sure it rotates along with the rest for the sensor.

Have you made sure the cam is attached securely, I had something similar but retightening the cam screws fixed it.

kingpinda, could you try re-tightening the cam screws just to confirm?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I'll try to find time tonight and report back. I hope I have such a small hex or torque drivers else it will be tomorrow when I have been to the hardware store.

I've spoken with the team and the screw you're referring to ensures the sensor rotates with the stick (as Vladinsky said). If there were an issue with this, the joysticks axis response would be all over the place!

So it seems like you just need to tighten up the cams. Also as mentioned your new cam set will be dispatched ASAP (I just need you to send me your order number as requested by email!)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I've spoken with the team and the screw you're referring to ensures the sensor rotates with the stick (as Vladinsky said). If there were an issue with this, the joysticks axis response would be all over the place!

So it seems like you just need to tighten up the cams. Also as mentioned your new cam set will be dispatched ASAP (I just need you to send me your order number as requested by email!)

Thanks for troubleshooting with me :) It appears it was indeed the pitch cam not being securely fastened. When opened i could even turn it by hand a few times. strangely this only became apparent when I started adjusting the springstrength.

Pitch axis is solved. roll axis still some noise but couldnt secure it any further. Probably coarse cams.

just a little feedback, as someone else I think also indicated, the circuit board is really weirdly fixated. I removed 2 screws. down came 2 nuts and washers.

when i went and put it all back together I had 3 nuts.. apparently those 2 nuts were used as spacers and the third nut fell off behind a piece of tie-wrap over the circuitboard. luckily the other nut was still behind the tie-wrap. I cannot help but feel that there is a more efficient and user friendly way to fix those things.

Also the hex/allen screws in the cams are not great quality and very small. I see why there are spares in the cam bag. My hand hex could barely dig into the screw and i had to use my battery screw driver on lowest setting to fasten it. One screw i know i need to replace if i get it out when my new cams arrive. nuts and bolts would have worked better in that scenario I think. But it probably needs to be as recessed as possible because of space restriction.

thanks again for all the help and info though. Ill put up with a bit of noise from the roll axis untill my new cams arrive :)

• Like 1

Thanks for troubleshooting with me :) It appears it was indeed the pitch cam not being securely fastened. When opened i could even turn it by hand a few times. strangely this only became apparent when I started adjusting the springstrength.

Pitch axis is solved. roll axis still some noise but couldnt secure it any further. Probably coarse cams.

just a little feedback, as someone else I think also indicated, the circuit board is really weirdly fixated. I removed 2 screws. down came 2 nuts and washers.

when i went and put it all back together I had 3 nuts.. apparently those 2 nuts were used as spacers and the third nut fell off behind a piece of tie-wrap over the circuitboard. luckily the other nut was still behind the tie-wrap. I cannot help but feel that there is a more efficient and user friendly way to fix those things.

Also the hex/allen screws in the cams are not great quality and very small. I see why there are spares in the cam bag. My hand hex could barely dig into the screw and i had to use my battery screw driver on lowest setting to fasten it. One screw i know i need to replace if i get it out when my new cams arrive. nuts and bolts would have worked better in that scenario I think. But it probably needs to be as recessed as possible because of space restriction.

thanks again for all the help and info though. Ill put up with a bit of noise from the roll axis untill my new cams arrive :)

Hi kingpinda - I'm glad it's sorted now! Yes your new cams set should resolve that remaining noise you have. :thumbup:

How are you finding the MT-50 otherwise? :pilotfly:

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Hi kingpinda - I'm glad it's sorted now! Yes your new cams set should resolve that remaining noise you have. :thumbup:

How are you finding the MT-50 otherwise? :pilotfly:

Been flying a bit of huey and p51D mostly.

Initially I thought the medium springs were to stiff. At that point I thought I would have liked a more balanced cam. One that isn't so stiff at the extremes. But when flying the P51-D it became apparent that the further you travel the stiffer the stick gets is very handy for the p51-D. Usually I would lose control very soon over the craft because I would be flying outside its envelope parameters. Now I can better fly at the crafts limits. Still suck at dogfighting AI (VIRPIL I THOUGHT I WOULD BE AN ACE WITH THIS BASE j/k) but now and again i can get a bead on them and even turn fight without falling out of the sky. I did my first Split-S boom and zoom and hit the bf-109 this afternoon!

Taking off and landing is excellent! so much control and the warthog with extension feel so good on your base! very sensitive inputs when the springs are tuned just right. I fly with a bit more slack on pitch than on roll. So the warthog dips ever so slightly according to the axis readout. This is ofcourse mitigated with trim on the craft but its a joy to fly those WWII crates!

With the Huey the stick works great as well. I don't trim anymore since I said goodbye to my logitect G940. Still with the relative stiffness of the springs I can cruise relaxed with two fingers at the base of the stick and when i need to make more aggresive manuevers I firmly grip it.

SOOO much better than the Warthog Gimbal! Complements the Warthog stick with extension beyond measure!

now to find some time to make a decent cockpit with a carseat because i can imagine myself sitting behind this stick for hours on end!

More flying Please! :pilotfly:

Edited by kingpinda

Can someone recommend a realistic cam and spring choice for a modern fighter (su-27, f/a-18 etc), and a cam/spring choice for a ww2 fighter? For use with the extension and Virpil grip of course. I'm interested in comparative weights and center friction

| Windows 10 | I7 4790K @ 4.4ghz | Asus PG348Q | Asus Strix 1080TI | 16GB Corsair Vengeance 2400 DDR3 | Asrock Fatal1ty Z97 | Samsung EVO 850 500GB (x2) | SanDisk 240GB Extreme Pro | Coolermaster Vanguard S 650Watt 80+ | Fractal Design R4 | VirPil T-50 | MFG Crosswind Graphite | KW-908 JetSeat Sim Edition | TrackIR 5 |

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]