3D Printed Switch Headers for VR

Blue73

Hi,

I play DCS in VR so like having shaped buttons I can easily find. I've built the launch bar, hook and canopy switch headers for F-18 to wrap around my rear switches. I used the existing screws to secure it down. Nothing is glued so they can be easily removed. I've added a small brass rod to pin the upper sections together but anything could be used, it would even be okay without it.

STL files attached.

HNfkHRU.jpg

5I8V7MB.jpg

0D1xiP1.png

7yXVaUy.png

GOOYoUP.jpg

cheers

John

SwitchWrapper.zip

Edited by Blue73

Wow, I like that! Can you share your file? I'd like to print this out on my 3D printer. :-)

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

looking good!!

i5 8400 | 32 Gb RAM | RTX 2080Ti | Virpil Mongoose T-50 base w/ Warthog & Hornet sticks | Warthog throttle | Cougar throttle USB | DIY Collective | Virpil desk mount | VKB T-Rudder Mk IV | Oculus Rift S | Buddy-Fox A-10 UFC | 3x TM MFDs | 2x bass shakers pedal plate| SIMple SIMpit chair | WinWing TakeOff panel | PointCTRL v2 | Andre JetSeat | Winwing Hornet UFC | Winwing Viper ICP

FC3 - Warthog - F-5E - Harrier - NTTR - Hornet - Tomcat - Huey - Viper - C-101 - PG - Hip - SuperCarrier - Syria - Warthog II - Hind - South Atlantic - Sinai - Strike Eagle

Thanks Guys. javelina can you PM me your email address so I can email them to you?

info inbound. thanks M8! :thumbup:

MSI MAG Z790 Carbon, i9-13900k, NH-D15 cooler, 64 GB CL40 6000mhz RAM, MSI RTX4090, Yamaha 5.1 A/V Receiver, 4x 2TB Samsung 980 Pro NVMe, 1x 2TB Samsung 870 EVO SSD, Win 11 Pro, TM Warthog, Virpil WarBRD, MFG Crosswinds, 43" Samsung 4K TV, 21.5 Acer VT touchscreen, TrackIR, Varjo Aero, Wheel Stand Pro Super Warthog, Phanteks Enthoo Pro2 Full Tower Case, Seasonic GX-1200 ATX3 PSU, PointCTRL, Buttkicker 2, K-51 Helicopter Collective Control

Very cool! I'm always amazed at the creativity around here.

Looking at your first couple of pictures though, this is what I immediately thought of :D

tomy.jpg

My friend had one many years ago and man it was just the greatest thing ever :joystick:

How much. To have you print a set out and ship to 88310

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.

BlacleyCole:

If you are referring to my post above and not to Blue73.

Sorry, this is just a hobby for me and I expect the postage from Australia would make it uneconomic for you.

However, you are welcome to the STL files if you wish to get them printed yourself.

Here are the files for the gear handle

619018353_Gearlever.thumb.JPG.83f6d6260b415a450ca3c2aad63e0b90.JPG

Gear lever.zip

The files for the Harrier nozzle lever are available in another thread...

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=217091

(Apologies to Blue73. I did not intend to hijack your thread)

• Like 1

Great minds .... etc.

I also came to the conclusion that a bit of 3D printing can improve the VR experience.

[ATTACH]191585[/ATTACH]

(The yellow lever is for setting the Harrier's nozzle angle. It has a detent at the 82° hover position).

Very nice Terry, it sure makes a difference also I'm from Aus as well! :)

Edited by Blue73

Blue73,

I really like your idea!

Someone should make an entire button box, with individual overlays, like this, that the user could configure as they want.

Thanks Golbin, funny your’re saying that. I’m building that very thing right now.

• 4 months later...

I don't know anything about 3D printing realities, but can I ask why did you go with the brass tube peg idea, and not make the two halves of the switch tops have interlocking parts? I.E. one side have a peg instead of a hole, and that fills the hole in the other piece?

Hi,

The main purpose was to strengthen the dimension in-line with the layers. But since designing this I've discovered the wonders of acetone with ABS. If I had to do it again I certainly would key the sides so they mesh together then acetone and sand the parts. My newest switch headers for the Hornet are a single block of plastic with pins driven through the toggle to secure it in place. Though I certainly wouldn't be drilling any holes through my Warthog switches. Also the black guides are now much smaller, almost a 1/5th the size.

I don't know anything about 3D printing realities, but can I ask why did you go with the brass tube peg idea, and not make the two halves of the switch tops have interlocking parts? I.E. one side have a peg instead of a hole, and that fills the hole in the other piece?

The one problem with this is the you want a flat surface to print from, so having a peg section can be problematic.

In 3D printing you ideally want a flat surface on the bed, well you really have to have one and then remember that anything with a overhang of say more than 40 degrees has to be supported in some way. You can not print something just hanging in the air if that makes sense. (There are ways around this, but not simple and can affect the print quality)

• 4 months later...

Love the work Guys!!! Ive been a printing fool lately.

Anything new? :D

Intel i7 9700k, 64GB DDR4 (Corsair), Gigabyte Z390 Master, RTX 2080 Ti AMP 11gb, 500GB Sabrent Rocket (System), 1TB XPG Gammix S11 Pro M.2 (DCS), Windows 11 64-bit Pro, Samsung 49" 4K CRG9 Monitor (5120x1440), Samsung Odyssey Plus, TrackIR 5, Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, Various streamdecks, button boxes, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, Corsair K95 Platinum, Iron Claw mouse.

DCS OB, F-14B Tomcat, F-18C Hornet, F-16C Viper, A-10C Warthog, F-5 Tiger II, AV-8B Harrier, P-51D Mustang, FC3, Super Carrier

Thrustmaster Warthog Hotas, (3) Cougar MFD's, Logitech Pro Rudder Pedals, (2) Stream Decks, (1) Stream Deck XL, (1) Stream Deck Mini, Misc Button Boxes

• 3 months later...

Great job.

Nice to see more and more 3D projects.

Did any one make it for the X-56 ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

IAF Bell205

IAF Anafa

-----------------------

DCS World Modules: A-10C, FC3, MiG-21BiS, F-86, P-51, KA-50, UH-1H Huey, Mi-8, M2000K, Gazal, Bf109, Mig-15, Hawk and NTTR

-----------------------

My System - ASUS Maximus HERO iiiv, CoolMaster 120 Sadion Plus, I7 -6700K @4.0, G.Skill ddr4 16GB ram, Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 , PSU Seasonic X-650W, OCZ 150 500Gb ssd drive X2, Seagate 7200 1T X2.

-------------

• 9 months later...

Hmm, I just start working on the a same problem like you this evening in fusion360. Nice to see, someone else have a solution! Anyway, what do you use for fixing the two parts? That is not a screw. Can you link it, please?

My project is this for landing gear:

Edited by bunnyhu

Hi,

I did use a single pin (thin brass rod) to keep the two halves together, but to truly keep them together and to prevent rotation I had to print the base plate with the half circle guides. In the end the fit between them was tight enough that I didn't even need the pin. When I built my next switch header I downsized the guides, they worked just as well. You can see below.

cheers

John

VYjNZPe.jpg

My soluton for the caps. Also need some anti-rotate solution and cleaning :)