Using the Altimeter

No, QFE is not used in the US. Perhaps in the days before radar altimeters (or GPS) some airlines used it, but in the 50 years I've been flying in the US (civil and military, and overseas) I've NEVER had to use QFE.

Kirk

PPL before I could drive a car, power and glider commercial, 20 years F-4 WSO in USAF.

Hi Kirk,

I'm not sure to whom you are referring, but from my perspective, DCS only ever reports QFE; when requesting take off, and when reporting inbound to an airfield/port.

From 'in-game', it's all one has to work with.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

No, QFE is not used in the US. Perhaps in the days before radar altimeters (or GPS) some airlines used it, but in the 50 years I've been flying in the US (civil and military, and overseas) I've NEVER had to use QFE.

Kirk

PPL before I could drive a car, power and glider commercial, 20 years F-4 WSO in USAF.

Well, you're right I had in mind GA, I don't think airliners are using QFE anywhere.

But regarding USAF, while I have to believe your words obviously I know indeed they uses QFE as I also know military ATCs where USAF operates, they usually request for QFE and are quite upset when here in Spain we only have QNH available.

However, there's no point in who uses what where, whether you use QNH or QFE the important thing is you know what they are and how to use them.

S!

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

However, there's no point in who uses what where, whether you use QNH or QFE the important thing is you know what they are and how to use them.

Hey, I like that bit.

Rounds this thread up nicely.

I7 2600K @ 3.8, CoolerMaster 212X, EVGA GTX 1070 8gb. RAM 16gb Corsair, 1kw PSU. 2 x WD SSD. 1 x Samsung M2 NVMe. 3 x HDD. Saitek X-52. Saitek Pro Flight pedals. CH Flight Sim yoke. TrackIR 5. Win 10 Pro. IIyama 1080p. MSAA x 2, SSAA x 1.5. Settings High. Harrier/Spitfire/Beaufighter/The Channel, fanboy..