Create Fast Mission - On EASY setting - Getting My #$% Kicked

SnowTiger

I am having a great deal of difficulty getting far without getting killed (seemingly from out of nowhere !!).

I have gone through the "Training", "Missions" and "Instant Action Missions" so I decided to try the "Create Fast Mission". In fact, I have tried several.

I set up the most basic of missions, set in Daytime, Summer, Starting at Noon (so lots of daylight and hopefully minimal wind) and Most Importantly, I have it set on EASY.

I don't bother going into the Mission Editor, I simply hit Generate and Play.

If EASY is really easy, then it's going to be a VERY long time before I get anywhere near the HARD missions/setting.

The fact is, I didn't even think to hit F10 until the other day. Up to that point, I took my time flying towards the single waypoint, knowing there would be trouble long before I got there.

But I am always getting shot by a Tank from (what seems like) 2 miles away. It really pisses me off to say the least !!!

But the last 2 days I have been checking out the Map and know pretty much exactly where all the enemies are. And I still get my A$$ handed to me LONG before I kill many enemies.

What is going on ? Is there something wrong with the EASY mode or am I really that useless ?

My flying has improved quite a bit, although I can still hardly hit anything with Rockets. But lately, I don't even get a chance to think about using them.

What am I doing wrong or what must I do to simplify these Easy Missions in order that I can still learn but not always the hard way ?

I really need some help with this (or something) .. preferably Before I put my fist through my monitor !!! LOL

SnowTiger:joystick:

If EASY is really easy, then it's going to be a VERY long time before I get anywhere near the HARD missions/setting.

I haven't used that "Create fast mission" feature much myself. I think when set to easy it omits threats like medium range SAMs and enemy fighters, but I might be wrong here.

The thing is, it doesn't mean that the threats that are placed on the battlefield are any less threatening than they would be in any other scenario. They just lack the backup they would normally have (and their skill might be set to lower values when selecting Easy so that they take longer to acquire targets and are more likely to miss).

But I am always getting shot by a Tank from (what seems like) 2 miles away. It really pisses me off to say the least !!!

If this is anywhere near the actual range, you're doing something wrong. :smartass:

Your Vikhr ATGMs have a range of at least 7 km (up to 11 km in manual mode, depending on wind and a few other factors). If you find yourself within the engagement range of an MBT, your way too close.

Don't just blindly follow the flight plan. Keep a lot of distance and scout ahead. Make a battle plan, destroying the most threatening targets first and then going after the softer or easier targets.

If you have a wingman, have him recce ahead, that's one of the few things the AI is really good at. He'll keep sending targets over datalink so that the Abris will show them and you can use the datalink + auto turn to target in order to get them into the Shkval.

But basically, it does take a very long time to get good at this, you're definitely not alone there. :)

(I haven't flown the Black Shark in a long while and I'm not particularly good at it; the above is just the way that worked best for me :thumbup:)

I guess we all got shot down almost every time we started flying the Shark..It is really not easy and takes time...your problem is most likely that you fly blindly in enemy Territorry at fairly high altitude and get too close..so..stay low..use cover..open your eyes (smoke trails from enemy IR missiles)..allways scan the surrounding for Targets..or like Yurgon said..send your Wingman to RECCE..and if Betty says "warning" turn away instantly, take cover (hills, buildings, etc) and restart your attack. What really needs training is spotting the targets, because in DCS groundtargets are sometimes very hard to see..especially if you use a high res terrain mod. So you could turn on lables at first to get a feeling for it.

Edited by Lizzard

My Specs:

I don`t care..it is a Computer..a black one..

Hello again and Thanks for the Replies.

After giving it all some deep thought, and reading the Manual a bit more (for DCS World), I can see a few things I can do differently.

The fact that I only started looking at the Map 2 days ago is one thing.

I do in fact, come in low and slow and I do NOT follow the Waypoint Lines/Path .. any more !!

I can't really tell you how far the tanks are when they get me but it's when I'm in a hover taking out other targets. As it usually is in real life, it's the one's I don't see that get me.

But one thing I haven't done is Edit the Missions before flying.

A huge improvement would be for me to take a Wing Man (i.e. cannon fodder !!).

I am a bit confused with one aspect of the editing though (well actually ... MANY aspects) and that is with regards to "Which Color is the Enemy" ?

I finished a pre-made mission that said I committed Fratricide (I had no idea there were friendlies amongst the enemies). How can you tell friend from foe in the field without Labels ?

But in the Mission Editor, you can set up how many (low, med, hi .. etc) planes, choppers, vehicles etc, for Blue Team and Red Team. But it doesn't say who is who ?

I am used to RED being the Enemy ... but then I guess if you are in a Russian aircraft, then wouldn't that be the Red Team ?

That said, my Pilot is a Canadian but I fly a Black Shark. So which color is my team versus which is the Enemy ?

Sorry .. this may all seem mute .but I can't seem to find anything in the Manuals that defines who is who.

The only thing I found (which I still don't get) is that the Pilot's Log Book will not show Scores unless the Pilot flies craft for Their Country. So if I only have a Canadian Pilot but the Mission makes you a Russian, then as far as I understand it, MY Pilot will not show the relevant Scores in the Log Book !!!

I know ... Newbs right !!??? LOL

You can tell friend from foe by knowing what nations use what vehicles. I dont think the KA-50 has some sort of datalink like the A10 that marks friendlies on the map (i could very well be wrong though)

It just takes time if you dont have any current knowledge on ground forces... all i can suggest is looking in the ME to see what kind of vehicles the enemy can use , then looking those vehicles up in the encyclopedia.

Good luck

I used to use the Create Fast Mission feature ALOT , its great practise to learn to spot enemies and generally work on your situational awareness and weapon employment (however it can feel like a target practise range at times becouse they just move a little and then don't do anything else)

Edited by McBlemmen

The Coalition thing in Missioneditor and the unit Colors do not matter.

You can set Russia to Blue like every other Country.

But keep in mind that the Blue units shown in the ABRIS Movingmap (if they are set on Visible) are always your enemy!!!

Saying again:

ABRIS+Blue Circle = Enemy :book:

Next:

If you slowly come into the Targetzone (that should be around 15-20km out of the Hot zone normaly) try to make a Plan for your attack.

- Stop!! >>>> uncage Shkval look into the Targetzone via Shkval and eyes only.

+ if you find something do not hurry to attack it have a look to the groundspace between you and your Target.

-If you find nothing try to approach the Targetzone from another angle.

+ You can do that by doing a V Manouver. This Manouvers flightpath is looking like a big V from above > Turn around fly some km´s back (1-5 should be enough) and come out somewhere more right or left.

- Use Systems.

+The Datalink system can be very helpfull if you can manage to save known Target positions.

Tipps

-If you are unsure with step 1 about enemy positions and threads proceed with step 2

-try not to stay in one and the same position for very long

+ Go there > have a look (1~5 scans with shkval)

if you find something = step 1

if you find nothing go somwhere else to have a look = step 2

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom

Hello again.

Thanks for the detailed explanation of tactics. I have since been employing those and some others that I read in other resources. It has helped.

One thing I learned from you is that Blue "in the ABRISS" is always the enemy. That is very good to know.

And just when I was going to suggest that not having this same rule in the ME (Mission Editor) was just confusing, I finally found the "Coalition" selection feature Today !!

I missed that somewhere along the line. But that part is very important to know.

So I "think" I'm all set or at least I should be with the exception of a worn out and problematic X-52 which makes Trimming a dangerous prospect. When it works, it works great. But I am getting some bad input with my Stick. Looking at the "Ctrl + Enter" thingy, without touching the cyclic it is already and always to the Left of the Centre Line.

So, I broke down and ordered a new Saitek® Pro Flight™ X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S. on Friday. Not yet sure when I'll get it because it's a long weekend.

So at this point I just need to do ALLOT of reading .... again; paying a bit more attention to specifics this time around. And I'll watch videos .... again.

And I'll Practice, Practice, Practice .. as I have been doing ... when not fighting my HOTAS or otherwise screaming at my poor performance ....LOL ~!

The one thing I really look forward to mastering is the ability to orbit around a target (or target area) all the while maintaining a Nose-To-Target aspect. i.e. Side-Slipping in a circle.

At least then I might be able to hit something with Rockets.

Anyway, sorry for rambling on here. I just really wanted to say Thank You again.

I do appreciate the replies and suggestions. They are all valued and I'm putting them all in practice.

• 3 years later...

I am having problems with aircraft labels after creating mission in dcs mission editor. Anyone have suggestions as to why I cannot get the labels option to work? It works if I go to instant action scenarios. Working to make missions for F-18.

Nothing new, mission generator was left behind almost soon as they relased it.

Generates bad missions , so you have to fix them manually.

Couple ”easy” fixes. To ED:

Make planes start more far away. Use more airbase takeoffs

Force helos leave planes alone.

And if player files F86 etc... adjust enemy sam’s / AA to be maybe just guns. And maybe su27 in other side is not best idea ever ;)

Would make those missions 100x better.

Now it just generates furballs , all units too close to other.

Zero Sense in those missions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oculus CV1, Odyssey, Pimax 5k+ (i5 8400, 24gb ddr4 3000mhz, 1080Ti OC )

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I am having problems with aircraft labels after creating mission in dcs mission editor. Anyone have suggestions as to why I cannot get the labels option to work? It works if I go to instant action scenarios. Working to make missions for F-18.

The only suggestion I have is to check the Mission Options in ME to see if Labels is Checked.

If the Fast Mission doesn't check this by default, I'm guessing it will not be a permitted feature within the mission.

Check it out. Hopefully this will help.

PS> I believe you will still have to select the keyboard command for Labels on/off once in the mission, but the Mission Options determines whether or not the function works within the mission.

Again .... I'm pretty much guessing ... but that is what I'd check first.

Feel for you bro. I´ve flown the Black Shark since it came out on and off.

Probably about 100 missions. I don't think I've completeded more than a couple. You've got no chance, and this is not how missions are flown in real life.

What I did couple of months ago, was to join a virtual squad and started training and playing multiplayer missions there. Handmade missions, which where made to be "enjoyed" and have real briefings and real planning. Couple that with learning communications and tactics with real people, you've got yourself a brand new playable sim right there :)

Edited by Siinji

I have to agree with Siinji a bit.

I flew the Ka-50 for quite a while and the Huey and the Gazelle.

If you don't know where the enemy is, you've got problems. However, at least now the trees are solid objects that the AI cannot see through any better than we can whereas previously, you'd get shot without every seeing where they were if they were in a stand of trees.

Manpads and Surface to Air missiles and vehicles with TOW missiles etc often have much further range than ANY of the DCS Choppers have. So unless you know where the enemies are and what they consist of and/or you know they don't have the means to reach out and touch you before you are even in range to shoot, you are going to get smoked almost every time.

I love flying the choppers but I don't often fly into battle zones. It's a fight you are most apt to lose IMO.