Showing Failures

dresoccer4

hello fellow virtual pilots. i just got this module a few days ago (its my first hi fidelity module) and am having a blast. my current goals are to push the engine over the limit in all sorts of different ways so i know its limits.

however, i would like to know if there's a way to see in-game what it is you just broke. when i bring up the score window, it just reports "failure". which is extremely helpful (*sarcasm*).

so, is this a feature that exists, or do we just gotta guess?

cheers! :pilotfly:

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

hello fellow virtual pilots. i just got this module a few days ago (its my first hi fidelity module) and am having a blast. my current goals are to push the engine over the limit in all sorts of different ways so i know its limits.

however, i would like to know if there's a way to see in-game what it is you just broke. when i bring up the score window, it just reports "failure". which is extremely helpful (*sarcasm*).

so, is this a feature that exists, or do we just gotta guess?

cheers! :pilotfly:

You can hear the engine growl when its nearing to a failure. Also, keep your coolant temp in green.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

You can hear the engine growl when its nearing to a failure. Also, keep your coolant temp in green.

there are many things that can cause engine failure, and all sorts of other failures. did your coolant spring a leak, did your tail wheel lock break, did you burn out a nav light?

it would be great to know what you did to your plane

Acer Predator Triton 700 || i7-7700HQ || 512GB SSD || 32GB RAM || GTX1080 Max-Q || FFB II and Thrustmaster TWCS Throttle || All DCS Modules

there are many things that can cause engine failure, and all sorts of other failures. did your coolant spring a leak, did your tail wheel lock break, did you burn out a nav light?

it would be great to know what you did to your plane

There are no leaks in DCS. There are no indications for any failures other than them not working.

Just pay attention.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

There are no leaks in DCS. There are no indications for any failures other than them not working.

Just pay attention.

no leaks? i swear i've been shot at and had different fluids leak out. coolant, oil, fuel, etc..

but if you say so then i'll just have to stay bummed that DCS doesn't tell you what has failed in an after report or something

Solty means there are generic "leaks" after being shot at, but they're only visual effects, not tied in any way to the actual damage of the airplane systems.

More thorough damage modelling is in the works, some developer's hints can be found in this thread:

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=170625

... but we'll have to wait for it quite a bit.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Ask yourself what indications a real pilot gets in a Mustang when he gets failures. Just the same as you get at present, something stops working, and therefore must have failed.

Why should we get anthing they don't?

lol i see your point but it's kind of silly. this is a game, we get lots of things "they" don't. if we get shot down we get to try again. you can turn on labels. you can have unlimited weapons if you want!

at the end of a real mission, a mechanic would be able to tell you what systems has been damaged or failed. every system has been meticulously modeled and you can choose to have them fail in the ME. i'm just saying it would be nice that after a mission ends you could see details like what systems were shot or even what you managed to hit on the enemies. versus what it says right now which i think just says "hit". the game knows, it just doesn't want to tell us :)

No, it is not a game, it is a simulation. You need to monitor your gauges, feel the way the plane handles, and fault find the hard way.

Every time you start a mission, you start with a "brand new" engine. The wear and tear doesn't yet carry over from mission to mission, and really, it ought to.

You will not find designers who strive to capture all the systems modelling, and realistic flight envelopes will take kindly to adding all kinds of nonsensical warnings when you have taken damage, or failures occur.

Trust me, you'll soon know when an engine seizes in the Mustang, and when you ignore the gauges, that's what is meant to happen.

sorry dude, you can call it whatever you like but it's also most definitely a game. anyway, the feature that you are arguing with me about actually already exists. i stumbled upon it accidentally. would have been a lot easier if someone could have pointed me in the right direction from the start. it tells you exactly what system was damaged, perfect! :)

I, and many many other people will take huge issue with this being a simulation and not a game. And no, it isn't simply down to semantics. I think if it were a game, then the designers would have included a dynamic campaign system from the beginning, and not worried about technicalities like accurate systems and flight models.

I guess we're the same people who care about spelling and punctuation.

However, I am glad you found what you required, but do keep it to yourself so anyone else with a similar issue will have to find out for themselves too!

lol i see your point but it's kind of silly. this is a game, we get lots of things "they" don't. if we get shot down we get to try again. you can turn on labels. you can have unlimited weapons if you want!

at the end of a real mission, a mechanic would be able to tell you what systems has been damaged or failed. every system has been meticulously modeled and you can choose to have them fail in the ME. i'm just saying it would be nice that after a mission ends you could see details like what systems were shot or even what you managed to hit on the enemies. versus what it says right now which i think just says "hit". the game knows, it just doesn't want to tell us :)

I just didn't understand what you meant. I assumed you mean something like in Jane's Attack Squadron, where when you got hit, a big box of red letters appeared and said "coolant leaking".

After a mission you have a big box which says what failed, yes but not during and also it just says "failure" and doesn't specifly why it failed, there is no cause.

I'm glad you found your answer though:smartass:

My channel:

sorry dude, you can call it whatever you like but it's also most definitely a game. anyway, the feature that you are arguing with me about actually already exists. i stumbled upon it accidentally. would have been a lot easier if someone could have pointed me in the right direction from the start. it tells you exactly what system was damaged, perfect! :)

Would You mind what feature it is? I'd love to be able to get a more detailed post-mission report on what happened to the AC. That would make torubleshooting and bug reporting much easier.

i7 9700K @ stock speed, single GTX1070, 32 gigs of RAM, TH Warthog, MFG Crosswind, Win10.

Would You mind what feature it is? I'd love to be able to get a more detailed post-mission report on what happened to the AC. That would make torubleshooting and bug reporting much easier.

you can get it in game or after game by looking at the score window and searching for "event" type "failure". it's been super handy.

note that the failure event type is only an option if something actually failed.

You must be thinking of BF4 or something else, this is a simulation. As do most, I use the instruments to tell me what's going on and you're going to have to learn how to do it as well. The last thing we need are arcade messages popping up to tell us what happened. Having said that, I am pretty sure you can see what was broken after the flight.

I9 9900k @ 5ghz water cooled, 32gb ram, GTX 2080ti, 1tb M.2, 2tb hdd, 1000 watt psu TrackIR 5, TM Warthog Stick and Throttle, CH Pedals

You must be thinking of BF4 or something else, this is a simulation. As do most, I use the instruments to tell me what's going on and you're going to have to learn how to do it as well. The last thing we need are arcade messages popping up to tell us what happened. Having said that, I am pretty sure you can see what was broken after the flight.

please read above post. DCS already does what i was asking about. no one said anything about arcade messages, no need for the condescending post. and i dont know what BF4 is

If i get shot @ no matter from what or who i dont worry about what broke or still could break until i'm somewhat "safe".

I go the same route if someting breaks,

(engine in this case), damaged or allready broken beyond Fubar. Just decide what you still can do with your plane and what you cant do. If your wing gets in a different direction then your FUS you know

what happend right?

If my engine breaks somehow, in 90% off all cases it was human error and if it is human error you do know why it broke ;-)

If your wing is gone, to many g's

flaps are broken, to much speed

Guns do not shoot straight anymore, overheating the barrels, i.e. you bend them

Engine breaks, to much MFP or RPM, even some fuel issue can be the case.

The 51d has everything you need to know to prevent anything mentioned above @ the instrumentpanel or just above the flap lever.

Edited by LURKINGBADGER

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Ask yourself what indications a real pilot gets in a Mustang when he gets failures. Just the same as you get at present, something stops working, and therefore must have failed.

Why should we get anthing they don't?

Your needs may may not match the needs of other people. Lots of reasons a person might want to explore additional data.

Analysis of this type of data is of interest to a mission designer OR someone observing the simulation for proper accuracy.

For people observing the sim behaviour there is already enough "black box" behaviour so that a lot of bug reporting is based on heresay. Much better for people to have hard data.