Basic flight management questions

Bahger

Loving the stick-and-rudder flying, really wakes your feet up after years of jet sims.

A couple of things would be useful to know. Some of them pertain to basic HOTAS management:

- Is there a recommended elevator trim setting for takeoff? If so, what is it and is it possible to verify this setting by any means other than the position of the trim wheel?

- Is there a key command to neutralise rudder trim only?

- This is my first experience in a sim controlling power output with both throttle and RPM input. Do you prop-heads set RPM to a throttle button? I don't think I have a spare axis to map. Given the workload in trimming the airplane and setting mixture etc., on climbout it would be great to have a way to manage power settings without taking one's hands off the throttle and stick, especially as the RPM lever is often invisible behind the virtual throttle.

- As above: Do you guys map mixture control to a HOTAS or is that considered unrealsitic and, if you have to take your hands off the controls IRL to throw a lever, that's how you do it in the sim?

Thanks!

- Is there a recommended elevator trim setting for takeoff? If so, what is it and is it possible to verify this setting by any means other than the position of the trim wheel?

2 degrees without fuel drop-tanks/4 degrees with.

No.

Your rudder will very very rarely be neutral. You should ALWAYS be trimming at all flight parameters......keep the ball centred with rudder trim - you will see that you are constantly trimming with the rudder very rarely at neutral.

Do you prop-heads set RPM to a throttle button?

CH Quadrant is a very good investment :)

Do you guys map mixture control to a HOTAS or is that considered unrealsitic and, if you have to take your hands off the controls IRL to throw a lever, that's how you do it in the sim?

You very rarely fiddle with the mixture control - set to run and off you go. No need for a lever, mouse works just fine.

Novice or Veteran looking for an alternative MP career?

Click me to commence your Journey of Pillage and Plunder!

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

'....And when I get to Heaven, to St Peter I will tell....

One more Soldier reporting Sir, I've served my time in Hell......'

This is covered in the manual and in one of the training missions as well (I believe start-up). Real P-51 manuals differ on the recommended elevator trim setting, but the general idea is that it should be trimmed more nose-heavy when the fuselage fuel tank is loaded with more than 25 gallons of fuel. This is because a loaded fuselage tank pulls the CG well aft and the aircraft tends to pitch up much more violently. The recommended settings we adopted (late in beta) was to keep elevator trim neutral normally and to set it to 4-5 degrees nose-heavy when the fuselage tank is filled with more than 25 gallons. Default mission setting is full wing tanks and an empty fuselage tank (68% fuel), so you can takeoff with neutral trim unless the fuel load is altered for the mission.

Viper's instructions above are valid as well. Again, elevator trim recommendations vary in real P-51 manuals.

No, only reset of all trimmers. We will consider adding individual trim reset commands.

- This is my first experience in a sim controlling power output with both throttle and RPM input. Do you prop-heads set RPM to a throttle button? I don't think I have a spare axis to map.
You should be fine controlling RPM using keyboard commands. It generally doesn't require very fine control, unlike the throttle and trimmers.
Edited by EvilBivol-1

- EB

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Nothing is easy. Everything takes much longer.

The Parable of Jane's A-10

Forum Rules

No, only reset of all trimmers. We will consider adding individual trim reset commands.

Was their any trim reset function, either all or individual, in the real aircraft or did the pilot have to return the knobs to zero by hand?

EDIT: Giving that a moments thought and it really seems unlikely that you would ever use a trim reset function, while airborne, in real life.

Edited by cichlidfan

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

No, there is no trim reset in reality.

I suspected as much, so a standard slider/rotary is realistic.

I did mention elsewhere how much I like the slider, on the Warthog throttle, for rudder trim.:P

Thanks much!

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

EDIT: Giving that a moments thought and it really seems unlikely that you would ever use a trim reset function, while airborne, in real life.

Yes, given the trim sensibility a reset would spell disaster.

Good, fast, cheap. Choose any two.

Come let's eat grandpa!

Use punctuation, save lives!

........a reset would spell disaster.

As the Kamov illustrates well. Hitting that input once was enough to cure me for life :D

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• ED Team

Some hints for those who want to use absolute axes for trim.

Input settings.

It's very individual but I think these values can be taken as initial.

Rudder - Curvature 22 to have smooth control near zero and full authority for take off.

Rudder trim - Saturation Y 20...25 (6-7.5 degrees of rudder max), Curvature 0...10

Elevator trim - Saturation 20, Curvature 15

These setting are good to have precise control.

If your devices allow to have more resolution for elevator trim you can extend Y saturation range.

Ніщо так сильно не ранить мозок, як уламки скла від розбитих рожевих окулярів

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Some hints for those who want to use absolute axes for trim.

Input settings.

It's very individual but I think these values can be taken as initial.

Rudder - Curvature 22 to have smooth control near zero and full authority for take off.

Rudder trim - Saturation Y 20...25 (6-7.5 degrees of rudder max), Curvature 0...10

Elevator trim - Saturation 20, Curvature 15

These setting are good to have precise control.

If your devices allow to have more resolution for elevator trim you can extend Y saturation range.

Sticky Collection entry!

Should I set the RPM axis to my friction slider on the TM Warthog? Anyone else tried that?

Lyndiman

AMD Ryzen 3600 / RTX 2070 Super / 32G Ram / Win10 / TrackIR 5 Pro / Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals

• ED Team
Should I set the RPM axis to my friction slider on the TM Warthog? Anyone else tried that?

There are several ways to use TMW. Friction slider for rudder trim and the second throttle for the elevator trim seems weird... but you must try it! :)

There is nothing so hurtful for the brain as splinters of broken rose-coloured spectacles.

Ничто так сильно не ранит мозг, как осколки стекла от разбитых розовых очков (С) Me

Trim is not a precise science in flight sims, you lack the tactile feedback from trimming via a wheel in a real-life a/c. I have it set directionally, i.e. elevator and aileron trim, to the trim hat on my stick, but given the importance of rudder trim for this flight model, maybe I should replace the aileron trim assignment with rudder trim, what do you think?

Ans I don't think it's "cheating" to have the virtual flight control panel graphic switched on!

I'm at work so can't test it myself but does this work for the DCS versions tailwheel?........

"Taxi with stick slightly aft of neutral. This will lock the tail wheel. In the locked position the tail wheel may be turned 6 degrees to the right or left by use of the rudder pedals. For sharp turns, push stick forward of the neutral position to allow the tail wheel full swiveling action. Use brakes as little as possible. "

Cheers,

Stonehouse

I'm at work so can't test it myself but does this work for the DCS versions tailwheel?........

"Taxi with stick slightly aft of neutral. This will lock the tail wheel. In the locked position the tail wheel may be turned 6 degrees to the right or left by use of the rudder pedals. For sharp turns, push stick forward of the neutral position to allow the tail wheel full swiveling action. Use brakes as little as possible. "

Cheers,

Stonehouse

Yes, that's the idea. It works but the sharp turns require differential wheel braking. Without toe brakes on my pedals I can't begin to think how to map that to my HOTAS. Using keyboard for differential braking is an act of contortionism because you need a hand on the throttle.

• ED Team
Trim is not a precise science in flight sims, you lack the tactile feedback from trimming via a wheel in a real-life a/c. I have it set directionally, i.e. elevator and aileron trim, to the trim hat on my stick, but given the importance of rudder trim for this flight model, maybe I should replace the aileron trim assignment with rudder trim, what do you think?

Ans I don't think it's "cheating" to have the virtual flight control panel graphic switched on!

Aileron trim is almost unnecessary in P-51 so the main trm is rudder trim. Elevator trim is mostly essential for cruise flight.

You very rarely fiddle with the mixture control - set to run and off you go.

Question, since I haven't purchased P-51 yet. (Waiting for further word of mp) Are the Idle Cutoff/Run OR Idle Cutoff/Auto Lean/Auto Rich/Full Rich settings modeled?

Question, since I haven't purchased P-51 yet. (Waiting for further word of mp) Are the Idle Cutoff/Run OR Idle Cutoff/Auto Lean/Auto Rich/Full Rich settings modeled?

Yes. To clarify, it's IDLE CUTOFF, RUN and FULL RICH.

Edited by 159th_Viper

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As Viper said. Different version.

AUTO LEAN was disabled for late models. RUN = AUTO RICH

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=87428