Can You Fly AND Fight in the Hind Completely From The Front Seat?

Bearfoot

It will be a bit more than just flying straight: https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=3341529#post3341529

I know that, but it is only for spotting. Not to fly around and maneuvering while guiding the missile or to perform a proper attack.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

Here you're wrong. Even in jets either one of them can be senior.

Sure, but as far I know, it is more traditional that senior is at rear than at front or "either way".

I know that, but it is only for spotting. Not to fly around and maneuvering while guiding the missile or to perform a proper attack.

Uhm, no, it's not just spotting. Have you even read what they wrote?!

We are aiming to implement control over AI functionality with help of AI GUI which will allow you to use only 4 buttons to give AI specific commands regarding:

Heading

Speed

ALtitude

Maneuvers

Hover menu

Target choice

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

Uhm, no, it's not just spotting. Have you even read what they wrote?!

Maneuvers itself doesn't yet say anything, and yes, it is about spotting.

Like you can do maneuvers like "pop-up" or "slide left" or "turn slip" and "drop in cover" or "hover". All those are maneuvers.

I specifically said that while you are guiding a missile, that you would have AI automatically perform the maneuvers in +/- 60 degree heading to avoid incoming fire.

Can you find that in your spotting paper? No...?

warrant officers do not hold a commission, so yes they are non commissioned officers or NCO..

they hold a warrant which makes them senior to people without a warrant.

which is every other NCO.

so they are senior NCO. as high as you can go without a commission.

they have their own mess and everything :)

Still not technically true in the US Army. See here: https://www.goarmy.com/careers-and-jobs/become-an-officer/army-officer-jobs.html

You can see in the paragraph about Warrant Officers that they are not commissioned as WO1s, but when they are promoted to CW2 and beyond, they are given a commission by POTUS.

Edited by heloguy

i9 12900k @ 4.9ghz, 32gb RAM

Nvidia RTX 3090

Windows 11 x64

Valve Index

Brunner CLS-E w/RS F16GRH, Virpil TCS Rotor Plus Collective, BRD F1 Pedals, WH Throttle, FSSB R3 w/WH Grip, PointCTRL v1

Maneuvers itself doesn't yet say anything, and yes, it is about spotting.

Like you can do maneuvers like "pop-up" or "slide left" or "turn slip" and "drop in cover" or "hover". All those are maneuvers.

I specifically said that while you are guiding a missile, that you would have AI automatically perform the maneuvers in +/- 60 degree heading to avoid incoming fire.

Can you find that in your spotting paper? No...?

I can find in there that the AI is supposed to carry out maneuvers. It doesn't say what kind of maneuvers, so everything is possible in that regard. Maybe it includes the maneuvers you mentioned, maybe not. We don't if they will be included, but we also don't know the opposite.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

I can find in there that the AI is supposed to carry out maneuvers. It doesn't say what kind of maneuvers, so everything is possible in that regard. Maybe it includes the maneuvers you mentioned, maybe not. We don't if they will be included, but we also don't know the opposite.

Yes it is possible, but as we do not know then it doesn't help much to say "you can tell AI to for X degrees" as then you are micromanaging pilot to change direction.

It didn't say anything about the maneuvers (I told you I know that post, understand it and even commented it back then) while guiding missile. We can only assume there would be all kind fancy things, as already AI does the basic things in fighters BVR combat that after launch to decelerate and turn away in gimbal limits etc. And we should expect to see similar that AI does now that they would start proper maneuvers if required, but if you look at AI behavior now.... It needs updating, as one likely can't pull such maneuvers while guiding missile, or be happy when they fly just straight. Why spotting is important that AI knows what and where it is engaging and takes proper maneuvers in the context based that spotting.

But anyways we just need to hope that ED gets things eventually nicely done as always. And we can keep discussions about the situation for coming years.

By bigbhope is that ED uses such a new spotting mechanism for all AI if it works well in Mi-24. But still hope to see a manual own visual spotting based communication to assist AI to look given area regardless module.

Aren't the hind's systems all fixed forward? Or does the cannon swivel a bit? If it swivels, then all you need is the pilot ai to hold altitude in a line or an orbit so you can operate the gunner for a bit. If you've ever seen Apache guncam vids from the middle east, they are typically orbiting from a long ways off. That would be easy AI pilot functionality I'd say.

Banner EDForum2020.jpg

You're correct, all weaponry is fixed forward-firing. The Mi-24 tactical employment is a little different from the Apache or Ka-50. While the latter make their money in a hover using missiles and camera-slaved cannon to do the job, the Mi-24's bread and butter is to come in very fast hugging the ground (we're talking 5-10m on the radalt), pull the collective to pop up, and let fly a couple of cannon or rocket salvos before breaking away and egressing at low altitude to set up the next run.

EDIT: