Head Tracking

Hey Guys,

Curious to hear what you are using for head tracking if you use it? I have tried "TrackNOIR" which utilises a regular webcam and considering how cheap it is (£2.25 for the software) it works pretty good but wanted to see what other option are out there and whetehr they work any better?

Cheers

Rattler21

I use the same, FacetrackNoir ... but with a Sony ps3eye webcam, modified with an ir filter.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

How do U provide the light source?

DeLan clip is a very lightweight device that Velcro's on to the side of headphones and provides 3 red LEDs for the Sony camera to track with Face track Noir software, think I paid around £45 for the Camera and clip.

Works great for DCS, FSX etc..

DeLan clip is a very lightweight device that Velcro's on to the side of headphones and provides 3 red LEDs for the Sony camera to track with Face track Noir software, think I paid around £45 for the Camera and clip.

Works great for DCS, FSX etc..

Cheers mate I will look into that

I use a PS3 eye camera mounted on a plastic monitor clip with a piece of exposed 35mm negative in front, a delan clip attached to my headset and opentrack. The PS3 cameras needs a special driver CLeye. Its a great setup.

The delan clip is worth the money and has lasted ages as has the PS3 camera..

https://delanengineering.com

https://github.com/opentrack

https://codelaboratories.com/products/eye/driver/

Regards

Plastic..

Edited by Plastic
Updated

Plastic

I haven't found anything that works nearly as well as TrackIR 5 with a three point IR transmitter.

And you don't need a bright room either...

GPU: RTX 4090 - 3,000 MHz core / 12,000 MHz VRAM. 

CPU: 7950X3d - 5.2 GHz X3d, 5.8 GHz secondary / MB: ASUS Crosshair X670E Gene / RAM: G.Skill 48GB 6400 MHz

SSD: Intel Optane P5800X - 800GB

VR: Pimax Crystal

CONTROLS: VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base / VPC Constellation ALPHA Prime Grip / VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Throttle / TM Pendular Rudders

If you're comfortable doing it yourself, there are lots of tutorials & info available on building your own.

I picked up a PS3 Eye, IR LEDs, resistors & a couple of battery cases for less than $30 (all from Ebay). Spent an afternoon assembling a hat & modding the cam and I have a perfectly working tracking system. I'm using Opentrack for the software.

This is my first head tracking system, so I can't say how it compares to TrackIR, but I'm very happy with the results and it works exactly as I expected.

If you're interested, I'd be happy to share all of the links & info I have.

• 5 months later...

My first setup was a self-built clip using thin plywood and 3 LEDs scavenged from old TV and Sky remote controls. The camera was a Logitec web cam with the internal IR filter removed and a piece of floppy disk over the front.

This worked, but I think the frame rate of the camera wasn't really good enough. It was a good proof of concept.

My current hardware setup is a Delan clip with PS3 camera also bought pre-modified from Delanclip. This is MUCH better than my home-built setup.

Software used in both cases is Opentrack.

Currently i am using a Delanclip Fusion, wireless with a ps3 eye cam bought also pre modified and it works like a charm with opentrack. I also had a trackhat wireless clip but the battery is much better on the delanclip. I also used a 3dof edtracker wireless but it didn't worked that well in my case.

Specs:WIN10, I7-4790K, ASUS RANGER VII, 16GB G.Skill DDR3, GEFORCE 1080, NVME SSD, SSD, VIRPIL T-50 THROTTLE, K-51 COLLECTIVE, MS FFB2 (CH COMBATSTICK MOD), MFG CROSSWINDS, JETPAD, RIFT S

Modules:A10C, AH-64D, AJS-37, AV8B, BF109K4, CA, F/A18C, F14, F5EII, F86F, FC3, FW190A8, FW190D9, KA50, L39, M2000C, MI8TV2, MI24P, MIG15BIS, MIG19P, MIG21BIS, MIRAGE F1, P51D, SA342, SPITFIRE, UH1H, NORMANDY, PERSIAN GULF, CHANNEL, SYRIA

Thrustmaster TWCS Afterburner Detent
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=223776

My Frankenwinder ffb2 stick