Any chance for an update regarding the progress of the F18?

nickos86

That's not what he asked. I think he knows when the next update is planned to be released. What he is asking for is a mini-update.

All we know is that they focus heavily on bug fixing at the moment. I don't think we should expect any major feature/addition in the next update.

Considering the amount of problems as of late I'd be surprised if they had the time to work on anything at all other than fixing bugs for the forseeable future. Sad to say a lot of people I fly with have given up on DCS and are looking elsewhere. I'm not a fanboy but I sure wish they got their s@#t together and made this enjoyable once again. Nothing beats a functional Hornet on a Supercarrier with your buddies.

That's not what he asked. I think he knows when the next update is planned to be released. What he is asking for is a mini-update.

All we know is that they focus heavily on bug fixing at the moment. I don't think we should expect any major feature/addition in the next update.

Well if he knows, and knows that they have scaled back the updates; then why ask at all? The key word here is "update", no matter how you mask it. Kind of disingenuous there guy!

DO it or Don't, but don't cry about it. Real men don't cry!

its exponential…

if it kills 2500 bugs… it will generates 25000 new bugs !

LOL

(used to be a joke… but nowdays…you know...)

Sing with me:

2,500 bugs on the tracker list, 2,500 bugs...

Take one down, pass it around...

2,700 bugs on the tracker list...

Windows 10 64-bit | Ryzen 9 3900X 4.00GHz (OC) | Asus Strix B450-F | 64GB Corsair Vengeance @ 3000MHz | two Asus GeForce 1070 Founders Edition (second card used for CUDA only) | two Silicon Power 1TB NVMe in RAID-0 | Samsung 32" 1440p Monitor | two ASUS 23" 1080p monitors | ASUS Mixed Reality VR | Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS | MFG Crosswind

A-10C Warthog | AV-8B Harrier (N/A) | F/A-18C Hornet | F-16C Viper | F-14B Tomcat | UH-1H Huey | P-51D Mustang | F-86F Saber | Persian Gulf | NTTR

Well if he knows, and knows that they have scaled back the updates; then why ask at all?

They decided to move to a monthly update to produce a more stable, controlled build. They didn't say if and how it will affect the development of the Hornet itself. Asking for a status update regarding their goals is fine.

Let them work!

Let me get this straight, are you suggesting ED's staff of coders stops everything to read posts here? How is the OP interrupting anything? ED has ways to communicate these sorts of things to the community if they choose to. It's usually done via a mini update or a post by a community manager or a senior staff member.

Why are you making such a big deal of one guy politely asking for an update?

Its reasonable to ask for the update. We sometimes need to read exciting (hopefully correct word) thing on the forum other than problems posted by users. A month is quite long time to wait especially in this pandemic.

Just my 2 cents

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

I was curious if the new update strategy would push back the stated 2020 release goals

Simple. More delays. I'd expect the "schedule" to slip even further.

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Its reasonable to ask for the update. We sometimes need to read exciting (hopefully correct word) thing on the forum other than problems posted by users. A month is quite long time to wait especially in this pandemic.

Just my 2 cents

LOl a month is not a long time at all. Unless one is just an impatient individual with nothing else to do.

I get it, it's a high you need for your life. We shouldn't act like petulant children with these "updates for updates".

It's the equivalent of "Are we there yet, are we there yet" that you get from children. Come on bro!

Now if you are in fact a child, then that's understandable! Men don't whine!

LOl a month is not a long time at all. Unless one is just an impatient individual with nothing else to do.

I get it, it's a high you need for your life. We shouldn't act like petulant children with these "updates for updates".

It's the equivalent of "Are we there yet, are we there yet" that you get from children. Come on bro!

Now if you are in fact a child, then that's understandable! Men don't whine!

Lol. I'm not impatient at all. I've been waiting for Hornet and Viper since the age of Lomac. A month is nothing for me.

Mastering others is strength. Mastering yourself is true power. - Lao Tze

its exponential…

if it kills 2500 bugs… it will generates 25000 new bugs !

LOL

(used to be a joke… but nowdays…you know...)

yes I wanna all those bug on hornets need to go away(I know there will be new bugs coming our way)

Lol. I'm not impatient at all. I've been waiting for Hornet and Viper since the age of Lomac. A month is nothing for me.

Yes, yes! I came over from Xplane and MSFS since 2002. I've been waiting for everything we now have in DCS. Waiting is nothing!

• 3 weeks later...

Bumping. Enough time passed since last the 18 update. WAGS ( OR NineLine/BIGNEWY) - please share an update regarding the current development status. We are eager for some info.

All who are not ED personal - this post is not for you. Keep the comments to yourself.

Thanks.

Bumping. Enough time passed since last the 18 update. WAGS ( OR NineLine/BIGNEWY) - please share an update regarding the current development status. We are eager for some info.

All who are not ED personal - this post is not for you. Keep the comments to yourself.

Thanks.

Would love an update on Hornet plans, especially given the pivot to fixing bugs and the unexpected attention given to the Viper in the last Friday newsletter. Timeline or schedule isn't necessary, just a "hey, these are the Hornet updates/features in the oven right now." :-)

If I recall correctly, the next items ostensibly under development were GPS coordinates display for the TGP screen and additional submodes for the AG radar. Is it reasonable to expect those next?

Thanks.

Umm, this is a public forum dude. Send them a PM or something if you want to take that stance!

But good luck with that...Lol

2 things:

1.) Saying this is asking for an update on an update is inaccurate. It's asking for the status of an update, since a different one has been planned instead. If he asked for the update to the July 15th update, then you'd be right. He asked for the weekly feature release status which comes with mini-updates, since the new bug strategy is taking its place and we are not sure when to expect that sort of thing again. If you want to be reductionist about everything, then saying anything on this forum is talking about talking and therefore also pointless.

2.) Waiting is something. None of us paid them $80 in 2002. If they didn't deliver until 2035 on 75% of the Hornet feature list, is it still nothing? Of course not.

There's this weird dichotomy in the DCS community that delivering features on time and low in bugs is anathema to software. This just isn't the case for many development houses out there. On time and good aren't mutually exclusive and if I made my clients pick between the two as routinely as this community seems to think is normal, they'd have my head on a pike. I get it the enterprise world is a lot different than this, but it's not some universal maxim all of us software developers have illuminati meetings over.

100% on deadline with 100% completion is obviously a ridiculous expectation, but so is 300% over deadline and 50% under-delivered.

I'm not saying ED is doing any of this mind you, just pointing out for the sake of conversation how weird this community can be sometimes. People wear their "I'd rather wait!" badges rather proudly. Wouldn't you rather NOT wait AND have it be accurate? Why is that never an option in DCS debate land?

I still think they either promise too early or too much or some measure of both. They definitely have a tough time setting realistic deadlines for their feature groupings. People were saying no way to 2020 since it was announced. Waiting for November to say "Q2 2021" is not smart. Rip the band-aid off and say it now or we're going to have another upheaval with Kate making reddit posts and what not and that just dirties up the forums from their otherwise helpful content.

My .02 and of course I'm not looking for agreement, just trying to put another consumer perspective out there I don't see voiced all that often. Can we allow that not wanting to wait forever doesn't:

1. Make you generally impatient

2. Make you hate ED

3. Make you hate ED's products or even dislike them

Can we agree a little consumer pressure is good? I mean they sign off on every community feedback movement that they appreciate and like the feedback. I realize they might just be saying that, but I think I'll take their word for it.

EDIT: Of course with the caveat that said feedback is CIVIL. Just being a jerk obviously doesn't help anyone. These are people, after all, not sprockets that churn out flight sim widgets.

2ND EDIT: Took out an unintentional swipe at ED.

Edited by LastRifleRound