Newbie Multiplayer help

Worther_1

Hi folks,

I'm fairly new DCS, I have A10C, flaming cliffs and Black Shark 2 (not tried yet). I've seen many comments that multi player can be a good way to learn off experienced players. I tried to log in multi player but it said my user name/email was already registered. I tried to get password reminder in case it was the log in details for this site, but it said email not recognised.

I'm confused, how do I log in/create an account for multi player action? :doh:

Any advice will be great.

Worther_1

Worther_1

DCS Black Shark 2, A10-C, Huey, MiG-21bis, Hawk, Flaming Cliffs 3, F/A-18, Nevada Terrain.

OP:

Once you get your registration sorted out (that shouldn't take any time at all) the world of multiplayer can be a little daunting.

I posted this a bit ago for someone else who was making their way into the MP environment and figured it may be helpful again:

Typical experience you might expect from the firehouse server as an example.

Log into SimHQs TS3 (free reg required) and head down to the SimHQ Firehouse room- choosing red or blue. There may be guys in there... there may not be.

Get any track IR / view equipment started up. Log into MP server lobby and go to "Eno's Firehouse." Once you're in there, you're put in the "spectators" section where you will see an array of available aircraft to choose from. Remember- there are some very similar aircraft available now including the A10A and C, SU25 and SU25T... etc. Make sure you choose an aircraft slot that suits the modules you own. You won't be able to read the "red" or "blue" briefing until you choose your slot- but you will be able to see the "Situation."

READ THE BRIEFING! Most of them can appear long now that we have so many different mission capable aircraft onboard. I can't speak for others but I split the briefing up on a "per aircraft type" basis to keep things reasonable. Good to read the "Situation" so you can begin to get an understanding as to the "feel" of the mission. Read your particular aircraft type... and if you're interested in what the others are doing- read theirs. It makes a bit more sense of things later on. You can always refer to it throughout the mission while flying... but sometimes it helps to figure out what you want to bring with you if the default loadout is either empty or not suitable to your skills / expertise / task.

If there is anyone in there, undoubtedly you'll have started to have a conversation about where the mission is at and what the folks are working on. It helps to mention that you're new to MP... it allows the guys to anticipate questions and gives them an idea what your abilities are for tasks later on.

It helps to have a normal Warthog HOTAS but it is by no means a requirement. Because of the wide variety of control interfaces available, it IS helpful to know your equivalent inputs. For example: You ask "How do I set SPI on the TGP?" I would answer "It'll be the equivalent of TMS up long." Some guys have the key lists in front of them but it's much, much easier just to give you the actual control interface.

We have cold and warm starts available so if you're not feeling up to a cold start, often we have warm pits to get into (if they're not already occupied). Go through your startup- whatever it is- and check your loadout. Doesn't hurt to ask the guys if there is any particular weapon type you should be bringing with you to help them out...

Some servers are more regimented with their radio procedure with ATC and some guys enhance their sense of emersion by being quite formal with their TS3 speak. We're "Semi-formal," in that courtesy notification of approach or runway occupation. "I'm taking the active 08 at Kutaisi" or "Inbound long / short (no prescribed distance necessarily) 08 Kutaisi." These are examples only- as much as to say that we talk a little more conversationally. Some guys go in there and are REALLY formal about it- but they don't hold anyone to a standard. That's how THEY do it- and generally they are expected to acknowledge that not everyone on an open server is going to hold themselves to the same standard.

ATC radio inputs are a bit clunky but where they help out is in defining what the active runway is. SOME servers are VERY strict about taking the active- but if the active is on the other side of the map and you're in there by yourself or with 2 or 3 other guys on TS3 and nobody declares that they're inbound or in the area... I won't tell if you don't! Taxiway takeoffs, however, are VERBOTTEN and a VERY bad habit to get into.

Once you're in the air, again... in our particular instance we're not formal but we do communicate well as a group. Generally we've found that visitors merge well with the regulars and get into the groove quickly just because the comms are more conversational. Tell people what you're doing so they can look at their TAD and make a mental note of where you are and figure out if what you're doing is going to affect them. If they have a question or a conflict... they'll tell you... and all is hunkie dorie.

When you're running low on gas then you just say so... if you're out of ammo then tell the guys... Quite often guys still like the formation flying aspect and will join up with you if they're close to being out of ammo or already on their way back. We don't fly really close (yes, it can still glitch a bit) but some attention to detail is observed. If you're wondering how to line up properly- just ask... typically whatever your distance you line up the outside edge of your pertinent side rearview mirror with his wingtip and the ejection seat triangle... whatever your distance if you adhere to that you're in the proper orientation.

Landing- again... it helps to "sign in" with the radio ATC because if there are other people (not on TS3) at the airbase you're approaching they won't be cleared to access the runway... It also helps to just communicate it out loud to those on TS3 as they may be operating on another channel.

If you think you're going to cream in- try to stick one side of the runway so it doesn't block others from taking off or landing. Typically your wreckage disappears if it's so bad that your plane explodes and you get in another plane... but if you need to repair your aircraft (takes 170 seconds plus actual repair time)- sticking to the side helps the others around you (if possible).

It's not hard for ANYONE to understand if you've attempted an approach on manual reversion on one engine and missing half (or all ) of your rudder surfaces that you end up on a collapsed gear in the middle of the runway... We'll get it ;)

Anyway- that's a bit of a description of what you might expect. Sorry if it's a little longer than I expected!

"ENO"

Type in anger and you will make the greatest post you will ever regret.

"Sweetest's" Military Aviation Art

Thanks for info above...sounds a little full on for me right now.

When I'm ready would you say headset with microphone is essential?

What program should I use?

Any recommendations for either (headset would need to allow TrackIR side mount track clip pro)?

Thanks again

Worther_1

DCS Black Shark 2, A10-C, Huey, MiG-21bis, Hawk, Flaming Cliffs 3, F/A-18, Nevada Terrain.

There are some pretty casual groups of enthusiasts out there who are quite helpful to anyone willing to put in as much work to help themselves as they expect from other people.

The firehouse / hollo pointe servers definitely fit that description- but there are many others I'm sure you've read about.

"ENO"

Quick update...I've created an account and logged on in Multiplayer , found Enos Firehouse and joined just to watch as a spectator....need to find a headset next....

Thanks for help guys

Worther_1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I'm afraid I have another query for MP....I now have an account and can log into Multiplayer ok. I have a 'cheap' headset and have downloaded TeamSpeak 3.0 (as this was recommended to me above). When I first run TeamSpeak the program requests a 'Nickname'....for clarity should this be:

a). My Steam account name

b). My pilot 'call sign' in DCS (from log book)

c). My ED account name (Worther_1)

d). Can be anything?

I know this is probably I stupid question but I'm complete newbie to Multiplayer in general and there doesn't seem to be much info anywhere.

I have noted that servers generally prefer that I select a 'push to talk' button to prevent misc banter.

I just want to 'have a go' at flying with other people and see if I like it, hence 'cheap' headset to start with. I'm not a complete newbie to flying though, can operate most systems and all weapons in A10C (apart from refuelling).

As always, I'd appreciate just a nudge or two in the right direction so I don't make a fool of myself, or inadvertently upset/offend experienced users.

Thanks,

Worther_1

Worther_1

Your nickname can be anything- technically. It's good to make the name familiar (ie: your forum nickname) so that people can associate the name with your online presence within the community.

And yes- PTT is a requirement in most servers using ts3

"ENO"

Hi Guys,

I'm afraid I have another query for MP....I now have an account and can log into Multiplayer ok. I have a 'cheap' headset and have downloaded TeamSpeak 3.0 (as this was recommended to me above). When I first run TeamSpeak the program requests a 'Nickname'....for clarity should this be:

a). My Steam account name

b). My pilot 'call sign' in DCS (from log book)

c). My ED account name (Worther_1)

d). Can be anything?

I know this is probably I stupid question but I'm complete newbie to Multiplayer in general and there doesn't seem to be much info anywhere.

I have noted that servers generally prefer that I select a 'push to talk' button to prevent misc banter.

I just want to 'have a go' at flying with other people and see if I like it, hence 'cheap' headset to start with. I'm not a complete newbie to flying though, can operate most systems and all weapons in A10C (apart from refuelling).

As always, I'd appreciate just a nudge or two in the right direction so I don't make a fool of myself, or inadvertently upset/offend experienced users.

Thanks,

Worther_1

IMO it's best to use the same nick in Teamspeak as you do in DCS World. It always confuses me when someone uses different names and why would they? Feel free to jump on my server any time. Click my nick for details but please don't stare at the opening page.

Just checked out your 'nick' I see what you mean about the opening page!

I'll get everything set up (including time off from missus and kids) and have a go!

Thanks to all,

Worther_1

Worther_1