Is turning off external light useful in combat?

Steinsch

Hi,

I'd like to know if there is some simulated advantage to turning off external lights in a dogfight with the AI. Does the AI get an aiming or detection "bonus" if I'm lit like a Christmas tree?

Thanks.

In real life, MANPADS LOOOOVE lights. We got to play with several different US and foreign MANPADS that were inert except for the seekers. Landing lights, underbody Loghts, you name it...inside of a couple of miles it was easy to get a lock on things other than the engine.

Now that being said, I don't know how the missiles are modeled in the game and I don't know how different the seekers are on AA Missles vs MANPADS but I'd guess there is a possibility it would made a difference..

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

In real life, MANPADS LOOOOVE lights. We got to play with several different US and foreign MANPADS that were inert except for the seekers. Landing lights, underbody Loghts, you name it...inside of a couple of miles it was easy to get a lock on things other than the engine.

Interesting, I had never thought about aircraft lights under the infrared angle! Thanks.

Can anyone confirm if this is modeled in the game?

Steinsch

Flying Virtual F-15s since 1989

YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/c/CommanderSteinsch

Airframe heating and earthshine(especially at low altitude) are more likely to provide the main source of IR radiation, especially in the 8-12um band.

In fact Aluminium gallium Arsenide and Mercury Cadmium Telluride detectors are inherently immune to point sources.

Airframe heating and earthshine(especially at low altitude) are more likely to provide the main source of IR radiation, especially in the 8-12um band.

In fact Aluminium gallium Arsenide and Mercury Cadmium Telluride detectors are inherently immune to point sources.

I guess the Stinger, SA-7, SA-14 and SA-18 we were using never got that memo...they bit off on lights every time.

Now after the plane passed, they bit off on the Air Conditioning Pack exhausts over the engine exhausts...

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Primary Computer

ASUS Z390-P, i7-9700K CPU @ 5.0Ghz, 32GB Patriot Viper Steel DDR4 @ 3200Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce 1070 Ti AMP Extreme, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drives (1Tb & 500 Gb), Windows 10 Professional, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS, Thrustmaster Warthog Stick, Thrustmaster Cougar Throttle, Cougar MFDs x3, Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals and TrackIR 5.

-={TAC}=-DCS Server

Gigabyte GA-Z68XP-UD3, i7-3770K CPU @ 3.90GHz, 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws DDR3 @ 1600Mhz, ZOTAC GeForce® GTX 970.

I guess the Stinger, SA-7, SA-14 and SA-18 we were using never got that memo...they bit off on lights every time.

Now after the plane passed, they bit off on the Air Conditioning Pack exhausts over the engine exhausts...

You know what I think you are probably right, especially landing lights, they would make a pretty good IR source( and probably heat the surrounding airframe too).