AV-8B Harrier Thread

Angelthunder

Harrier is first a CAS aircraft. And the Marines' aircrafts main purpose is CAS too.

So it isn't a surprise that they weren't that much interested in AGM-84.

In anti-surface mission it can use AGM-65F (IR guidance and anti ship variant of the family).

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/european-navies-worry-about-harrier-arms-22768/

It can, but I wouldn't want to get that close to an armed enemy ship in a harrier, sounds like more of a job for the navy....

PC:

6600K @ 4.5 GHz, 12GB RAM, GTX 970, 32" 2K monitor.

• Replies 3.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It can, but I wouldn't want to get that close to an armed enemy ship in a harrier, sounds like more of a job for the navy....

Well its "Anti-ship" mission would be against small lightly armed (Or unarmed) ships.

Landing crafts and Patrol Boats as well as Trade ships and transports etc.

Small ships (that can be seriously hurt or outright sunk by a AGM-65) with only lighter Anti-Air weapons

(smaller autocannons and Manpads etc).

Leaving larger ships for Navy aircraft etc.

Edited by mattebubben

I was commenting on Skjold's statement that the Laser support on the Harrier's FLIR let it guide Mavericks and LGBs. The real question is will we see DITER, and if RAZBAM will allow the aircraft to carry LGBs on conventional TERs.

On the TERs. Which hard points were they cleared for?

I've only ever seen pictures of TERs on the inner wing pylons, and even then, they only used 2 out of the 3 racks.

Would the Harrier be able to carry 6 mavericks, on 2 TERs, as per the A10?

Not sure if the Harrier is able to carry the AGM-65 TER (Lau-88).

Dont think ive seen any Navy or USMC aircraft carry it.

(F/A-18,Harrier etc)

So i think its Air force only.

So i think we will be limited to 4 AGM-65s.

(using the two innermost pylons on each wing).

Well I've been testing aircraft in VR for another simulator's wiki the last few days and Friday I jumped into the RAZBAM Harrier GR7/9 model with my Rift and my first comment was "Wow! This could be in DCS World!"

So I'm sure the genuine article will be something very good.

Kneeboard Guides

Rig: Asus B650-GAMING PLUS; Ryzen 7800X3D ; 64GB DDR5 5600; RTX 4080; VPC T50 CM2 HOTAS; SN-1 Pedals; VR = Pico 4 over VD Wireless + Index; Point Control v2

Any word if we were getting the TGP on the centerline station? I think it was a later upgrade but it would be very nice to have.

I don't know if it's been posted already, but here's something I found after a quick google

Although it gives information about which load outs cause G to be limited, it doesn't give any info on what those limits are!

Interesting about the outer wing pylons. I thought they could only carry sidewinders, but this says Mk82s as well. :thumbup:

av8.jpg.c622c07e97906a9723795c55eb28a0ed.jpg

Mission: "To intercept and destroy aircraft and airborne missiles in all weather conditions in order to establish and maintain air superiority in a designated area. To deliver air-to-ground ordnance on time in any weather condition. And to provide tactical reconaissance imagery" - F-14 Tomcat Roll Call

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

When wondering what a particular military system does or does not do... the Federation of American Scientists Military Analyst Section (fas.org) is a good single-source, open source site to get an education/inform yourself. You can see what they report about the AV-8 variants and what their various capabilities are/have been, who has purchased and operated them around the world etc.

Obviously doing multiple source research using primary sources is always the BEST way to educate yourself on a topic... but if you don't have a lot of time... I think you will find FAS is pretty good. No... I don't work for them :book:... I've just done a lot of research over the years is all...

Semper Fi

AldoUSMC

Intel i7-6700 CPU @ 4 GHz, 32 GB Ram, GeForce GTX 980 Ti, Windows 10 Pro -64 Bit

The loadout chart does mention the Lau10 pods, was the Zuni still in use by the time of 'our' Av8B NA?

I found they were withdrawn from carrier ops in late 80s, but still used from land bases. So I guess the NA would have access to them?

Edited by iLOVEwindmills

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Hell yes!! thanks for the new pics guys. Keep it up RAZBAM :thumbup:

Windows 10 Pro 64, I5 4690k @4.6GHz with CAPTIAN 240EX AOI, Samsung 850 EVO ,G Skill Ripjaws 16G RAM, Nvidia GTX 970 STRIX, MSI Z97 GAMING 5, WD Blue 1TB HDD, Seasonic M12 II EVO psu, Track IR 5, Pro Flight X-55 Rhino H.O.T.A.S

• 2 weeks later...

Just asking, since Razbam already did the GR7/GR9 for FSX, how hard would that be to port it to DCS? I know nothing about game making so take this question with a grain of salt, but since it already exist for FSX, i'm guessing they have all the infos on the systems and could use that for DCS no?

Just asking, since Razbam already did the GR7/GR9 for FSX, how hard would that be to port it to DCS? I know nothing about game making so take this question with a grain of salt, but since it already exist for FSX, i'm guessing they have all the infos on the systems and could use that for DCS no?

AFAIK they are planned...I recall reading that we'd get the AV-8B (NA) first, then one of the Brit birds (or both? IDK), then the AV-8B+ (w/ the APG-65 in the nose)

Lord of Salt

FSX and DCS are 2 completely different animals, while in FSX we could get away with many things (since it´s not a combat sim) we can´t do that in DCS and our main problem with the brit birds are it´s exterior sensor pods which up to this date (while some have been phased out) are still pretty much classified. But we´ll get to them in due time

Which sensor pods are these?

Sniper ATP, TIALD 500, TERMA and DJRP pods.

Truly superior pilots are those that use their superior judgment to avoid those situations where they might have to use their superior skills.

If you ever find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

"If at first you don't succeed, Carrier Landings are not for you!"

AFAIK they are planned...I recall reading that we'd get the AV-8B (NA) first, then one of the Brit birds (or both? IDK), then the AV-8B+ (w/ the APG-65 in the nose)

I think you may be confusing things.

RAZBAM put out a poll asking if we wanted an AV-8B or a GR.5/7/9. The poll came out in favor of the GR Harrier, however due to problems with documentation and systems modeling, it was determined the GR Harriers couldn't be done accurately enough, and so with an apology they stated they'd be instead doing the AV-8B(NA), with provisions of doing the AV-8B+ soon after ED's implementation of ground radar. I've heard absolutely nothing about the GRs being back in the mix.