Fire Brigade: River Defence

baltic_dragon

Guys, the new single mission is out. It is designed for two players flying Harriers + there is one Huey slot (because why not!). Please provide feedback here, I'm more than happy to build different variants of the mission and add stuff to it.

More like this will come, if you have ideas for some realistic scenarios involving the Harrier feel free to PM me.

Enjoy!

• Like 1
ce535d_9d347b62819c4372b3c485a4f95d2004~mv2.png

Hey I am really enjoying the mission, so excited to see it in there! I love having to return to the FARP for gas and ordnance, really makes it feel like more of a process than just go out, drop bombs, come home. Thank you for all your hard work!

Ok so maybe I'm doing something wrong but I am having problems with the sidearm in this mission. After I take out the tank on the bridge, I am supposed to destroy AA so the drone can fly. I am trying to lock up the AAA with the sidearm, but they are turning off their radar until I'm right on top of them or just past. Ok I know that's what AAA tries to do IRL so as not to be detected, I am just wondering if that's what is actually happening in the sim, just knowing it's EA and not everything is working right yet. Am I supposed to have a wingman flying over the AAA so they turn on their radar and I can lock them up? Should I orbit and use the Litening pod to find them like in the A10?

Hey, glad you’re enjoying it. I managed to take it out with a Sidearm, but yeah, AAA uses radar on a very short range. My advice is: even if you have sidearms, just use Mavs if you have trouble. And yeah, acquire them using TPOD or visually when they start shooting.

Thanks, as long as it's working as intended that's cool, I just got one with a sidearm at the last second, and the other with a mav, located by spotting the tracers. That was awesome. I even finally managed a landing at the FARP. Crashed after I took out one of the choppers though, can't stop watching the missile view.

Really great mission, thanks again! Hours of fun so far.

This mission was a nice surprise in the last update, and is really fun. Thanks for making this. Would love to see more of these. Is there a campaign coming down the road as well?

Thanks, glad you liked it. For the time being there will be more single missions coming as I focus on the Harrier training. But once the module is ready I will start working on at leadt one campaign (I like to be able to use all the features that the given plane offers).

I looked in the missions section and did not see it. Can you just post the link here instead of teasing us with it??

~Rob

It has been added with the last OB update - if you’re on stable you probably won’t see it.

Here’s the link, enjoy!

The tank on the bridge seems to be causing problems. The Mavericks are locking onto the bridge, not the tank. Sometimes you will get lucky and lock onto the part of the bridge that has the tank on it, but it seems to be random. Also, not sure if this is because that tank is a static object and has no heat signature, but the TPOD also isn't noticing the tank and is only tracking the area under the bridge.

mQVtYxV

The tank on the bridge seems to be causing problems. The Mavericks are locking onto the bridge, not the tank. Sometimes you will get lucky and lock onto the part of the bridge that has the tank on it, but it seems to be random. Also, not sure if this is because that tank is a static object and has no heat signature, but the TPOD also isn't noticing the tank and is only tracking the area under the bridge.

mQVtYxV

I've only missed the tank a couple times, usually have no problem locking with mav after using DMT to find the tank.

Are you slewing the mav onto the tank from the DMT or TPOD and then force locking? What range? I'm at 5-7 miles when I get a lock.

I've only missed the tank a couple times, usually have no problem locking with mav after using DMT to find the tank.

Are you slewing the mav onto the tank from the DMT or TPOD and then force locking? What range? I'm at 5-7 miles when I get a lock.

I played it a couple more times and haven't had the same issue. I usually will just use the dmt to slew the Mavericks toward that bridge so i can easily get a lock when I uncage the Maverick. I am just increasing the FOV and making sure it's locking that tank area now. Here is a picture of what happened this morning, which is why I made that first post. Could certainly be user error though.

20180618135406_1.thumb.jpg.70d5c1495f69120e29b76caa042f1845.jpg

I played it a couple more times and haven't had the same issue. I usually will just use the dmt to slew the Mavericks toward that bridge so i can easily get a lock when I uncage the Maverick. I am just increasing the FOV and making sure it's locking that tank area now. Here is a picture of what happened this morning, which is why I made that first post. Could certainly be user error though.

Looks good to me. The tank is destroyed and the bridge goes down as intended :thumbup:

Looks good to me. The tank is destroyed and the bridge goes down as intended :thumbup:

Don't be so sure, I've dropped one bridge span and still Redfor tanks have crossed the river and won.

I'm a little surprised there's not more feedback, so here is my 2¢ :

I find the mission ends too quickly if I can't drop the bridge/destroy the tank, so extended the 30 second mission time out (after Redfor wins) so as to be able to continue my attacks on the AAA, APC's, etc.

I've set it to 45 minutes but might remove it entirely, to make it newbie friendly in coop.

Perhaps the mission could be scripted so that - after Redfor takes the village (and the player has lost) the player(s) are instructed to continue their attacks to inflict heavy losses (Pyrrhic victory) on the victors and defend Blufor's retreat. But can quit at any time to replay the mission and change the outcome (ESC or F10 radio menu? )

Other stuff done / played with for coop

I've increased the time between the APC arriving at the village and calling in the Mi-8's.

I've added a couple of spawns at Kobuleti with heavy loadouts and placed a carrier 2 mile off shore to practice VL / STO within the mission.

Edited by Ramsay

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Had a bug in the mission logic, playing coop tonight but it might be due to a DCS limitation when querying User flags and there being no players spawned in game.

Successfully destroyed the tank/bridge (Flag 100 set to ON)

"RU Tank Platoon Lead" Held at waypoint 3 as the bridge was down (USER Flag 100 ON condition met for Hold task)

Later on I crashed on RTB to the FARP and shortly after my wingman was shot down by "Shilka B" while I was in the process of re-spawning.

"RU Tank Platoon Lead" stopped Holding at waypoint 3 and crossed the river, winning the battle for Redfor.

̶I̶'̶d̶ ̶g̶u̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶U̶s̶e̶r̶ ̶F̶l̶a̶g̶ ̶1̶0̶0̶ ̶r̶e̶t̶u̶r̶n̶s̶ ̶a̶ ̶n̶u̶l̶l̶ ̶i̶f̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶r̶e̶ ̶n̶o̶ ̶p̶l̶a̶y̶e̶r̶ ̶s̶l̶o̶t̶s̶ ̶s̶p̶a̶w̶n̶e̶d̶,̶ we carried on playing but it was a shame to lose due to bad luck/timing, still had fun though :)

Bug seems due to the tanks dispersing under fire and after 10 minute respite moving on to the next waypoint, rather than returning to WP3.

The first attack run against the AAA went well but they weren't destroyed.

However the Shilka don't have "disperse under fire=off" so moved into the middle of trees, etc. making them very hard to hit/trigger and subsequent sidearms mostly hit trees.

i.e. looking closer via F7, Shilka B was almost co-located with a tree (tree was coming out of the top of the turret) - obviously it's dispersion, though random explained why we were having so much trouble finding and killing them.

As they are already behind buildings or in the middle of a small tree clearing - I've added "disperse under fire=off" to the advanced options of "Russian Shilka" to make them easier to find/destroy.

Their destruction is required for the predator drone to be called in but given the mission time limits and AV-8B's initial loadout, I'm not sure they're supposed to be as hard to find/destroy as they are now.

We didn't get a chance to test the Shilkas with dispersion=off

Edited by Ramsay
Add feedback on Shilka dispersion under fire

i9 9900K @4.7GHz, 64GB DDR4, RTX4070 12GB, 1+2TB NVMe, 6+4TB HD, 4+1TB SSD, Winwing Orion 2 F-15EX Throttle + F-16EX Stick, TPR Pedals, TIR5, Win 10 Pro x64, 1920X1080

Hey! Thanks for these, good points.

I think you are right with the flag, I will just trigger another flag whenever FL100 is first ON and add id to HOLD order of the tanks. That should solve it.

As for the Shilkas, dispersion set to off is more realistic, but driving through tree trunks (or walls sometimes) is not. Also a good suggestion.

I've uploaded some SP mission footage to youtube but messed up my microphone, so it's pure gameplay with out commentary - pretty boring but might be ok to skip/fast forward though

Note: it contains spoilers obviously.

I enjoyed this mission a lot together with my best friend.

However, he doesn´t own the Harrier but flies the Mirage, so I just added one to the airfield and gave him waypoints. It worked, but he couldn´t hear the radio messages. Could anyone give me a hint as to what to do make the messages available for him too ? I have no knowledge at all about such stuff...

However, he doesn´t own the Harrier but flies the Mirage, so I just added one to the airfield and gave him waypoints. It worked, but he couldn´t hear the radio messages. Could anyone give me a hint as to what to do make the messages available for him too ?

Blufor messages are broadcast for Country = USA

Your friend should hear the messages provided the Mirage's country is set to USA.