Hog Throttle Modding

AndyPeacock

Hi all,

Having decided that you can never really have enough buttons, I took the plunge today and drilled into my Warthog throttle. :unsure:

The plan is that eventually I will add one of FoxDelta's F18 radar elevations controls between the handles and link all three new buttons, and the buttons of the elevation controller into an arduino running MMJoy2 in a small button box behind the throttle. So far I had installed an additional cage/uncage switch on the right throttle, an new button beside the pinkie switch and replaced the front button (and added an additional) to the left hand throttle. Space is pretty tight on the left side, but a little bit of hacking and it all fitted in.

The new buttons feel quite light to activate and don't have a definite click to them but so far feel pretty good.

IMG_20190824_170012.thumb.jpg.30d715429dfb02cdf4f3982c8020c8c6.jpg

IMG_20190824_170035.thumb.jpg.30190939a69bc1180ae1fb612849238f.jpg

IMG_20190824_101954.thumb.jpg.6a39f9fbed79e14e560aef871ffb40e3.jpg

IMG_20190824_102139.thumb.jpg.ddd14595ab9483149500623fa343b3d5.jpg

IMG_20190824_162913.thumb.jpg.18c91ec74717ae0eb890f110a80b828a.jpg

Edited by AndyPeacock

Very interesting, I have all the components too but not enough balls like you do.

Mmmmmmm...maybe I will try it.

Dream Commodore 64C, 1530 datasette, 1541 floppy disk drive, DCS cartridge, competition pro joystick, 14” Tv with VCR.

Arturo "Chaco" Gonzalez Thomas

Excellent work there buddy. Let us know how it goes with the wiring and mmjoy box.

Space is a bit tight in the handle necks so routing could be tricky, but as long as you're dealing with digital signals only and no analog axes at least noise shouldn't be much of an issue.

If you plan to do the elevation wheel with a pot you may want to look into fitting a small ADC circuit in there to boost resolution and avoid noise. It plays nice with mmjoy as well.

Excellent work there buddy. Let us know how it goes with the wiring and mmjoy box.

Space is a bit tight in the handle necks so routing could be tricky, but as long as you're dealing with digital signals only and no analog axes at least noise shouldn't be much of an issue.

If you plan to do the elevation wheel with a pot you may want to look into fitting a small ADC circuit in there to boost resolution and avoid noise. It plays nice with mmjoy as well.

I suppose it would have been a good idea to work out the wiring first, but I just got carried away. The elevation wheel mod I'm using has two tiny tactile switches so will all be digital so three wires down one handle and four in the other. Fingers crossed they'll fit, otherwise I'll have some nice looking buttons and nothing more! :D

u can use an external cable hose. as the real thing has. might look relly cool and is closer to the original:smilewink:

have a look here

https://forums.eagle.ru/showpost.php?p=3564627&postcount=48

Edited by FoxDelta

• 2 months later...

All the wiring has now been added, along with a little more than originally planned. The left handle has an additional 3 wires for two switches, the right handle has an extra 8 wires routed through the neck and it is an extremely tight fit!

I've decided to add two Alps SLLB120300 center sprung multi control switches. Each with an up/down and depress function, one on each side of the right hand throttle grip. This gives me a radar elevation control on the inside switch, and a view zoom/reset on the outboard.

So far I've added and wired the first switch and it works really nicely. Very smooth and just about the right size. It's currently held in place with hot glue until I can work out how to design a 3D printed enclosure for it (although I've no idea how to even start with 3D modelling).

The next step is to mount the other switch, and build a case to house the pro micro controller and a few switches/rotaries to sit behind the throttle.

IMG_20191118_204417.thumb.jpg.fdf20a569d2955fd06e6d8d1fc931756.jpg

IMG_20191118_204155.thumb.jpg.a6f4d80e6e04013481f1457d7acde384.jpg

I had the ideal to use a Leo bednor board with several switch boxes since it has so many buttons but how to connect them. I decided that Rj-45 connectors wouldn’t be the easiest and most available. That cat 5/6 connectors for those that didn’t know plus it allows 8 wires per plug iirc one common and 7 input connections if wired correctly use standard patch cables as long as you decide on the common connector first and wire it to the common connection on the board I. Was going to use a bus strip for the common connection to the board then wire up the max number of jacks on the board box that way all you have to do is plug the switch boards as the are created. That way some switch boxes can be mount to the left and others on the right. WTH the central board box the cables are the connection to the computer using one usb cnecn. In my opinion it is maximizing the available resources.

BlackeyCole 20years usaf

XP-11. Dcs 2.5OB

Acer predator laptop/ i7 7720, 2.4ghz, 32 gb ddr4 ram, 500gb ssd,1tb hdd,nvidia 1080 8gb vram

New FlightSim Blog at https://blackeysblog.wordpress.com. Go visit it and leave me feedback and or comments so I can make it better. A new post every Friday.