when do we get AP rounds ?

fragal

For the M61A1? Does the Hornet even carry AP rounds? AFAIK you're not supposed to engage armored targets with the cannon and HE rounds are much better for soft targets and aircraft. 20mm AP rounds won't do much against modern armor anyway.

Of course, if the Hornet does carry AP rounds IRL, then I agree that we should get them, even though I probably won't be using them much.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

CVW-17_Profile_Background_VFA-34.png

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-
i9-13900K, 64GB @6400MHz RAM, 4090 Strix OC, Samsung 990 Pro

Last time I tried strafing a Land Rover with the Hornet it did zero damage. Still can take out a Fan Song radar, though.
That's a bug, it's being discussed, some vehicles simply don't receive damage from the Hornet's cannon under some conditions. 20mm HE should rip apart anything without armor plating.

The vCVW-17 is looking for Hornet and Tomcat pilots and RIOs. Join the vCVW-17 Discord.

F/A-18C, F-15E, AV-8B, F-16C, JF-17, A-10C/CII, M-2000C, F-14, AH-64D, BS2, UH-1H, P-51D, Sptifire, FC3
-

The Hornet can carry an AP-like round. That specific round has 5 tungsten pellets in it and is the default combat ammo for some Hornets.

^ This at the minute we only have HE and HE-T and they do nothing productive and it's not just against ground targets even aircraft can tank an awful lot of rounds before you do anything meaningful

Come now, it's not that bad. You can sometimes kill BMP or even Stryker if you get into "bwee bwee, pull up" range.

But +1, would love an AP type ammo. It must exist, even if it wasn't used often. Stuff doesn't need to be SOP to be included in DCS (nukes, etc).

There is a major unbalance in the ground combat currently with all these shells etc.

Like a UH-1H miniguns are more effective than 23mm from Mi-8MTv2 or 20mm from SA342L.

You literally put a armored APC against 12.7mm down with few hits with 7.62x51mm minigun, but takes far more hits from 23mm or 20mm.

You simply can't destroy a armored vehicle with a M134 minigun that UH-1H does have. You can't even penetrate a IIIA level body armor from couple meters. Even less it would ever penetrate a even old BTR-60 (not protected against 12.7mm as it has just 7-9mm armor thickness against small calibers <12.7mm and fragments from grenades or mortars etc) and BTR-80 has 10mm armor (7mm in turret) that is more than capable to stop 7.62x51mm and 12.7mm, but not 14.5mm.

Now when you shoot those lead bullets, you see on the ground a massive multiple meters high black burning smoke effects. While there should be more of a just some dust getting up in the air.

When firing a HE rounds from 20mm to 30mm, there should come a lot more dust with just flashes from the explosion, but no black smoke etc.

And regardless that Hornet has "just a 20mm HE", it does a lot of damage on any APC when you put them to sides (the roof etc are as well armored as the sides)by causing spalling etc.

So currently 7.62x51mm is far more effective than a 20mm or 23mm.

The 7.62 should be seriously limited by the effectiveness. Hopefully in the future the damage model means that you need to hit the windows if not having armor plates down, otherwise you need 12.7mm at closer ranges or higher.

You need to blow the all tires from one side to get it down, as it is not even enough to just puncture the tire but you need to destroy the axels by explosives or something.

It would as well make nicer effect if 20-30mm HE shells would effectively kill/injure infantry inside or the crew if hitting cabin, but empty vehicle would be left intact if not receiving too many impacts to completely penetrate armors and destroy the body.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

@Fri13 sounds nice, but I think this level of detail for ground targets would cripple current CPUs. Adjusting the effectiveness of munitions though, that can and should happen. All of them btw, not just bullets and shells.

-

I can‘t very much compare our Hornets M61 with any other aircrafts gun in DCS with the exception of the A-10s GAU-8....and I think we all agree that one is in a different league for sure.

But I really find the M61 not to be that bad. Admittedly, I‘ve not tried it against an APC or even tanks. But I‘ve killed A LOT of softer targets like SAMs, radars, Silkworms and a few other units with it rather easily.

When I get my aiming right it even takes just a short burst (~50-80 bullets I would say) to kill one of these targets. Dive angles vary between 15 and 25 degrees. I pull the trigger as soon as the IN RNG cue comes up, sometimes a bit later (at shallower dive angles).

Can’t really talk about aerial targets because I am so damn bad at this stuff (being a mud mover from my very first days in DCS). I sometimes even have trouble killing a Hip with the Hornet regardless whether I employ missiles or the gun. But that for sure is because of my very poor air-to-air skills and not the weapons I use...

I can‘t very much compare our Hornets M61 with any other aircrafts gun in DCS with the exception of the A-10s GAU-8....and I think we all agree that one is in a different league for sure.

But I really find the M61 not to be that bad. Admittedly, I‘ve not tried it against an APC or even tanks. But I‘ve killed A LOT of softer targets like SAMs, radars, Silkworms and a few other units with it rather easily.

When I get my aiming right it even takes just a short burst (~50-80 bullets I would say) to kill one of these targets. Dive angles vary between 15 and 25 degrees. I pull the trigger as soon as the IN RNG cue comes up, sometimes a bit later (at shallower dive angles).

That pretty much works for me as well, but I can get down the burst length by getting closer, shooting roughly with the range circle between 2:30 and 3 o'clock. With decent aim, a short tap on the trigger is enough then. Nevertheless I get similar results with a lot more slant range when doing the same in the Tomcat, and it's rather what I'd expect.

Also from what I noticed, A/G gunnery is a lot harder to do precisely in VR due to the low res... something that is less relevant though in the Hornet due to the dispersion.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

[...]

Also from what I noticed, A/G gunnery is a lot harder to do precisely in VR due to the low res... something that is less relevant though in the Hornet due to the dispersion.

I don‘t fly in VR and two weeks ago I changed my monitor (after 8 years) from a 1920x1080 to a 2560x1440 curved screen...it‘s like I have a new simulator and I finally can spot other aircrafts even when they are more than a wingspan away...:lol: But seriously it really helps with the aiming when strafing targets. I also cheat a bit by zooming in on the HUD.