Let's talk the P-51 in combat in DCS - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 08-12-2019, 12:22 PM   #21
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahdoh View Post

While racing the mustang, I have seen and gone for 30 minutes at 67MP and 2700 rpm without failure, but not every time. It would be great if we got more detailed information about what is really happening with the engine when it fails. Maybe the new damage model will help with that.
I will tell you what is happening. Once you hit 67", dice roll occure.
Any way 2700rpm for wep, in p-51 manual says 3000rpm, no more no less 3000rpm is mentioned countles time in WEP part of manual, I think there is reason for this, engine would blow quick.
Which is even more mistery for me, becouse it seems like 3000rpm + 67" kills engine quicker then 2700rpm + 67" and 2700 ismnt allowed for wep use acording to manual

Last edited by grafspee; 08-12-2019 at 12:24 PM.
grafspee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:28 PM   #22
Shahdoh

I have been racing the mustang since 2013 and do agree there is a random factor to it, but that factor is modified by how you manage the engine as well. Do things properly and it will last longer on average. Is this not unlike real life? even the best maintained engines fail when under max loads, at an unknown interval.

And yes, I know what the manual says, I also know what is possible in DCS. 2700 at max MP is faster(at sea level). It is what it is.

Last edited by Shahdoh; 08-12-2019 at 12:53 PM.
Shahdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:50 PM   #23
Aurelius

I know nothing about long simmering fuel debates, ... only mentioned it out of fairness. Forget I said anything.

On another note, I purchased the Dora back in Feb or so but did not have a chance to use it or set it up. I did so tonight, ... and, oh baby, .... all the positive stereotypes of German engineering immediately came to mind. Had a bit of trouble at first with the back wheel and getting her off the ground, but once I did, .....I immediately began to see P51s online going down in flames. I put on MW50 boost and the engine never got hot and it never died in the roughly 20 min I ran it at 3250 rpms. .... LOL. ............ I purposely tried to make the engine blow, ... and it wouldn't.

(Hope I can put this here without ED removing it .... back in 2008 I flew the Dora from IL2 1946 online in full real servers and loved it. I preferred it slightly over the A9, which was my second favorite weapon. Then, sometime around 2011 or so, Team Wanker took over 1946 development and they basically hobbled most of the energy fighters of the sim while improving the Spit 25lbs, La-7 and I85-71 (of which only 2 were ever made). The IL2 1946 Team Wanker Dora would overheat in less than four minutes on the deck with MW50 on if it had come from a very cool state. It would overhead in 30 seconds under normal conditions! The Dora went from 585 kph in level flight top speed to 540 kph.Completely ruined the sim in my experience and the fine balance between BnZ and TnB planes that Oleg had originally built into the sim. Now that I have a real Dora back, and Team Diadalos is nowhere nearby to $#@! it up, ....it is going to be a blast. And what do you know, the Germans used a simple pump to pull gas from all tanks without any stupid lever switching in mid-combat.)

i9-7960X - ROG Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB 3600 MHz - EVGA FTW3 2080 Ti - VKB GF MCG Pro - Warthog /CH Pro Throttle - Slaw Viper RX V2 - Rift S/Odyssey Plus, testing Reverb

Flying online as "Aurelius" in IL2 1946, IL BOS, ROF and DCSW

If you have a chance, give Calculus or Differential Equations a try!

Last edited by Aurelius; 08-12-2019 at 01:11 PM.
Aurelius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 12:59 PM   #24
Aurelius

I gotta say, the whole manual gas tank lever switching thing is absolute lunacy. I couldn't imagine being in the heat of combat over Germany with a bandit and then right in the middle of a dogfight, a fuel tank runs dry. #%$?!!!! Please slow your offensive and aggressive BFM for a moment dear German Sir while I reach down to fiddle with this f$#%#@! tank lever, so that I might re-engage with you.

On another note, if you are carrying drop tanks of fuel, how do you know when they have emptied and it is time to drop them and switch the lever to an internal fuel tank? You wait for the engine to sputter?

i9-7960X - ROG Rampage VI Extreme - 64 GB 3600 MHz - EVGA FTW3 2080 Ti - VKB GF MCG Pro - Warthog /CH Pro Throttle - Slaw Viper RX V2 - Rift S/Odyssey Plus, testing Reverb

Last edited by Aurelius; 08-12-2019 at 01:04 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:04 PM   #25
Shahdoh

Real life pilots are a lot more aware of fuel burn rates and also came up with timing reminders on when to switch the fuel selector to keep the aircraft balanced. Drop tanks were used to get to the engagement area, thus fueled up accordingly instead of being full always, and then dropped when the engagement started. leaving plenty of fuel in the wings for the engagement with no worries of running out mid combat.
Shahdoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2019, 02:01 PM   #26
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shahdoh View Post
Real life pilots are a lot more aware of fuel burn rates and also came up with timing reminders on when to switch the fuel selector to keep the aircraft balanced. Drop tanks were used to get to the engagement area, thus fueled up accordingly instead of being full always, and then dropped when the engagement started. leaving plenty of fuel in the wings for the engagement with no worries of running out mid combat.
I think in p-51 pilots burn fuselage tank first then drop tanks
Old 08-12-2019, 02:33 PM   #27
grafspee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurelius View Post
I gotta say, the whole manual gas tank lever switching thing is absolute lunacy. I couldn't imagine being in the heat of combat over Germany with a bandit and then right in the middle of a dogfight, a fuel tank runs dry. #%$?!!!! Please slow your offensive and aggressive BFM for a moment dear German Sir while I reach down to fiddle with this f$#%#@! tank lever, so that I might re-engage with you.

On another note, if you are carrying drop tanks of fuel, how do you know when they have emptied and it is time to drop them and switch the lever to an internal fuel tank? You wait for the engine to sputter?
It's all about training, after some hours flying p-51 you will start doing those things subconsciously.
Main strenth of p-51 beside its range and numbers was exeptional preformance above 30k ft were most of germans planes suck hard.

Last edited by grafspee; 08-12-2019 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-12-2019, 08:31 PM   #28
Aurelius

Actually, I made a mistake above. My favorite plane to fly in IL2 1946 used to be the TA 152 until Team Wanker took over from Oleg and hobbled that plane too. The TA 152 was a monster and a blast for guys who liked BnZ.

Old 08-12-2019, 09:29 PM   #29
grafspee

Ta-152 is quite a plane.
But it will be almost impossible to finad any empirical data about this plane
Old 08-12-2019, 10:43 PM   #30
Andy1966

Hi All, heat management in the P-51 is tricky...Always have the rad flaps open on the ground.(Oil and coolant),before turning the battery on I put them in manual, so they wont close when you turn the battery on. Taxi, run-up and takeoff with them fully open. After takeoff, and gear up, I trim for a 1G climb, put coolant flaps on auto and leave oil open, and open ram air at 1000-1500 feet. and set 2600 and 48in. and climb to cruise alt. I have found that if you let it close them at first, you are behind the heat curve from the git go. As Shadow said, proper trim is a must also. after cruising speed is achieved, (250+)close the oil cooler flaps slowly till the temp is 80-90. I use the bottom two rockers on my throttle for them.

The carb air temp gauge is very important.(and it DOES work!)it is right below the coolant gauge. it shows the temp of the after cooler part of the main radiator. watch it at low altitude, if it gets anywhere the redline, your engine is in danger of detonation, and will blow up. control it with a combination of coolant flaps, airspeed, altitude, and boost(less) and RPM(more). this all goes with wep also, I run 2700 and 67 a lot, it just means you must keep an even closer eye on the carb and oil temp, as it will spike quickly when the system is oversaturated with heat.

as far as fuel management goes switch tanks every 15 min or so, at cruise and remember that at combat power you are burning about a gallon a min. your mileage may vary...

@shadow is there still a racing league? I may be interested....
We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.
http://virtual-pilots.com/

Last edited by Andy1966; 08-12-2019 at 11:02 PM.
Andy1966 is offline   Reply With Quote