Which Tornado do you want? - Page 3 - ED Forums

Notices

Old 07-08-2019, 02:28 PM   #21
JagHond

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
Probably not. If we ever get a Tornado (I'm sure it will happen sooner or later) we will probably get the old Cold War version with monochrome displays and a map projector, which would still be a blast!

Agree. Even an Italian version also (my wish), given that we only can dream about an ECR version too, I guess.

With best regards.
JagHond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:45 AM   #22
Bananabrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvroLanc View Post
The TARDIS Tornado Advanced Radar/Map Display Information System, huge display didn’t get installed until a bit later. The early service Gr.4s (Iraq war timeframe), still had the old CRPMG in the back with a digital MFD map for pilot upfront.

Storm shadow and Paveway III were early cool weapons. I’d still rather have a mature Gr.1 for some classic Tornado roles. And a Germany / Central Europe map of course.
Mature GR.1 is the way to go!

Plus, the GR.1 is closer to the other IDS's. The development drifted apart with introduction of the GR.4.

Complete overkill, but who cares, it should even carry two more on the other stubs

Build: Ryzen 3800X on X570, GTX 980 Ti, 32GB DDR4-3200 | Virpil T-50 Stick & Throttle, MFG Crosswind, TrackIR 5
Bananabrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:58 AM   #23
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bananabrai View Post
Plus, the GR.1 is closer to the other IDS's. The development drifted apart with introduction of the GR.4.
That's a good point. The original Cold War version of the Tornado IDS (designated GR.1 in the UK) is almost identical throughout the 4 original users (RAF, GAF, GN, IAF), while they drifted apart later as every user nation did its own upgrades on the jet.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2019, 06:21 PM   #24
Capt_Oatcake

GR.1
Old 07-10-2019, 04:54 AM   #25
macrossMX

Same with the GR.1. We have too many western fighters and few of them are as dedicated of a groundpounder than the Tornado GR.1.
macrossMX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2019, 08:45 PM   #26
jaguara5

Both if it can be done. Otherwise it should be the GR.1/IDS
jaguara5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:30 AM   #27
Hawkeye_UK

Is there even anything to discuss here - definitely not the ADV F2 standard - they came with blue circle radar (concrete ballast - not joking for the first few years). The stage 1 radar was appalling and struggled to track anything that turned.

It was only marginal post stage 2+ radar, so even in the Gulf war 91 it didn't even have NCTR so couldn't even operate at the front. Even in the late 90's it had TWS but in order to engage it had to lock STT target and provide terminal guidance to skyflash - thus losing the TWS picture, stored on screen but effectively outdated and a guessing game for the crew. Only in the very late F3 with Stage 3 was it up to a standard. Best British radar at the time was in the Sea Harrier - Blue Vixon - however i doubt this would be modelled or source data available due to it going on to form the CAPTOR (Eurofighter).

Please lets not have the ADV, the tomcats AWG9 would chew it up - however the IDS.....GR4 would be a dream, and a blast especially given Heatblur's amazing multicrew experience like the 14!

I would also like to see the F-111 if the Tornado cannot be done!
Hawkeye_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 02:33 AM   #28
Hawkeye_UK

IF GR1 then definitely JP233....however thankfully i don't think ED would map the reduced impact on desert runways / PG map.
Hawkeye_UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:46 AM   #29
flyingscotsman

Gr1, ground attack was its best role, as Hawkeye uk states earlier the Adv version was a failure, or we would still have it as MOD prefers to save the money if it can.
flyingscotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:00 PM   #30
Leviathan667

GR. 1A with the ability to carry ALARM anti-radiation missiles & the B version with the capability to carry the Sea Eagle anti-ship missile