Panavia Tornado variants? - Page 5 - ED Forums

Notices

View Poll Results: Which Tornado do you want?
Tornado IDS - interdictor/strike 215 93.07%
Tornado ADV - interceptor/fighter 16 6.93%
Voters: 231. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-12-2019, 07:30 AM   #41
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvroLanc View Post
Never installed/cleared/used in service.
Really? I really thought they were. Interesting.

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

QuiGon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2019, 09:01 AM   #42
Capt_Oatcake

Nope, disabled fairly early on.
Old 10-02-2019, 09:13 AM   #43
QuiGon
Veteran

I see, thanks for clarifying!

Old 10-03-2019, 09:14 PM   #44
Alicatt

Some lovely colour schemes on the German Tornados

NATO tiger meet 2009
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KBNTM09_11.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	656.7 KB
ID:	218361  
Old 10-03-2019, 09:26 PM   #45
Birko

Our (small) local air museum has the cockpit of an F3 and the tail from some variant of the tornado, that fin is huge!

IDS all the way. Nothing like doing 500kts at 40' over the desert. IIRC in Tornado Down it's mentioned that there were a few controlled flights into terrain, the trust the navigator had to have had in the pilot.
Birko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 07:43 AM   #46
QuiGon
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birko View Post
Our (small) local air museum has the cockpit of an F3 and the tail from some variant of the tornado, that fin is huge!

IDS all the way. Nothing like doing 500kts at 40' over the desert. IIRC in Tornado Down it's mentioned that there were a few controlled flights into terrain, the trust the navigator had to have had in the pilot.
That was actually a very common, yet tragic occurance in the 80s, where they trained NOE flying extensively day and night. It's pretty much the most dangerous type of flying you could do, even in a Tornado that was dedicated to this kind of flying. Some brave men they were!

Last edited by QuiGon; 08-23-2020 at 11:35 AM.
Old 10-04-2019, 03:12 PM   #47
Alicatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
That was actually a very common, yet tragic, occurance in the 80s, where they trained NOE flying extensively day and night. It's pretty much the most dangerous type of flying you could do, even in a Tornado that was dedicated to this kind of flying. Some brave men they were!
Yeah when you are driving along the glens in Scotland and a Tornado flashes past you and you have to look down to see it. But then again they have to look down on the Buccaneer they just passed, it's about the only thing that flew lower than a Tornado.

Or they are having to climb to get over car and then rock their wings as they pass you. It had it's moments living in a low flying zone.
Old 10-05-2019, 08:02 PM   #48
Richard Dastardly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alicatt View Post
Yeah when you are driving along the glens in Scotland and a Tornado flashes past you and you have to look down to see it. But then again they have to look down on the Buccaneer they just passed, it's about the only thing that flew lower than a Tornado.

Or they are having to climb to get over car and then rock their wings as they pass you. It had it's moments living in a low flying zone.
Tornado passing a Bucc down low? laff

Have been buzzed at low level by just about every western cold war strike aircraft ( and a few more ) given the low fly area I grew up in, you'd expect 8+ Tornado flights a day plus innumerable Hawks. Got their money's worth out of airframes back then for sure.

I'm torn between wanting a strike Tornado or a Bucc ( first... ideally both but priorities ). The Bucc would be a very nice cold war carrier strike aircraft...
Old 10-05-2019, 08:50 PM   #49
Drotik

About that automatic wing sweep...

At least in the IDS version the connection from the wing sweep lever in the cockpit to the hydraulic control unit (HLWSCU) is purely mechanical. Just pushrods. Fitting some kind of automation device (with the required connections to the air data system) would be quite a challenge. The system was designed in the 60ies and it is as fascinating as it is outdated.

Last edited by Drotik; 10-05-2019 at 08:53 PM.
Drotik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2020, 03:34 AM   #50
MKev

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuiGon View Post
You forgot the Tornado ECR on your list!

My wish would be the Tornado IDS ASSTA 3.1 that is currently in use with the German air Force (although that one is probably way to modern to be a realistic option for DCS)

I searched for some documentation on the IDS Variants. These MFDs/Screens seen in those Pictures came with ASSTA 2 already. Regarding classification I see chances for ASSTA 2 in DCS.

In regards of the british variants I go with GR.4. Based on Infos from the Web the GR.1 variant had no FLIR, LASER, GPSWR and no night time operation capabilities. So it is GR.4 for me. And GR.4 is a 1998 Modernisation. So it should be possible to get it into DCS. Since the Tornado is retired in the UK the chance to get former classified documentation and information should be higher.

I am not sure how accurate those informations on the web are. Maybe some experts and some active or former tornado pilots can shed some light on those variants and its differences.

Lt. Mark "MKev" P. - Callsign: Rhino
Military Flight History: Falcon 4.0, Falcon BMS, IL-2 & DCS
Streaming with passion: MilSim, Survival and more...
MKev_Gaming - "Gaming is my religion"
MKev is offline   Reply With Quote