Best way to control the engagement range of SAM firing AI ships?

Ghostrider142

Hi guys, so I currently have several ships set to go 'AI Off' with a switched condition of aircraft groups X,Y and Z not in a trigger zone around the ship called 'ship radar zone, which is how the mission starts, no planes in that zone.

I have then another switched condition of those ships to go 'AI On' on when aircraft groups X, Y and Z enter that trigger zone.

The ships completely ignore the commands and fire from long range. I have a number of theories of what I might try next, but I'm not sure what is best.

I don't want them firing at long range, I want them to go hot once the aircraft are a lot closer, and then stop firing once they leave that zone again, then when the next wave of aircraft come in close to go hot again.

I've reviewed my current triggers and I'm not really sure why it's not working, is AI Off/On unreliable? I was advised to use Group Stop/Resume in my last thread for a different situation, but these ships are stationary in a harbor and thought AI Off/On would be better.

I have a lot going on in this mission and it's the last piece of the puzzle to get working right.

bdgdkwR.png

Edited by Ghostrider142

i7-4770K @3.50GHz; EVGA 1070 8GB Superclocked; 16GB Ram; MSI Z97 Gaming; two Samsung 500GB SSD's in RAID; TrackIR; 32" 2560x1440 Samsung

Ah, I gotcha, was just using weapons free/hold using flags but they were ignoring it too, I will do the triggered action tab. I need to get more comfortable with that and task push:thumbup:

i7-4770K @3.50GHz; EVGA 1070 8GB Superclocked; 16GB Ram; MSI Z97 Gaming; two Samsung 500GB SSD's in RAID; TrackIR; 32" 2560x1440 Samsung

Hey ghost, try using the triggered action tab to create two actions: Set option -> ROE -> WEAPONS HOLD, and Set option -> ROE -> WEAPONS FREE

Then use a switched condition and AI TASK PUSH to set the ROE when the desired conditions are met.

+1

And if still trying with AI Off

For the first time AI Off in your Mission you would need to use the Mission start trigger. Otherwise it will not work.

"Blyat Naaaaa" - Izlom

Thanks for the tip, the triggered actions with AI task push is working perfectly btw, such a relief.

Now if I can just get the AI to use bombs during an anti-ship tasking. I've tried 5 planes, I've tried attack unit, attack group, no reaction to threat, I've even tried cannons, rockets, Mk-82's, they only want to use anti-ship missiles. That's for another thread though haha.

I love ME but sometimes it drives you crazy.

Maybe it has something to do with the Task allotted to the aircraft attacking? Might need to be set to Ground Attack or maybe CAS in order to force the use of bombs?

I am learning the ME as well and it is an arcane science...deep and wide...

Windows 10 Pro | i5-8600K | MSI Tomahawk Z370 | 48GB DDR4-3000 A-DATA (LED) | EVGA Superclocked 2 GTX 1080 8GB DDR5 | 256GB M.2 NVe A-DATA | 512GB M.2 NVe A-DATA | HP Omen 32" 2560x1440 | Thrustmaster Warthog, CH Pedals Oculus Rift S VR

I'm going to start a new thread about this specifically (didn't see any existing ones) so more people can see because this has surprisingly become a head scratcher.

Ah I didn't know that, I did set them to average because they were just killing everything in sight. I haven't had much luck getting the triggered action ROE switch to work in this big mission as well as it does in the test mission.

I was noticing the reduced launch range but apparently that is because of the 'average' skill of the ships and nothing to do with the triggers.

I've just gone to making the planes invisible until I want the ships to be able to fire.

• 1 year later...

There is something it looks like we all overlooked previously in this discussion: a SWITCHED CONDITION type trigger only activates when the condition changes.

Since the mission starts with all of the coalition out of the zone, the condition doesn't "switch" until the coalition enters then re-exits.

START with the AI/RADAR/ROE/whatever set to ignore targets as their default state.

Switch them on when the coalition enters the area; switch them back off when the coalition exits.

Best way to control the engagement range of SAM firing AI ships?

How’s your LUA and scripting knowledge? You may be able to attack the ships with bombs with this....

https://wiki.hoggitworld.com/view/DCS_task_attackMapObject

Or this...

https://wiki.hoggitworld.com/view/DCS_task_attackUnit

Or this (if your ships aren’t moving)...

https://wiki.hoggitworld.com/view/DCS_task_bombing

Edited by GTFreeFlyer

My DCS Missions: Band of Buds series | The End of the T-55 Era | Normandy PvP | Host of the Formation Flight Challenge server

Supercarrier Reference Kneeboards

IRL: Private Pilot, UAS Test Pilot, Aircraft Designer, and... eh hem... DCS Enthusiast