I thought DCS was a combat simulator

Mouse_99

I saw they were pre-ordering a new civilian aerobatic plane. I was surprised and disappointed. I thought this was a combat simulator but now, whomever ponies up the bucks can shop their plane here too. So sad. I can see it if they provide a map for those who don't want to fly military combat, but want to fly (I guess), when they can easily use the many other flight sims that cater to those people. I hope Eagle Dynamics do not lose their way. hey have many great products in the pipeline right now, why they would want to do this is beyond me. It can only be for the money.

The discussion has been done a few times before (not just in regards to the CE2).

I just don't get it. Nothing is taken away from anyone if/when DCS opens up to new players that are more interested in GA/civil aviation. We get a potentially broader user base, more income for ED and the 3rd parties and more toys to play with.

In the meantime, DCS is still a hardcore military sim, and no aerobatics bird, or even cargo or passenger airliner, would change that. So why the disappointment? In fact we should all be happy about it, even those players who are not the least bit interested in the civil side of aviation.

Personally, I'm looking forward to all the cool vids and screenshots people are certainly going to post about the CE2, even though I'm not actually interested in the module. But like I said, nothing is taken away from anyone, quite the opposite.

I saw they were pre-ordering a new civilian aerobatic plane. I was surprised and disappointed. I thought this was a combat simulator but now, whomever ponies up the bucks can shop their plane here too. So sad. I can see it if they provide a map for those who don't want to fly military combat, but want to fly (I guess), when they can easily use the many other flight sims that cater to those people. I hope Eagle Dynamics do not lose their way. hey have many great products in the pipeline right now, why they would want to do this is beyond me. It can only be for the money.

It's a 3rd Party, not ED. They also built it for experience in making piston planes before they move onto a WWII fighter, decided to finish it and sell it.

You'd know this if you'd taken 2 minutes for some research before posting what could be called a rant.

I'm not going to gripe about its existance either, it's an optional module which a whole bunch of people will enjoy, and it'll take nothing away from the actual main sim.

Edited by Buzzles

It is actually a combat aircraft simulator. It's ability to simulate combat, in single player, is questionable at best.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

Wow, and here I thought discrimination went away in the ‘70s...nope, still alive and well.

“Oh look! An aerobatic plane! Well, there goes the neighborhood!”

:D ... a very apt analogy.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

I don't get it. Every map in DCS has civilian airfields...

Agreed, but civie FS guys want a realistic ATC as well.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

What difference does it actually make, chances are you might even improve your piloting skills in either a YAK or a CE2 besides if you don't like it you don't have to buy it. Each to their own. ;)

You do realise the CE 2 was announced over 12 months ago.

From Leatherneck's site

Just for giggles or at least a progression of helicopter training we could also argue for an R44 actually used as a trainer in many defence forces around the world including the US. :D

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

An aerobatic plane in a simulator architecture that has great edge of envelope modeling and VR?

Honestly it's a no brainer for anyone who still remembers the original Flight Unlimited. FSX/Lockheed does not handle aerobatics well.

And for $30?

Edited by RustBelt

I probably should have said server, where civies can fly without getting shot out of the sky. or interfering with flight operations. From the responses, I must have hit a nerve, or something. Not sure why people get so testy, they need to let people know you aren't allowed to comment on anything. That would calm them down a bit.

Wow, and here I thought discrimination went away in the ‘70s...nope, still alive and well.

I was thinking this is a place for Combat air sims to congregate and enjoy and share their experiences, if you think that is discriminating, sorry for you. I just find flying around doing nothing and landing again is pretty boring stuff. That's all. I'm new here, so I guess I won't comment on anything, you all win.

acting passive aggressive about it wont find you more sycophants lmao

fact of the matter is

1. you dont have a say in where the boat sails

2. the boat has sailed long ago

welcome to reality, enjoy your stay.

Edited by probad