Can't get AI F-18's to attack OSA boats

jmarso

About pulling my hair out with this damn thing. Not talking about wingmen here, but a separate AI group.

First question- does the game recognize the OSAs as ships for an 'anti-ship' mission or are they too small?

I've tried all sorts of different ordnance loadouts. Nothing works. Not maverick, not rockeye, nothing.

Tried it as 'anti-ship' and even as SEAD. I've given the group a specific 'perform task' order to hit the target group, both using 'AUTO' for weapons and picking the weapons specifically. The group will. Not. Engage.

Anyone have some insight on this? I built another mission with almost the same profile for an attacking group against a swarm of speedboats, and they dive right in and attack. I cannot for the life of me figure out what the hell is going on here.

Well, this is a SP mission, and the problem isn't that the boats can't be killed; it's that the AI group of Hornets refuses to engage them no matter what I try. I'm probably going to try substituting a different enemy unit and see if that makes a difference.

As an aside, would it be something in the OSA's lua file that makes the game's AI not recognize them as a valid target or something like that? I'm not a coder or a scripter, I'm just trying to figure out what the issue might be.

What I'm finding is that generally speaking, the AI overall in this game is very sub-par. Wingmen are about useless as well, except as missile sponges.

@jmarso

My personal hunch is that the DCS API doesn't recognize the mod OSAs, because they aren't fully implemented.

Creating the 3D models and animations is one thing... making the unit fully functional within the DCS scripting engine is another.

I can tell you that speedboats (and probably the rest of DCS naval units) can be set as targets for AI aircraft.

Check this other thread to see how:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=243960

Edited by Hardcard

Got it working, based in a note I saw in a similar thread to this one. I guess the key thing is to use AGM-65E instead of F. With the E's they rolled in and sank the lot of them, no problem except for return fire, chaff and flares city, and a couple losses.

This is the kind of stuff that needs go into the manual eventually, regarding the ME. Jeez!