Inter-Modular Multiplayer Compatibility

Hi,

will it be possible to add a MiG-21Bis Client to a mission in the editor without having that module installed?

Will DCS World need a update/patch for this module?

Hi,

will it be possible to add a MiG-21Bis Client to a mission in the editor without having that module installed?

well since it is possible to add Ka-50s in the DCS:W Editor, i guess it will be.

well since it is possible to add Ka-50s in the DCS:W Editor, i guess it will be.

But the KA-50 is from the same developer as DCSW. So that makes sense.

Will it make sense that ED patches DCSW to ensure multiplayer, AI and editor compatibility with every 3rd party release? That is the question which remains open.

Oh and Dragon

Are you suggesting that you're not going to buy the Mig? Grrrr :P

Edited by TurboHog

'Frett'

Will it make sense that ED patches DCSW to ensure multiplayer, AI and editor compatibility with every 3rd party release? That is the question which remains open.

That's what I'm talking about.

Oh and Dragon

I'm not sure yet.

I think this module is very good developed and fits perfect to DCS but I'm not interested in the MiG-21. It's not my plane.

Oh and Dragon

My guess would be 3rd party developers get early access to releases so they can ensure their products are compatible. For the most part, the normal bug-fix that takes place should not impact a 3rd party AC at all.

Let's compare that to say when ED added in dynamic cockpit shadows - obviously the developers would need access to the release so they can ensure their products can take advantage of this feature. Whether 3rd party developers get access prior to, or after, public release is something ED has not discussed and I don't expect them to until at least one 3rd party product is released into the wild.

I'm sure ED has plans, and some of those plans will change, for 3rd party support. The fact is none of the matters until 3rd party products begin to get released. At that point, I'm positive, 3rd party developers will be able to make suggestions as to how to improve the release process for DCSW and how it relates to module updates.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

All you have to do is add in a Mig-21 into the mission, set it as player controllable/selectable. (forget the exact syntax)

This will allow for players to fly this aircraft in the mission once the module is released - granted that they have purchased that module.

Win 10 Pro 64Bit | 49" UWHD AOC 5120x1440p | AMD 5900x | 64Gb DDR4 | RX 6900XT

• ED Team
Hi,

I would also like to know the answer to this.

I would think that ED would have to add this to the core of DCS World, perhaps with only the option for client control so people without it could make missions for it, but not as AI, I dont know that 3rd Party Devs would want their stuff added to World as AI planes for free, but then I dont pretend to understand how all this would work. :pilotfly:

64Sig.png
Forum RulesMy YouTube • My Discord - NineLine#0440• **How to Report a Bug**

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

I would also like to know the answer to this.

Yes you need to have the add-on installed to be able to create missions with it.

I haven't tried just having it installed but not activated (unpaid for) and see if it is listed in the ME. I would assume it would still let you create a mission for it, you just can't fly it.

Basically the add-on module "adds" the aircraft into the core DCS World functions, so in theory it should be listed in the ME, with all weapons that are programmed into the add-on.

You could probably even have an AI fly it.

It's all trial and error for the dev teams to work out.

• ED Team
Yes you need to have the add-on installed to be able to create missions with it.

I haven't tried just having it installed but not activated (unpaid for) and see if it is listed in the ME. I would assume it would still let you create a mission for it, you just can't fly it.

Basically the add-on module "adds" the aircraft into the core DCS World functions, so in theory it should be listed in the ME, with all weapons that are programmed into the add-on.

You could probably even have an AI fly it.

It's all trial and error for the dev teams to work out.

So these 3rd party modules wont be added like ED modules then? I know with the Black Shark before I could use it in World (I had the upgrade version), I could add it but not fly it.

64Sig.png

1146563203_makefg(6).png.82dab0a01be3a361522f3fff75916ba4.png  80141746_makefg(1).png.6fa028f2fe35222644e87c786da1fabb.png  28661714_makefg(2).png.b3816386a8f83b0cceab6cb43ae2477e.png  389390805_makefg(3).png.bca83a238dd2aaf235ea3ce2873b55bc.png  216757889_makefg(4).png.35cb826069cdae5c1a164a94deaff377.png  1359338181_makefg(5).png.e6135dea01fa097e5d841ee5fb3c2dc5.png

• ED Team
I would have thought it would be integrated in to world much like any other non-installed aircraft no?

I don't like the idea of different versions of world depending on what modules you own. World should be common to all DCS users.

Nate

If its not integrated, this will make it so people that dont own it cant fly on MP servers where the host owns it, even if they want to fly another aircraft... thats sounds like a step backwards to me... hmmm... have to wait and see I guess.

64Sig.png

If its not integrated, this will make it so people that dont own it cant fly on MP servers where the host owns it, even if they want to fly another aircraft... thats sounds like a step backwards to me... hmmm... have to wait and see I guess.

It is possible that all the users must download and install the new module although only the buyers can activate it..

My TM Warthog DIY extension tutorial

C2Duo E8600 @ 4.4Ghz. | Asus Rampage Formula X48 | MSI GTX 560Ti OC |

8Gb.Corsair DDR2 RAM @ 1103Mhz. | Crucial M4 128Gb. SSD | 850W. PSU |

HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Pedals | TIR 5 | Helios | 24" Monitor/22" Touchscreen

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

It is possible that all the users must download and install the new module although only the buyers can activate it..

That still breaks Multiplayer compatibility. However if there is agreement with 3rd party vendors there are plans to make compatibly seamless to the player.

Nate

In theory that wouldn't break MP, as long as the server has it installed the ME will see it in the map and host it. The "player" would need to have it installed to see the external model (and not get kicked from the server). To fly it, you need to buy it.

If you dont have the module installed you'll get an error trying to join the server.

I'm still running tests but I think this will work.

If you dont have the module installed you'll get an error trying to join the server.

To me that is breaking MP compatibility, it will split the community between servers that support various modules and those that support other various modules. Ideally the files required for compatibility between owner and non owners would be integrated into the Common DCS world, preserving a complete compatible base for all.

Remember the thing c0ff is working on BTW, should aid with this too.

Nate

Edited by Nate--IRL--

I would have thought it would be integrated in to world much like any other non-installed aircraft no?

I don't like the idea of different versions of world depending on what modules you own. World should be common to all DCS users.

Nate

THIS!

"Isn't this fun!?" - Inglorious Bastards

"I rode a tank, held a general's rank / When the Blitzkrieg raged, and the bodies stank!" - Stones.

To me that is breaking MP compatibility, it will split the community between servers that support various modules and those that support other various modules. Ideally the files required for compatibility between owner and non owners would be integrated into the Common DCS world, preserving a complete compatible base for all.

Nate

Well there may be licensing issues with dev teams giving their add-on to TFC to integrate into World.

Early days yet and we'll all come up with a solution that works :)

• ED Team
In theory that wouldn't break MP, as long as the server has it installed the ME will see it in the map and host it. The "player" would need to have it installed to see the external model (and not get kicked from the server). To fly it, you need to buy it.

I'm still running tests but I think this will work.

Nate

If someone serving a multiplayer session has to buy every module to be able to host, it will be a game / multiplayer breaker.

Its essential the modules are integrated into world, anything else would be a nail in the coffin for the DCS series and multiplayer as we know it.

as long as the model is in so everyone can see it even if they dont own it, thats all that is required, and I am sure you will all sort it out

Edited by BIGNEWY

smallCATPILOT.PNG.04bbece1b27ff1b2c193b174ec410fc0.PNG

Forum rules - DCS Crashing? Try this first - Cleanup and Repair - Discord BIGNEWY#8703 - Youtube - Patch Status

Windows 11, NVIDIA MSI RTX 3090, Intel® i9-10900K 3.70GHz, 5.30GHz Turbo, Corsair Hydro Series H150i Pro, 64GB DDR @3200, ASUS ROG Strix Z490-F Gaming, HP Reverb G2

That's what I'm saying, I don't think you have to buy the add-on. As long as it's installed on the server and client it should work.

It's still very early days but of course no one wants MP to "break" so we'll figure it out.

To be honest, seeing other people fly another aircraft might encourage those who don't have it to buy it... Seeing other aircraft is essential for keeping the community together. IL-2 mods have no consistency across them. This lead to the community segregating and, for the last few years at least, you flew with the same group of guys every time because you knew they had the same mods as you...

Whether DCS could introduce a similar system to steam eg, when you start the game, if there is an update it is automatically downloaded and installed, that could keep everybody on an even keel :)

Virtual Horsemen - Right Wing (P-51)  - 2008... 

Virtual Ultimate Fighters - Lead (P-47) - 2020...