Will Night Fighters ever be a thing?

The most basic form of this would be adding searchlight ground units, and implementing GCI into 109 and 190. With this, you could effectively recreate "Wilde Sau" nightfighter units.

If we ever see planes like bf-110 with night fighter variants, or even specialized night fighters such as the He-219 or the P-61, the modelling of their complex systems would be more difficult, but would be interesting to see done on a level with DCS standards. Unfortunately its a very niche part of the air battles of wwii, and I don't believe it will see much attention, but I hope so.

I agree, it would be super interesting.

Just read an account where a Ju-188 flew for Eire to surrender, in foggy weather. They were actually able to see the coast on their radar, from above the clouds.

However, apart from being complicated, I think we will only see them long into the WW II project, if ever.

First of all, we need good AI bombers to attack, secondly there need to be made night versions of these.

So I think it will take quite some time.

System specs:

Gigabyte Aorus Master, i7 9700K@std, GTX 1080TI OC, 32 GB 3000 MHz RAM, NVMe M.2 SSD, Oculus Quest VR (2x1600x1440)

Warthog HOTAS w/150mm extension, Slaw pedals, Gametrix Jetseat, TrackIR for monitor use

If I wanted any airplane for that role it would be the P-61 :).

But realy though, night fighters are usless without bombers though. So not before the first bomber :P.

Northrop_P-61_green_airborne.jpg

Edited by Solty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

I just want every aircraft ever built, every era, maps for everything, and INCREDIBLY fast frame rates.

Can we have it all this Friday please ED?

:music_whistling::music_whistling:

Bottom line however - we'll get whatever the developers have the resources and inclination to develop. Lots of things would be nice, but I wouldn't hold your breath.

Finally, I wish we had a poll to ask how many polls we want. I think that's about the only thing left to have a poll about - and I know there isn't a poll on this thread before anyone says so! Maybe also a wishlist for all the wishlists we'd like?

I expect we will see the more simple single seat night fighters used by the US Navy and Marines first, such as the F4U-2 or F4U-5N. They should be much easier to implement and fill fit perfectly into the 3rd party WW2 Pacific and Korea scenarios.

I think it is good that people ask for more stuff. It makes Devs think of how to expand their game in the future.

Edited by Solty

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]In 21st century there is only war and ponies.

My experience: Jane's attack squadron, IL2 for couple of years, War Thunder and DCS.

My channel:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyAXX9rAX_Sqdc0IKJuv6dA

If I wanted any airplane for that role it would be the P-61 :).

But realy though, night fighters are usless without bombers though. So not before the first bomber :P.

While I would love to see a P-61, I would MUCH rather see an A-20G. It would give us a relatively fast, turret-armed light bomber and attack aircraft with excellent forward firepower (4x 20mm+2x.50cal or 6x .50cal), used by USAAC, RAF, *and* VVS, *and* it would give us about 95% of the systems for the P-70 night fighter, meaning they could release the A-20G/ P-70 as a package deal.

They could do similar with an A-26C (strike bomber)/ B-26N (night fighter) package, which gives the advantage of being useable for Korea and Vietnam era, but the B-26N was relatively rare compared to the P-70, and was operated only be France, post-war. Still, extremely fast and maneuverable light strike bomber with ridiculous forward firepower, good turret armament, and a night-fighter variant.

Edited by OutOnTheOP

Well you get in a P-51, or Fw190, or Bf109, set the mission to night. You're flying now a night fighter :D :D :D.

Joking aside, many of the night fighters in WWII were just day fighters used during the night. I believe we only need the map and the (at least) AI units to have the opportunity to experience night fighting. Then dedicated fighters would be welcome of course. Anybody said Mosquito? Not just German ones.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Personally I am scared of the dark :)

And I get lost on these aircraft in the day time, who knows where I would end up at night :)

Crank up the gamma on your monitor. Problem solved. ;)

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I expect we will see the more simple single seat night fighters used by the US Navy and Marines first, such as the F4U-2 or F4U-5N. They should be much easier to implement and fill fit perfectly into the 3rd party WW2 Pacific and Korea scenarios.

I would love to see that and I hope LN knows about this. Pacific and Korea are some of the theatres I most want expanded, and planes like P-61 fit.

Well you get in a P-51, or Fw190, or Bf109, set the mission to night. You're flying now a night fighter :D :D :D.

Joking aside, many of the night fighters in WWII were just day fighters used during the night. I believe we only need the map and the (at least) AI units to have the opportunity to experience night fighting. Then dedicated fighters would be welcome of course. Anybody said Mosquito? Not just German ones.

S!

Mosquito is one of my favorite planes, ever. I just imagine it to be more of a night INTRUDER, in terms of the night air wars. The Mosquito gave the Luftwaffe a lot of problems, especially when they started flying it into Reich territory at night. A lot of secret projects such as the He-219 uhu or the Do-335 were designed as night fighters that could catch fast movers at night time.

I would honestly love to see the Mosquito in DCS in any configuration, once multicrew is a thing, and it would definetely give a lot more possibilities for night fighters.

Mosquito is one of my favorite planes, ever. I just imagine it to be more of a night INTRUDER, in terms of the night air wars. The Mosquito gave the Luftwaffe a lot of problems, especially when they started flying it into Reich territory at night. A lot of secret projects such as the He-219 uhu or the Do-335 were designed as night fighters that could catch fast movers at night time.

I would honestly love to see the Mosquito in DCS in any configuration, once multicrew is a thing, and it would definetely give a lot more possibilities for night fighters.

You wouldn't even need multicrew for a mosquito night fighter or fighter bomber. Just switch seats like in most of the helis that are in game if you need the map or the radar.