Naval aircraft modules would be fantastic

I am always a big fan of WWII carrier ops. With great sims like DCS and IL BOS, the only time I need go back to decades old sim like IL-2 1946 is when I am craving for some battles in pacific. Just wonder if naval stuff is an area of interest for DCS' future development? I know Leatherneck is developing a great mod currently. :smilewink:

Leatherneck stated a few times that, Corsair is start of a new theater project. Along with it will come stuff like AI planes, ground objects, maps (we know of Iwo Jima, but that will be a starter map for LN apparently). They may not all arrive at the same time but, this is Leatherneck's eventual intention apparently.

They have also shared cryptic image of an in development 3D model, which looked like enigne cylinder heads of a Japanese fighter, possibly the Zero.

Then, there is VEAO's Martlet, which is basically a Wildcat, I think it probably will have naval capability too.

So, I believe DCS : Pacific Front, will slowly become a thing in next few years.

VEAO also have a couple naval post war über-props in development : Bearcat and Sea Fury.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

Seafire mk-whatever would be nice. "Interesting" to land, but suitably similar to a spitfire to allow cross-development (once the appropriate spit is out).

The Seafire Mk III would be the most representative option- It was the most produced variant (though the Griffon powered Mk XV would also be fun, especially since the prop torque pulls you towards the carrier island:helpsmilie:).

Aerodynamically it's probably pretty similar to the Mk IX, but rather than having a 2-stage, high altitude rated Merlin it has the Merlin 55, a single stage single speed engine designed to deliver maximum power below 2000m. The thing would be a beast on the deck, but it would suffer at even medium altitude.

Of course if you really want the WW2 carrier aircraft, one that saw action everywhere and accounted for itself pretty well, you need the Grumman F4F Wildcat...

We're getting all these American planes, what about the A6M?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

DCS:WWII 1944 BACKER --- Fw. 190D-9 --- Bf. 109K-4 --- P-51D --- Spitfire!

Specs: Intel i7-3770 @3.9 Ghz - NVidia GTX 960 - 8GB RAM - OCz Vertex 240GB SSD - Toshiba 1TB HDD - Corsair CX 600M Power Supply - MSI B75MA-P45 MoBo - Defender Cobra M5

We're getting all these American planes, what about the A6M?

Better question: Which A6M should we have? If we're getting American carrier based planes then some kind of Zero to face them is practically mandatory.

I'd also like to see something like a Ki-84, Ki-100 or N1K2 as a foe for the more advanced Western fighters like the P-51D.

As I have said above, Leatherneck is probably doing a Japanese bird too. But it may be AI only at this point.

I LOVE Zero and Oscar. But as stated above, Ki-84, Ki-100 or N1K2 would provide better competition against Mustang and Corsair, and eventual Thunderbolt.

Wishlist: F-4E Block 53 +, MiG-27K, Su-17M3 or M4, AH-1F or W circa 80s or early 90s, J35 Draken, Kfir C7, Mirage III/V

DCS-Dismounts Script

What we can do is pick a time period or a single battle? For example, battle of midway or Mariana campaign or B-29 bombing campaign over Japan etc. Then we don't have deal with so many different aircraft variants. For example, if you pick battle of midway, then the only Zero available is the a6m21. For USN, you only have wildcat.

We have 3 flyable WW2 aircraft, no map, and the Spit isn't on preoder yet. I would wager the timeline for the wishes in this thread might be 10 years in the future. If someone is smart, he will invest $50 and by the time all this stuff is available for purchase, it will have matured into $500 and the modules will be paid for.:doh:

Now, if the Spit IX can just be released this summer I will be happy.:yes:

Edited by gavagai

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

It wish ED would picked a time-frame, like '42, and coordinate with the 3rd Parties to put out a map and a number of air craft which were actually in combat with each other in that time frame.

A time-frame like '42-'43 with an area like the Solomon Islands would make for a huge number of possibilities for missions.

It would also allow for just building a map with Midway Island, which I suspect would be fairly simple in comparison to the Solomons, considering the limit of landmass to represent, to have one of the most epic battles of the war.

When you hit the wrong button on take-off

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D PSU: Corsair HX1200 PSU Monitor: ASUS MG279Q, 27"
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

Well they kind of are... Normandy 1944 map, yes okay we are getting a 1943 Spitfire from ED (up against late 1944 luftwaffe aircraft) however VEAO are making the XIV version and many other aircraft from 1943/44 :)

Windows 10 Pro | ASUS RANGER VIII | i5 6600K @ 4.6GHz| MSI RTX 2060 SUPER | 32GB RAM | Corsair H100i | Corsair Carbide 540 | HP Reverb G2 | MFG crosswind Pedals | Custom Spitfire Cockpit

Project IX Cockpit

Considering that there was... how much aerial combat over Normandy?... most of the aircraft we have now were more common long after Normandy had become history, a better choice might have been Southern England 1940.

But we have no aircraft for that time period and certainly not the ones necessary to represent anything close to the Battle of Briton even on the road map. But that would have been hugely interesting.

Anyway, this is way off subject. Sorry for that.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler
System board: MSI X670E ACE Memory: 64GB DDR5-6000 G.Skill Ripjaw System disk: Crucial P5 M.2 2TB
CPU cooling: Noctua NH-D15S Graphics card: MSI RTX 3090Ti SuprimX VR: Oculus Rift CV1

I saw even the status of BF109 is still WIP. What's up with that? What work still to be done with 109?
Some mod said a few days ago they're preparing official launch soon.

It wish ED would picked a time-frame, like '42, and coordinate with the 3rd Parties to put out a map and a number of air craft which were actually in combat with each other in that time frame.
You mean RRG scam by Luthier should had a better choice? :lol: ED did nothing but save our arses.

Personally I would pick a slightly different planeset, but still after what we have tasted I can't be unhappy about them and I'm anything but eagerly awaiting to taste Spitfire. Also if Normandy map is as big as it looks like it'll be after Wags info request it's name could be whatever but Normandy, even just Channel'44. We hope it'll be that huge :).

Back on current topic, I'm sad Leatherneck spoke about next module Saab Viggen and nothing about the Corsair (only confirmed the leak IIRC), but still lets hope it won't be late. Iwo Jima map can't take long to be created, and sooner or later lets hope to see the Japanese fighter to counter it. I know it would be a tough time fighting Corsairs, but still I would like to see a6m5 in a DCS level although a Ki-84 would be awesome also.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

Love a corsair is a must have for ww2 but i was also hopeing for vietname era stuff like the phantom and a4/prowler/intruder maybe even the thud..

The "SCALES" of aeronautical performance will weigh heavily on your next move..

8<

You mean RRG scam by Luthier should had a better choice? :lol: ED did nothing but save our arses.

Personally I would pick a slightly different planeset, but still after what we have tasted I can't be unhappy about them and I'm anything but eagerly awaiting to taste Spitfire. Also if Normandy map is as big as it looks like it'll be after Wags info request it's name could be whatever but Normandy, even just Channel'44. We hope it'll be that huge :).

8<

No, I mean ED could organize a strategic direction, and not leave the reigns to a 3rd party like RRG, or what we see now.

From the perspective of the player, (just looking at carrier aircraft) instead of getting

Grumman F8F Bearcat

F4U-1 Corsair

Grumman F4F Wildcat

Hawker Sea Hurricane

Hawker Sea Fury

Supermarine Seafire

and a Forrestal Class Carrier

we might get

F4f Wildcat

SBD Dauntless

TBD Devastator or TBF Avenger

A6M2 Zero

Nakajima B5N Kate

Aichi D3A Val or Yokosuka D4Y Jill

You wouldn't even need to have an aircraft carrier to start with, because all these aircraft also operated from land as well, and you can bomb and torpedo other things than just aircraft carriers.

There would be a handful of aircraft which actually flew in the same theater at the same time.

It would be a building block on which more could be added. There are a plethora of strictly land based aircraft which would fit in to this mix well, all of which flew in the same theater at the same time, and some which also flew in Europe.

I think this would draw far more people than aircraft which on an academic level might be interesting, but which could only be put to use in a very hypothetical sense.

There are many players who are ready to spend money, but want to have more than just a museum piece.

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler

Check out veao they have quite a few naval aircraft planned

http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=127100

Don't hold your hopes high, the have lots of aircraft planned, and at their current pace they won't finish in this decade.

Corsair is on temporary hold http://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?p=2768477#post2768477

• Like 1

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

You know Razor, I can really appreciate your enthusiasm.

I'm just as enthusiastic about getting an environment that would also make for some good gaming.

I think you'll get your wish first :smilewink:

hwl7xqL.gif

System Specs.

Spoiler