Carrier as "AWACS"?

Kenan

Are there any plans to enable carrier to provide contact/bandit readouts (similar to AWACS)?

It's safe to say that the carrier has a pretty powerful radar (and at sea) and I assume this should be a common practice in real life, at least when it comes to area covered by radar?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commanding Officer of:

2nd Company 1st financial guard battalion "Mrcine"

See our squads here and our

Croatian radio chat for DCS World

I would say that the most powerful radars in the carrier group by far ar those belonging to the AEGIS class destructors. They are meant to provide even ballistic missile defense and their range is huge. The carrier on the other hand only have a radar for traffic purposes afaik.

In any case, the carrier group always have dedicated awacs planes that patrol well ahead of the carrier group and closer to expected threats.

That said, i reformulate your request ;p, AEGIS class destroyers as AWACS?

Good call OP.

Probably less about the technology, more about the ability to call up the air defence control, whether they are on a carrier, awacs or ground based.

For the example:

- groups control vectoring of aircraft, probably starting with the RAF in the Battle of Britain, then the German defence of Europe, Russian air defence etc

- ship borne control. Eg Falklands and say ww2 Pacific

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

The carrier most certainly has long range air search and track radars. The 48E/49 combo has longer range and can see better over land than AEGIS. Also, E2 assets are limited, and not always up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Any source for that? It seems strange to me that a conventional antena in the carrier can see anything better that the monstruous dedicated active arrays(SPY1 AESAS) antenas in the arleigh classes (or similar, dont remember now which class had the bigger "thing" :p)

Enviado desde mi SM-G950F mediante Tapatalk

Carrier as "AWACS"?

As a former tactical operator and maintainer of both, unfortunately nothing for this venue. Phased array is fantastic at executing its designed mission, but radar physics, atmospherics (particularly in a maritime environment), geography and computation limitations always force trade-offs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by legearre

How does this work in real life?

My assumption is that a jet is vectored by a single “controller”, and I’d assume they’re either onboard an awacs or carrier.

I’m also assuming that there’s communication links between the various radars on different ships and awacs. How is that data all pulled together?

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

This is a modern ITALIAN AWACS in the GULFSTREAM G550.:

CAEW has a AEW-BM&C (Airborne Early Warning, Battlefield Management & Communication)

CAEW.jpg

operators AWACS enter in the FLY OFFICE CONTROLL

Edited by Xilon_x

How does this work in real life?

My assumption is that a jet is vectored by a single “controller”, and I’d assume they’re either onboard an awacs or carrier.

I’m also assuming that there’s communication links between the various radars on different ships and awacs. How is that data all pulled together?

In NATO, jets are controlled by a "Weapon Director", usually on board an AWACS. If there is no AWACS, the pilot will receive information from the ground and build up his own air picture using own sensors.

Back in the days, Russians relied on Ground Controlled Intercept which is basically the same. With the IL-50, the Russians have the equivalent of an AWACS so my guess would be they work on the same principle.

In NATO, Link systems (11, 16, 22) are used to share sensor contacts throughout the theater of battle. The higher the link number, the more modern the system is and the more it can tell about a contact. Link systems cannot work with higher or lower number systems as they are wildly different in architecture and hardware.

The Link system gives rise to the use of radar "picket" stations such as ships or AWACS where the contacts this unit sees, is shared with all other who have their active radar switched off in order to avoid detection.

I know of several russian jets having some sort of Link system between them, the KA-50 has a datalink system but as to their ability to share contacts with ground stations, units or ships, I do not know.

An interesting read on the different Link systems: https://www.northropgrumman.com/Capabilities/DataLinkProcessingAndManagement/Documents/Understanding_Voice+Data_Link_Networking.pdf

Edited by Looney

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Commodore 64 | MOS6510 | VIC-II | SID6581 | DD 1541 | KCS Power Cartridge | 64Kb | 32Kb external | Arcade Turbo

• 3 years later...

Apologies for bumping a very old thread, but I'm trying to understand if a modern day "Freddy" can be replicated.  Freddy is the Royal Navy term for a Fighter Controller on a ship.  They would essentially do the job of "AWACS from a carrier (or destroyer)."

I have looked at MOOSE/MIST and various other scripts to see if this is possible as I am running a group of Carrier-based Harriers and I would like to train up in very basic airborne interdiction.

So to bump the question, can DCS be configured to have a surface unit exhibit the same behaviour as an AWACS to mimic what I am referring to as a Freddy, or Fighter Controller?

• Like 2

With the F-14 you can already use the carrier and other warships as DL providers in DCS.

• Like 2

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

7 часов назад, QuiGon сказал:

With the F-14 you can already use the carrier and other warships as DL providers in DCS.

Does it realy work or it's just possible to switch but without any help to you as it does AWACS?

Edited by kievbsm

1 hour ago, kievbsm said:

Does it realy work or it's just possible to switch but without any help to you as it does AWACS?

I'm not really understanding what you're saying there, but the carrier and other warships provide DL to the Tomcat just like an E-3 AWACS does. There is no difference in the type of information provided to the Tomcat by those platforms. AWACS just has the advantage of longer range and not being as restricted by the horizon and terrain as ship based radars are.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

16 hours ago, engines said:

But you can't call up the carrier on the radio and get BRAA calls though, right?

Yeah, DL only.

• Like 1

Tornado3 small.jpg

I think it would be a very interesting thing for DCS to implement full ground-based controllers, which are contactable via radio. It would really expand the capabilities of nations in the game which don't have access to AWACS in reality. For example, Iran surely guides its aircraft from the ground, yet if I were playing a Liberation campaign, we have to put an unrealistic A-50 on the Iranian side in order to balance it out.

Hopefully something for the future ATC overhaul, perhaps?

• Like 2

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

15 minutes ago, LooseSeal said:

I think it would be a very interesting thing for DCS to implement full ground-based controllers,

DCS already offers ground based EWRs, which do exactly this.

• Like 1

Tornado3 small.jpg

10 minutes ago, QuiGon said:

DCS already offers ground based EWRs, which do exactly this.

That we can contact via radio to request pictures, etc?

25 minutes ago, LooseSeal said:

implement full ground-based controllers, which are contactable via radio

If I've missed the ability to contact EWRs via radio over the last 5 or 6 years I'd really be kicking myself...

• Like 1

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

2 minutes ago, LooseSeal said:

That we can contact via radio to request pictures, etc?

Yep, works exactly like AEW&C aircraft. 🙂

2 minutes ago, LooseSeal said:

If I've missed the ability to contact EWRs via radio over the last 5 or 6 years I'd really be kicking myself...

Guess you better start kicking! 😅

Modules I own: F-14A/B, Mi-24P, AV-8B N/A, AJS 37, F-5E-3, MiG-21bis, F-16CM, F/A-18C, Supercarrier, Mi-8MTV2, UH-1H, Mirage 2000C, FC3, MiG-15bis, Ka-50, A-10C (+ A-10C II), P-47D, P-51D, C-101, Yak-52, WWII Assets, CA, NS430, Hawk.

Terrains I own: South Atlantic, Syria, The Channel, SoH/PG, Marianas.

System:

GIGABYTE B650 AORUS ELITE AX, AMD Ryzen 5 7600, Corsair Vengeance DDR5-5200 32 GB, Western Digital Black SN850X 1 TB (DCS dedicated) & 2 TB NVMe SSDs, Corsair RM850X 850 W, NZXT H7 Flow, MSI G274CV.

Peripherals: VKB Gunfighter Mk.II w. MCG Pro, MFG Crosswind V3 Graphite, Logitech Extreme 3D Pro.

Argh, really? I somehow did not know that at all. I guess I've never seen it used before? I always thought the EWRs were essentially just there for the benefit of the AI. Ha!

Let the kicking commence!

• Like 1

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

1 hour ago, LooseSeal said:

Argh, really? I somehow did not know that at all. I guess I've never seen it used before? I always thought the EWRs were essentially just there for the benefit of the AI. Ha!

Let the kicking commence!

Yeah, it's not that commonly, especially on public multiplayer servers. It's most often encountered in Soviet sided SP missions or campaign, especially with the MiG-21 which depends on this a lot, and on the Cold War 1947 - 1990 multiplayer server, where ground based EWRs are used a lot.

Tornado3 small.jpg