[FIXED] Precision Dive Bombing--Aim Cues Still Leaving HUD

pdmarsh

First, I stand corrected. There is altitude information in the manual, but I missed it. The delivery profile graphic does not show range or altitude. However, the series of HUD indicator images below the profile graphic does show altitudes on the left. My bad for missing that.

Second, I flew the low altitude delivery profile (start dive at 750 meters) and had some success with it. Still, like the high altitude delivery profile I was attempting, it's not very forgiving. Maybe that's normal. I had my best deliveries with a level approach to the target and nosing down after the target passes below the aircraft. Even then it takes a bit of effort to keep the aim cue on the HUD. The few attempts I made with a lower altitude approach and pop-up to 750 meters were not as successful. Maybe practice will take care of that.

Since this is so different from my experience with first release of the Viggen module, I would appreciate hearing from Heatblur if what we have now is considered final with regard to precision dive bombing.

Thanks,

Paul

Precision Dive Bombing--Aim Cues Still Leaving HUD

Yeah from what I remember dive-bombing worked OK when Viggen was initially released but something has since then changed. I’ve put a lot of effort into the bombing lately and eliminated potential issues. From what I can tell the code looks correct. I also have two or three test-missions set up that I verify against and the bombs do hit in those. But it could still be issues regardless. Could you guys maybe post a as short as possible replay where you experience issues with the bombing so maybe I can replicate it on my machine?

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

There will always be bugs. If everything is a priority nothing is.

Hi RagnarDa,

I'll be happy to provide whatever additional input I can, but it might have to wait until the weekend. I'll try to capture some video as well as a replay file.

While I think precision bombing is in a usable state now, with practice, I hesitate to say it's all good. I don't know yet how difficult it will be outside of a controlled test scenario. If I didn't follow the precise profiles noted above, high or low, it wasn't possible to keep the aim cue on the HUD.

One thing I have noticed that I just don't remember if it was present before was that when approaching the target area straight and level, and when in ANF/DYK modes, the aim cue stays toward the top of the HUD. As you nose over, at some point the aim cue jumps to the bottom of the HUD.

Thanks,

Paul

The bomb sight behavior seems to vary depending on a map. Three tracks from simple tests are attached below, I tried to repeat the same dive attack from about 2200 m on different maps.

Caucasus: The sight first moves down and right and then skips to center of the HUD. It is little bit confusing but there's enough time left for aiming.

Persian Gulf: The sight appears just in the center position after the start of the descent, but somewhat later, I would say. But I am able hit the target.

Nevada: The sight appears on the HUD too late for me.

Viggen_Dive_Bomb_Caucasus.trk

Viggen_Dive_Bomb_PG.trk

Viggen_Dive_Bomb_Nevada.trk

I have been testing this yesterday and today and was quite successful actually.

But one thing I noticed was that it seems that I must to have higher speed now, which will make the sight in a good place.

Not 100% sure, but I think I could get away with lower speed in the "early" Viggen?

I have also noticed as PD, that when level the sight is very high in the hud.

Cant seem to remembering it being that high before?

Anyway, precision seems very good for me at the moment and maybe the seed is supposed to be quite high?

I should add that I've been flying at Caucasus, after reading previous post.

Best regards,

M

Edited by surstromming
Added info

Yeah one thing I should mention that has change since the initial release of Viggen regarding this sight mode is that I’ve added the same shallow-mode as in the rockets and guns-sight. Before the sight would go hysteric in shallow dives.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

@RagnarDa -- I made a video this afternoon that shows fairly well the problems I am having with precision dive bombing. In a controlled environment with level approaches I was getting it to work, but the scenario in the video has been all but impossible for me to work out. While the video might run a bit long, I do request that you watch it in its entirety to see HUD aiming cue behavior under different approaches.

Thank you,

Paul

Ok, I put a target waypoint at the big dam near Tsulashi and tried things out with the same results as Paul had. Even with a shallower approach I normally use for DYK, the HUD symbology was jumping between above and below the HUD glass depending on my attitude and (I think) AGL altitude. Thinking it might be the radar in variable terrain, I turned off the radar, which IIRC should set the mode for non-precision dive bombing (where it just uses the QFE altitude to complete the bombing triangle) and I still had the same problems.

Thanks for the video pdmarsh! It explains the issue you are having very good. I believe I found the issue: do you have wind in your mission? Otherwise I can't replicated consistently what I see in your video. I've discovered an issue with bombing compensation because of wind (the time-of-flight of the bombs was incorrectly calculated) which would produce a very incorrrect bombing solution. Try the mission again without any wind or let me have the mission file. The fix could anyway hopefully be included in next patch of DCS, which would be wednesday I think.

DCS AJS37 HACKERMAN

Thanks for the video pdmarsh! It explains the issue you are having very good. I believe I found the issue: do you have wind in your mission?

My pleasure and good news! Yes, there is a bit of wind in the mission. I actually wondered about how wind would affect this. The original mission is attached. To save time, you might want to move the Viggen flight to an air start near waypoint 1 or later. I will test again myself without wind.

To anyone else who might download the mission, it's not quite ready for prime time. When it is, I'll post it to User Files along with a mission brief.

Thanks again, RagnarDa, for looking into this.

Paul

Floodgates DCS 2.5.miz

• 1 year later...