Help me understand locking the stick back during takeoff

pegg00

I truly dont understand it, whenever I attempt to lock the stick back during takeoff like Im supposed to, it just lifts off way to early and I lose control. If I dont lock the stick back I take off perfectly fine. Can someone explain what Im doing wrong/how to do it correctly? Please and thanks. I can link video if needed.

The pull back on the stick ought to be done in a slow roll, so as the airspeed comes alive ease off to neutral stick, i.e. don't keep it held back up your jumper else drama ensues.

It only takes a pull back to lock the tail-wheel, you don't need to keep it held all the way against the stop, to unlock it again you'd need to be some way forward of neutral, so you're okay.

Edited by ouPhrontis

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

the prop blast blows across the tail.

so when you blip the throttle during taxiing you can provide enough lift to the tail to drive the prop into the ground.

especially if there is also wind.

so you keep the stick back to keep the tail on the ground. just in case enough air to lift the tail comes along.

obviously the take off run provides enough air across the tail to solve all this so you only need stick back at the start of the run when you are sticking in the throttle.

you do the same in the spit. stick full back and right. when taxiing and start of run.

now whether you need to do it in DCS? probably not. but its a good habit.

My Rig: AM5 7950X, 32GB DDR5 6000, M2 SSD, EVGA 1080 Superclocked, Warthog Throttle and Stick, MFG Crosswinds, Oculus Rift.

I truly dont understand it, whenever I attempt to lock the stick back during takeoff like Im supposed to, it just lifts off way to early and I lose control. If I dont lock the stick back I take off perfectly fine. Can someone explain what Im doing wrong/how to do it correctly? Please and thanks. I can link video if needed.

Hold the stick back at the beginning of the take off roll, when your speed reaches around 70-90mph bring the stick neutral or slightly forward to bring the tail off the ground. If you leave it in the back position and you get above 100mph then the plane will lift off trying to climb, stall and lead to an ugly crash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Set the elevator three and a half notches nose down from the neutral position. Don’t use any flaps. Bring the tail up when the rudder takes effect. Then you decide when the plane lifts off.

TWC_SLAG

Win 10 64 bit, 2T Hard Drive, 1T SSD, 500GB SSD, ASUS Prime Z390 MB, Intel i9 9900 Coffee Lake 3.1mhz CPU, ASUS 2070 Super GPU, 32gb DDR4 Ram, Track IR5, 32” Gigabyte curved monitor, TM Warthog HOTAS, CH Pedals, Voice Attack, hp Reverb G2.

Set the elevator three and a half notches nose down from the neutral position. Don’t use any flaps. Bring the tail up when the rudder takes effect. Then you decide when the plane lifts off.

Yup, this step in particular is one of a few key steps that will improve your take-off, once the tail surfaces gain authority and you pick up the tail; you'll get a nice view of the remaining airstrip/runway and this'll help you in maintaining the center-line and you should have at this point enough airspeed to become airborne, then gear-up when there's no room to land ahead, clean up, then adjust the engine controls to respect the operating ranges on manifold pressure and engine speed, checks Ts and Ps regularly.

On flaps, by the book recommendations are flaps 20.

NATO - BF callsign: BLACKRAIN

2x X5675 hexacore CPUs for 24 cores | 72GB DDR3 ECC RAM 3 channel | GTX 1050Ti | 500GB SSD on PCIe lane | CH Products HOTAS | TrackIR5 | Win 7 64

Hold the stick back at the beginning of the take off roll, when your speed reaches around 70-90mph bring the stick neutral or slightly forward to bring the tail off the ground. If you leave it in the back position and you get above 100mph then the plane will lift off trying to climb, stall and lead to an ugly crash.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Mostly this!

You will find a little later that once you get the hang of taking off, you won't really even need to hold it back at all. I never lock the the tail wheel any more. I usually forget that it even works most of the time.

For take off, if you learn how to use the right rudder and wheel brakes (in extreme situations) when you first start to roll upon throttle up, the tail wheel can easily be left alone. Was this SOP back in the day? I can't say but most people who fly the Mustang that I know don't use the lock. The Spitfire has no tail wheel lock at all and it's squirlier than the P-51, so that should tell you that it isn't really a big deal when you get use to it.

If the damn video actually worked in DCS I would post a track for you.

Edited by Zimmerdylan

To clear things up a little, the tail wheel on the mustang does not lock in a straight line like some other tail dragger aircraft, its locked to the rudder.

Direct from the manual:

The tail wheel is steerable and full swiveling. When the control stick is in the neutral position or pulled back, the tail wheel is locked; in this position it is steerable 6° to the right or left through the use of the rudder pedals. With the control stick positioned forward of neutral, the tail wheel is unlocked for free swiveling action.

Steerable is the default position. If unlocked and needing to lock it up again, the tail wheel and rudder need to be in the same position for this to occur, though usually not an issue since it starts off that way and I rarely unlock it myself.

Regarding the flaps position, also from the manual:

Note, normal takeoff is performed with the flaps up. Flaps can be set to 15 - 20° down for a minimum-run takeoff.

Would only use flaps on takeoff in the mustang if it was in the upper third of its maximum weight, otherwise, really not needed. It will take off quite readily without them.

Edited by Shahdoh

1) Make sure you trim your plane correctly: +2-3 nose down trim depending on load, and rudder 5 degrees to the right.

2) Apply throttle gradually up to 55 inches with the stick held back all the way

3) As you gather speed your rudder will become effective, so you won't need to hold the stick back all the way, so ease it forward to its trimmed position (having a FFB stick helps), that is, slightly forward

4) The tail will come up, and you'll need to compensate with a little right rudder.

5) rotate at 120-130 mph depending on load, raise the gear and keep level gather flying speed.

6) at 160 mp you can start climbing.

PS: Flaps are not needed normally, but if you have drop tanks or bombs, it's recommended to lower them one notch.