Wheel Brakes when landing?

bunraku

I apply braking as needed. That said, I barely ever slam them fully down. Sometimes if I float a good ways before touchdown, I need to get more brake action going. This is true for any aircraft.

Realistically, you'd want to brake as lightly as practical but of course still meet the required stopping distance to make the runway exit you're planning for. This is of course to reduce brake fatigue and increase the lifetime of the brakes...

It's not much of a big deal here in DCS to slam the brakes on as it is in real life. Some much larger, heavier jets such as 747s and 777s actually can experience brake overheats fairly easily and potentially ruin tires by applying full braking for a landing when it isn't needed, especially when landing overweight.

So, braking...I'd say is "At pilot discretion."

• Like 1

It's unrealistic except in an emergency or very short field to apply full brake. Upon touchdown apply full speed brake and keep nose wheel off ground as long as possible. Once nose wheel on the ground brake lightly only if needed. See if you can avoid using the brake at all by using the above technique! Ohh, make sure your final approach is at the correct AoA so that your not coming in too fast.

• Like 1

Check out my 'real world'

video series

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I apply braking as needed. That said, I barely ever slam them fully down. Sometimes if I float a good ways before touchdown, I need to get more brake action going. This is true for any aircraft.

Realistically, you'd want to brake as lightly as practical but of course still meet the required stopping distance to make the runway exit you're planning for. This is of course to reduce brake fatigue and increase the lifetime of the brakes...

It's not much of a big deal here in DCS to slam the brakes on as it is in real life. Some much larger, heavier jets such as 747s and 777s actually can experience brake overheats fairly easily and potentially ruin tires by applying full braking for a landing when it isn't needed, especially when landing overweight.

So, braking...I'd say is "At pilot discretion."

Speedbrakes only until less than 80kts, then start dabbing at the brakes, unless it is a very short runway.

System spec: i9 9900K, Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra motherboard, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 RAM, Corsair M.2 NVMe 1Tb Boot SSD. Seagate 1Tb Hybrid mass storage SSD. ASUS RTX2080TI Dual OC, Thermaltake Flo Riing 360mm water pumper, EVGA 850G3 PSU. HP Reverb, TM Warthog, Crosswind pedals, Buttkicker Gamer 2.

"Hot Brakes" are a danger in real life as they can make tires explode. Obviously this puts the aircraft in jeopardy, but there is also a danger to ground crew if the tire cooks off after the jet gets back to the ramp. Fly a proper approach with your speed under control, use aerodynamic braking whenever possible, use your speed brakes and save your wheel brakes unnecessary wear and tear!

• Like 1

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

http://www.476vfightergroup.com/content.php

High Quality Aviation Photography For Personal Enjoyment And Editorial Use.

www.crosswindimages.com

Minimum run is 3-point attitude immediately and firm enough to feel anti-skid working with maximum speed brakes in the two-point attitude. Additionally I recommend stick back pressure to increase loading on the tires when doing so does not lift the nose wheel (85 kt?). Remember anti-skid will not function at very low speeds.

In cases where maximum braking is not needed, attitude braking or 3-point rolling should be used first to discard as much energy as possible prior to a single moderate brake application. Light constant braking should be avoided for heat and wear reasons. Remember the first 10 knots off 120 has 23 more times the kinetic energy of the last 10 and drag is helping the most early in the roll.

During normal landings, use all of the runway available to slow the aircraft to taxi speed. The greatest amount of aerodynamic braking and rolling friction are realized during the initial part of the landing roll. After touchdown, open speed brakes to 100% and apply wheel brakes as needed to attain a safe taxi speed. During normal operations, delaying the application of brakes until below 100 knots ground speed will normally prevent hot brakes.

Sample case landing run max effort is 1,500' (35klb, 15C, dry RCR) which from 120 knots touchdown is 0.42g average. Shedding for example 90 knots in 3,000' (mid-point to 1,000' from end) requires 0.12g average, quarter to a third as much as the maximum effort case. This 1/8g is apparently fairly typical of an automobile driver's braking.

Most landings will only require comfortable braking in the last 2000-3000' from speeds of 50-80 knots. Probably it is best to have a series of cross-check speeds vs. distances to go to recognize the need for braking early and to monitor it during the rollout. E.g. >100 by mid runway, >80 by 2000' or similar. Factor headwind. The black signs with white letters are helpful for this as are the touchdown markings for the opposite direction. Anticipate the relative braking effort by hot, high, heavy, fast, clean, and short. If one or more factors are present be extra cautious.