Getting back into old hobbies

Napoleon_996

So im finally getting back into some of the old hobbies i used to have. I used to play LO:MAC back between '07-'10, I remember them getting ready to release the A-10 and then i shipped off to the Navy and spent the next 6 years traveling and never having time to get into hobbies i had before that. I kept getting the DCS news letters to my emails and would read one every now and them to see what they were working on. After a few months of being out of the Navy, ive started getting back into some old hobbies like sim racing and now flight sims. Its shocking to see how far this has come since i played back in the old LOMAC days, and its almost to much to take in at one time figuring out where to start getting back into it.

Saying all that i was looking for a bit of advice and information on getting back into the swing of things. What are some of the jets people recommend that are some of the easier one to learn that are not the WW2 fighter, trying to get back into jets before the F/A 18 comes out. Also any good youtube videos on learning these planes. And of course what are some good servers i should be checking out.

Hi Napoleon_996,

If your going to get the F-18 when it comes out, then I would probably go the A-10C for similar systems, western switchology etc.

Start here with these manuals by Chuck, it will get you up to speed quickly, also use the inbuilt training for the A-10C for some more hands on, the training is installed and part of DCS 1.5, once the A-10C is purchased.

Then dig into the DCS manual and of course YouTube and this forum if you get stuck with something. Great downloads here by the 476th, tactics, checklist and much more.

has a heap of good videos on his channel and many more good video's out there, to many to list for the A-10C.

Oh, and the Su-33 is also fun with it's new improved flight dynamics, plus you get to land on the boat, it is an FC3 aircraft so it's quick to take up and have some fun with, when reading books gets to much.

Also Napoleon_996, what are you thinking getting back into this! Just kidding;)

Welcome back and have fun with it, don't let it stress you out to much.:thumbup:

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Thanks for the reply David. I will most likely pick up the A10-C, I garbed the L-39 Albatros as a learning platform and will move on to the A10-C from there. Still getting used to the 6dof and being able to find all the buttons and switches.

Chucks manuals are awesome and will for sure keep those as a reference, and I will check out bunyaps channel.

Thanks for the suggestions. :thumbup:

Hello,

I am surprised at how flight simming has become one of my favorite and longest-lived hobbies in my entire life. It started 50 years ago as it helped me learn to read and continues to this day in my retirement.

The L-39 is a wonderful plane, it is the only one I fly, but the English translated manual is quite difficult to learn from. Just keep that in mind if things seem strange.

Best of luck and enjoy,