Weird IP address!?

After port forwarding and assigning a static IP address to my PC, I get into DCS and try connect with IP, I can see a "[fe80::d5e7:6f4a:9879:9e63%9]:10308" for the IP address.

Why would my DCS use the IPv6 address rather than the typical IPv4? Should I disable the IPv6 or what?

Edited by strikers_blade

My systems:

Windows 10 64 bits

I7-8700k

32.0 GB RAM

500Gb SSD

Asus ROG 2080ti

HP Reverb

Windows 10 64 bits

I7-6820HQ CPU @ 2.70Ghz

32.0 GB RAM

500Gb SSD

Nvidia Quadro M4000M

TrackIR 5

After port forwarding and assigning a static IP address to my PC, I get into DCS and try connect with IP, I can see a "[fe80::d5e7:6f4a:9879:9e63%9]:10308" for the IP address.

Why would my DCS use the IPv6 address rather than the typical IPv4? Should I disable the IPv6 or what?

If you're playing on the same LAN of server, you can see your server in the server list only using ipv6 ( both server and client ).

Any other people joining the server will use the IPv4 instead.

It's safe ( and i suggest to do ) disable the IPv6 from server. Doesn't make change for the people joining you by internet, it's just a metter of your local PC that you have to connect by IP to the server rather then browse the list, using the static IP address that you have put on the server.

:thumbup:

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

Awesome, thank you very much for the answer sir :)

If you're playing on the same LAN of server, you can see your server in the server list only using ipv6 ( both server and client ).

Any other people joining the server will use the IPv4 instead.

It's safe ( and i suggest to do ) disable the IPv6 from server. Doesn't make change for the people joining you by internet, it's just a metter of your local PC that you have to connect by IP to the server rather then browse the list, using the static IP address that you have put on the server.

:thumbup:

My systems:

Windows 10 64 bits

I7-8700k

32.0 GB RAM

500Gb SSD

Asus ROG 2080ti

HP Reverb

Windows 10 64 bits

I7-6820HQ CPU @ 2.70Ghz

32.0 GB RAM

500Gb SSD

Nvidia Quadro M4000M

TrackIR 5

• 1 month later...

Does it matter? Mine shows the IPv6 when I connect but still works great...

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

Does it matter? Mine shows the IPv6 when I connect but still works great...

DCS is claimed to works both on IPv4 and IPv6 simultaneously, even if there is no side effects reported, I prefer to use the IPv4 since is the same protocol used by all other clients, so I'm virtually in the same condition of other players, if Operating System start to do some "restriction" on number of connection or something like that, I can notice from my local machine as well.

it is certainly not required, it's just a personal choice.

FlighRIG => CPU: RyZen 5900x | RAM: 64GB Corsair 3000Mhz | GPU: nVIDIA RTX 4090 FE | OS Storage: SSD NVMe Samsung 850 Pro 512GB, DCS Storage: SSD NVMe Sabrent 1TB | Device: Multipurpose-UFC, VirPil T-50, TM WARTHOG Throttle, TrackHat, MFD Cougar with screen.

Our Servers => [ITA] Banshee | Krasnodar - PvE | PersianConquest PvE Live Map&Stats | Syria Liberation PvE Conquest

Support us on twitch subscribing with amazon prime account linked, it's free!

Yeah, internal to my LAN I connect with IPv6, but all my friends connect via IPv4 externally, we have no issues playing on the server at the same time. Works great!

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2