RADAR and framerate issues

Shibbyland

Please provide a track from the stable release, so that we can send it to ED

Attached is the track. My specs are as follows:

Intel Core i9 7920X @ 2.90GHz

RAM 64.0GB

Graphics NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070

In the track I've flown low level with radar on. You can see the frame rate drop clearly. I've also flown low level with radar off and you can see the frame rate go up with smooth frames all around. I've then flown jumping back and forth with radar on, radar off and you can see the switch in frame rate.

Hope this helps.

Mig-21BisRadarBugTest.trk

Edited by enigma6584

I have also noticed same issue. Same problem in Jf-17 and Mirage also(ground radar on and being close to ground). I have downgraded to Nvidia driver 441.87 due to SA Page in Hornet had Massive FPS drop in earlier Open Beta. Should I downgrade Nvidia driver again.

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

Can confirm that this is related to Nvidia. I just tested on my own RX 5700, and I saw no unusual drop in frame rates.

I do lose FPS in the Mirage at low altitude, but I think that's due to the old radar altimeter bug, not the radar. Turning the radar on silent does nothing to mitigate that.

Hmm never ever noticed any slowdown with the M2000 radar. I always thought this was related purely to ground clutter display on the Mig21 radar (or maybe other radars too). The M2000 doesnt show ground clutter though. Also the F5 does display ground clutter but has no fps issue. I initially thought the Mig21 radar was fixed in the latest patch but its still doing the slow down, just maybe to a slightly lower extent. Still really bad though. I guess I'll have to try rolling back drivers

I do lose FPS in the Mirage at low altitude, but I think that's due to the old radar altimeter bug, not the radar. Turning the radar on silent does nothing to mitigate that.

Yes, you are correct. Now I remember that was the issue with the Mirage-2000C. I also remember the quick fix was to turn the altimeter off or something for a few minutes start it back up later IIRC but not sure.

Hmm never ever noticed any slowdown with the M2000 radar. I always thought this was related purely to ground clutter display on the Mig21 radar (or maybe other radars too). The M2000 doesnt show ground clutter though. Also the F5 does display ground clutter but has no fps issue. I initially thought the Mig21 radar was fixed in the latest patch but its still doing the slow down, just maybe to a slightly lower extent. Still really bad though. I guess I'll have to try rolling back drivers

See answer above. I was thinking about the radar altimeter bug in the M-2000C.

The update to the MiG-21 released today was pretty great! I really enjoy the new afterburner effects and over wing vapor effects. However, the RADAR issue has not been fixed. I am also experiencing about 50% FPS loss when the RADAR is turned on and any portion happens to be pointing at the ground. Hope this gets fixed soon.

i7-8700k OC to 5.1GHz, Sound BlasterX AE-5, Creative Sound BlasterX H7 Tournament Edition, Asus ROG Maximus X Code

Corsair Dominator DDR4 32GB 3200MHz, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid, Acer Predator XB271HU WQHD IPS Monitor, Logitech G510S, Anker 8000DPI Gaming Mouse, HOTAS Warthog, Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals, Track IR 5, Windows 10 Professional, https://www.youtube.com/c/iflyflightsims

The update to the MiG-21 released today was pretty great! I really enjoy the new afterburner effects and over wing vapor effects. However, the RADAR issue has not been fixed. I am also experiencing about 50% FPS loss when the RADAR is turned on and any portion happens to be pointing at the ground. Hope this gets fixed soon.

It may be out of their hands. I'm using older nvidia drivers and don't have that issue anymore.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

Not sure if this is already known, but as I was doing some testing, it appears that there's some weirdness with the GPU/CPU utilization when the radar is turned on. My GPU drops from 95%+ down to <30% utilization when the radar is flipped from STBY to ON. At the same time, core 16 on my CPU jumps up in utilization near 90-100%, and both appear to have some oscillations in % usage. I can even hear it as the GPU fan ramps down as the radar is turned on.

Not sure exactly what this is indicating, but Hopefully this helps with troubleshooting, whether ED or 3rd party dev.

Mig-21 Radar Bug.trk

2061153373_Mig-21RadarBugPerf.thumb.png.a81d41ea44b29787bf8258de1f72e85d.png

Same here. The MiG-21 is not usable like that.

If you're on an nVidia chipset, try downgrading to 442.19 drivers. It solved it for me. As far as temporary solutions, it isn't the worst.

Reformers hate him! This one weird trick found by a bush pilot will make gunfighter obsessed old farts angry at your multi-role carrier deck line up!

I don't know if anybody has said it but I was doing experiments with RADAR, and it seems Turning on Ground clutter filter, makes FPS go up than after some time continuously flying close to ground again FPS start droping. Turning off radar and Ground clutter filter and then turning on fix the issue. I'll try providing video, since trackfile would'nt be useful

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's really pronounced in VR

Ryzen 7 3800x - 32G DDR4 3400Mhz - RTX 2070 - M.2 1TB - Saitek x52 - Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals - Oculus Rift - 2 lap cats

Modules: FC3, Mirage 2000, AJS37 Viggen, AV-8B, MIG-21bis, MIG-19P, Mig-15, F5-E3, F-86F, A-4, F-14, A-10C, JF-17