How to track a moving unit with TGP ?

hanab

This issue occur on stable and last OB. In PTRK mode, it is impossible to track a moving unit, the TDC not move. It is a bugs or TGP is no longer able to track a convoy ?

You need to put the crosshair on the unit BEFORE switching to PTRK. When the crosshair is on the unit you can then switch to PTRK to initiate point tracking.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg

You need to put the crosshair on the unit BEFORE switching to PTRK. When the crosshair is on the unit you can then switch to PTRK to initiate point tracking.

which is difficult because the sensor select switch first switches to area track and only at the second activation it switches to point track. During that time - however short it is - the reticle can not be moved.

(I am starting to understand and appreciate the comments on how awesome it was that the pilot got a TPOD lock on that fast moving UFO - you know, the video that was recently unclassified by the US)

I hope PTRK is still WIP and this is only a workaround, but not the desired workflow. PTRK is very unhandy at the moment. :(

[Modules] A-10C, A-10C II, AH-64D, F-14A/B, F-16C, F/A-18C, FC3, Ka-50, P-51D, UH-1H, CA, SC
[Maps] PG, NTTR, Normandy, Sinai, Syria, TC

[OS] Windows 11 Pro
[PC] MSI Pro Z790-A, i9-13900K, 64 GB DDR5-5200, RTX 4090 24 GB GDDR6X, 2 x SSD 990 PRO 2 TB (M.2), Corsair 5000D Airflow, HX1500i, H150i RGB Elite, Acer X28, TM HOTAS Warthog (Grip@WarBRD Base), MS SW FFB2, Thrustmaster TFRP, TrackIR 5 & TrackClip Pro
[Checklists] A-10C, F-16C, F/A-18C, AH-64D, Ka-50, UH-1H

which is difficult because the sensor select switch first switches to area track and only at the second activation it switches to point track. During that time - however short it is - the reticle can not be moved.

(I am starting to understand and appreciate the comments on how awesome it was that the pilot got a TPOD lock on that fast moving UFO - you know, the video that was recently unclassified by the US)

Was that even a pilot? I thought it was a Wizzo who achieved that, as it is indeed quiet tricky to do.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

Tornado3 small.jpg

Ok thanks

But it is impossible to move the tgp in ptrk mode ? In order to choose a unit in a convoy (before it was possible)

I think it is not very handy too, perhaps this function is still WIP.

Ok thanks

But it is impossible to move the tgp in ptrk mode ? In order to choose a unit in a convoy (before it was possible)

I think it is not very handy too, perhaps this function is still WIP.

It is intended as Wags explained here:

Tornado3 small.jpg

so.. this is not a bug ??

for god sake, why make this so unhandy ?

it was ok before .. now its almost impossible point track a moving target in a real battle situation, plus consider most people dont have a real F18 cockpit at home, and, for example, i'm using a single hatswitch to look around, move TGP ecc, i was perfectly able to use TGP before that, now i cant track anything moving !

slew in normal operation mode a little bit towards of a moving target.

then press sensor switch twice to PTRK.

the moving target will auto locked when come in the near of the square.

the trick is auto locking ...

try it !

too much ...

so.. this is not a bug ??

Yes, apparently that is how it works in the real yet. Before the recent update we had a simplified process in DCS, that was not true to real life.

for god sake, why make this so unhandy ?

Coming from the A-10C and the F-16 I often wonder about that when flying the Hornet, as many of its functions are very unintuitive and cumbersome to use, compared to the F-16 or A-10C.

Edited by QuiGon

Tornado3 small.jpg

tried every possible way. it will lock just in CCD, while never in TV.

can someone show a video or something of it locking in TV ?

anyway seems really nosense cumbersome, be it real or not. why for god sake would not be possible slew it. mah.

Edited by DLEGION

I have tried many times,it is really difficult to lock the moving targe,but when i have locked the moving unite, i zoom in or out,it will lost track,make me really mad..

A-10C Warthog,Flaming Cliffs 3,F-16C VIPER,F/A-18C HORNET,Super Carrier,AV-8B Night Attack V/STOL,Mi-8MTV2 Magnificent Eight,Black Shark 2,SA342 Gazelle,UH-1H Huey,Persian Gulf Map,Combined Arms

Intel i7-14700KF| Colorful iGame GeForce RTX 2070 AD Special OC GDDR6 8G | Acer PREDATOR 32g DDR5 6000MHZ | MSI PRO Z790A-MAX | Kingston KC3000 1T SSD M.2 | ST 12T HDD 7200RPM | AOC 2790PQU 27'' 4K |Thrustmaster Hotas Warthog PC

if that is how it works in real life, ok...fine, … but i really hope there will be an option to use it "old simple style" , because not everyone has a warthog and VR, i use a hotasX with just 1 hatswitch to control head movement, zoom and all the plane features, and i was able to use TGP, but now its really impossible to lock a moving target in a column, especially in real battle situation (wags Always show one simple task in the perfect training condition, ok, but when you're already busy with many things, this is unbearable).

its not to destroy realism, but we have to realize we're not in the real cockpit of an F18 too.

Yes, apparently that is how it works in the real yet. Before the recent update we had a simplified process in DCS, that was not true to real life.

Coming from the A-10C and the F-16 I often wonder about that when flying the Hornet, as many of its functions are very unintuitive and cumbersome to use, compared to the F-16 or A-10C.

It's because both of those aircraft have an extra Hotas hat TMS, the hornet, does not so handling targets is cumbersome because the functionality has to be there with less buttons. Same thing with WCS switch versus weapon cycling with one button in those aircraft.

The harrier is the same way it's Hotas scheme is confusing as is the way it handles system targets vs TPOD. Lots of double clicks and mode dependant functionality. The F-16 has the best set up IMO

Edited by Wizard_03

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

if that is how it works in real life, ok...fine, … but i really hope there will be an option to use it "old simple style" , because not everyone has a warthog and VR, i use a hotasX with just 1 hatswitch to control head movement, zoom and all the plane features, and i was able to use TGP, but now its really impossible to lock a moving target in a column, especially in real battle situation (wags Always show one simple task in the perfect training condition, ok, but when you're already busy with many things, this is unbearable).

its not to destroy realism, but we have to realize we're not in the real cockpit of an F18 too.

In this case , DCS World isn't for you :music_whistling:

MSI Z97 Gaming 5 - Intel I7 4790K - Artic cooling freezer 7 pro rev 2 - GSKILL 32 Go - SSD Crucial M5 120 go - SSD Crucial 2To - HDD western digital caviar blue 1 TO - Gigabyte GTX 1070 Gaming G1 - Windows 10 home 64 bits

eh maybe i'm poor and i does not deserve DCS, thanks for pointing out.

anyway i'm curious to hear a logical reason to complicate real pilots life for no technical reason.

good luck correcting laser on-the-fly while bombs were already on theyr way like before.

I don't think the tpod is done, they still got work on it, its the spanish version for now, we will get ATFLIR later on. (so they said!)

Anyways, to track a moving target do area track then point travck when target is on the spot, it will follow it, just takes a little practice.

I don't think the tpod is done, they still got work on it, its the spanish version for now, we will get ATFLIR later on. (so they said!)

Anyways, to track a moving target do area track then point travck when target is on the spot, it will follow it, just takes a little practice.

True enough. The only annoyance is if you have to cycle back round the track modes to reframe then the pod seems to jump back to where you first started (in the test scenarios i've done I used a waypoint to initially fix the pod position and then slewed to the tank i'm targeting, and it always slews back to the waypoint spot when you cycle the modes to allow manual slewing again).

Was that even a pilot? I thought it was a Wizzo who achieved that, as it is indeed quiet tricky to do.

WSO was following the UFO, and that was the tricky part. To get the tracking was not as the system search the contrast from the whole FOV and then narrows it down to the strongest contrast it can find at middle of it. Performing few different modes to separate background and moving object.

Watching that video shows well that how the contrast detection systems performs the object search when properly done to use automation.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

True enough. The only annoyance is if you have to cycle back round the track modes to reframe then the pod seems to jump back to where you first started (in the test scenarios i've done I used a waypoint to initially fix the pod position and then slewed to the tank i'm targeting, and it always slews back to the waypoint spot when you cycle the modes to allow manual slewing again).

As soon as you area track near the tank designate that point quickly so it doesn't go back to the waypoint, then point track the tank designate again for the laser or mav. The pod will always designate to the last designated spot.

As soon as you area track near the tank designate that point quickly so it doesn't go back to the waypoint, then point track the tank designate again for the laser or mav. The pod will always designate to the last designated spot.

Cheers, i'll give that a try.