Channel Map FPS Question

Ercoupe

So, how does it run? I can run the Normandy map with no issues, but this is a whole lot more detailed. I just don't want to buy it, and then not even be able to use it!

Are you seeing a major FPS drop? Thanks for reading.

Havent flown over it yet, but the instant action jug mission cold start it is definitely more taxing. Granted i am in vr and yes this map will be optimized as it goes so don't have a clue to your setup but if its not great i would wait.

Intel 8700k @5ghz, 32gb ram, 1080ti, Rift S

Kind of thought so. I don't mind flying over the Normandy and Caucuses map as I've been doing, I suppose. And yeah, my rig isn't great. Guess I'm gonna head over to the store and hit the buy button on that Jug. Thanks.

I only did the instant action free flight (in a Spitfire, not P-47, since the Spit is the one I normally fly)... Not VR, 27" 1440 monitor, and I was getting 70-80 FPS pretty steadily in most areas... upper 40s and 50s flying low over Dover, et al with an occasional stutter (get that occasionally anyway). 2080 Super, but rest of the system is older... i7-4790 and 16gb RAM

Not good performance at all...Worse performance than Normandy when released and pulling an RTX2080 down in to 40 - 50 fps at just 1920 x 1080 over built up areas. Other maps running perfectly at even 3000 x 1080 pixels. Why do these maps always look so 'clinical' too!

Intel Core i3 8350K 4GHz, MSI RTX 2080 Super, AS Rock Z370 Pro4 Motherboard, Samsung SSD, 32G DDR4 RAM, Windows 10 PRO 64 Bit

Rift-S, Tripple Samsung 27" C27F Display, Hotas Warthog, Saitek Pro Flight rudder pedals, EDtracker, Track IR.

Not great in VR. Low frame frames, high frame timing, lots of stutters

i7 10700k @4.8GHz | Aurora GTX 3080 | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Pro 1Tb x 3 | Corsair 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

HP Reverb G2 | Vkb Gunfighter II MCG Pro Stick | Virpil T-50CM Throttle | MFG Crosswind Pedals | Custom built collective | 150 button custom cockpit with 3 x Cougar MFDs

I reported that the CHANNEL MAP has half the FPS then the NEVADA MAP in VR.

New system:I9-9900KS, Kingston 128 GB DDR4 3200Mhz, MSI RTX 4090, Corsair H150 Pro RGB, 2xSamsung 970 EVO 2Tb, 2xsamsung 970 EVO 1 TB, Scandisk m2 500 MB, 2 x Crucial 1 Tb, T16000M HOTAS, HP Reverb Professional 2, Corsair 750 Watt.

Old system:I7-4770K(OC 4.5Ghz), Kingston 24 GB DDR3 1600 Mhz,MSI RTX 2080(OC 2070 Mhz), 2 * 500 GB SSD, 3,5 TB HDD, 55' Samsung 3d tv, Trackir 5, Logitech HD Cam, T16000M HOTAS. All DCS modules, maps and campaigns:pilotfly:

How could you compare the map, with Normandy map?

Buildings, trees, ground textures, etc

Thank you

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

Not good performance in VR. Many stutters, FPS like 50% of Normandy'44 map.

This map will need better work and many optimalizations still. I hope ED will solved it.

Webmaster of http://www.yoyosims.pl

Yoyosimsbanner.gif

Win 10 64, i9-13900 KF, RTX  4090 24Gb OC, RAM 64Gb Corsair Vengeance LED OC@3600MHz,, 3xSSD+3xSSD M.2 NVMe, Predator XB271HU res.2560x1440 27'' G-sync, Sound Blaster Z + 5.1, TiR5, [MSFS, P3Dv5, DCS, RoF, Condor2, IL-2 CoD/BoX] VR fly only: Meta Quest Pro

How could you compare the map, with Normandy map?

Buildings, trees, ground textures, etc

Thank you

I think the ED team did a great job on the textures for the Channel map, it looks great, a lot of detail but it does of course have quite a hit on framerate. I have to think about dropping back to 1920 res and less graphic detail to run it less jerky.

1920 and dropping down to 2x MSAA (instead of 4) still gives me very poor performance on empty map when looking towards or flying over population centres. I have a pretty solid rig (1080ti, 5ghz, 32 gb ram, ssd).

Maybe they went a bit to far when they modelled the underwear and garden rubbish of every resident i south east England:) Hope to optimization (Which I am sure we will get down the line).

I tried the "Instant action" with the Spitfire on the Channel map, cold start.

It's simply impossible for me to do anything, if I turn my head the view barely follows, it's below 10 FPS, sometimes doesn't move for 1 second or more.

Starting in the air with the free flight instant mission was even worse, it would regularly freeze for ~10 seconds or so.

This map, like Normandy, requires a very high-end system. I bought it for support but I'll just ignore it until I can buy a new PC.

Edited by Redglyph

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

I tried Instant action with the P-47 and P-51 on the Channel map.

In VR, they're not flyable, view barely follows my head as well. I have a decent rig, no issues with any other map.

I did try the Jug in the Normandy map. Flew perfectly.

Normandy Map was a total waste of money. Poorly optimised and awful visuals. This map is beautiful in comparison so much praise deserved ... but ... in VR it's completely unplayable!

My specs are i9-9900K @ 5GHz, 32 Gb DDR4 RAM, Ge Force GTX 1080 Ti, 1 Tb SSD, running an HP Reverb Pro on Reprojection with DCS settings which always gives me a comfortable 45 fps with the exception of SC on deck (around 38 fps)

With the same settings, on the Channel map on the ground at Manston in the Cold Start Instant Action mission, I'm getting between 30-33 fps with so many micro stutters. Planes flying overhead are a slideshow and unfortunately it gets worse with engine running. Terrible ghosting and stuttering through the spinning prop.

FPS in the air marginally better (at around 38 fps) but still the same volume of those awful micro stutters (about every 20 seconds), but flying inland and particularly over built up areas, fps drops to around 33.

Hopefully this can get optimised for VR ... In the mean time it's certainly one to purchase (to help development) but to avoid flying on.

i9 14900K - ROG Maximus Z790 Hero - GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4090 - 64GB Kingston Fury Beast DDR5 XMP - Samsung 4TB SSD - Pimax Crystal - Thrustmaster Warthog Throttle & Joystick - VirPil AH-64D Grip - Thrustmaster TPR Pendular Rudder Pedals 

Thanks, guys

One last question : does it have seasons, like the Caucasus map ?

I9 12900k@ 5 GHz | 32 GB DDR4 | Asus ROG  Strix Z690-A Gaming Wifi d4| RTX 3090 | 6 TB SSD + 8 TB HDD | 4K Samsung Q90R 55" | VKB MK III PRO L | Virpil Throttle MONGOOST-50 | MFG Crosswind | TrackIR5

If the low framerates are also a problem without VR. Who shall fly on this map yet?

I'm sure it will be optimized in time, like it was for Normandy, it's just WIP now.

System specs: Win7 x64 | CPU: i7-4770K | RAM: 16 GB | GPU: GTX 980 Ti 6 GB | Thrustmaster HOTAS | MFG rudder pedals | SATA3 SSD | TrackIR

"I only did the instant action free flight (in a Spitfire, not P-47, since the Spit is the one I normally fly)... Not VR, 27" 1440 monitor, and I was getting 70-80 FPS pretty steadily in most areas... upper 40s and 50s flying low over Dover, et al with an occasional stutter (get that occasionally anyway). 2080 Super, but rest of the system is older... i7-4790 and 16gb RAM"

Well, now, this post makes me think I may be able to run this. Have a similar system. An i7-4700Q with 20 GB of RAMM. I'm also using an external ssd which DCS seems to love. It seems that people with VR are the ones running into the fps issues.

Edited by Ercoupe

"This map, like Normandy, requires a very high-end system. I bought it for support but I'll just ignore it until I can buy a new PC."

Red, I can't agree with you about Normandy. My laptop is a seven year old AZUS. I run the Normandy map beautifully. I even fly the payware Mustang and Spit campaigns.

"This map, like Normandy, requires a very high-end system. I bought it for support but I'll just ignore it until I can buy a new PC."

Red, I can't agree with you about Normandy. My laptop is a seven year old AZUS. I run the Normandy map beautifully. I even fly the payware Mustang and Spit campaigns.

I've already seen that results vary widely between "not-so-new" systems. I suppose that I must tune most graphics features down. I tried to tweak some of them but it wasn't convincing for the performances, or quite ugly to see ;)

I could fly on this map when it was first released, and for a while after that, but since the latest "optimizations", it's near impossible for me to take off or land at most of the airfields, because of freezes (loading details, texture and objects probably) - the map has acquired more content since the beginning. Same with low-level flying, I suppose due to the collision detection system.

With more planes, like some of the missions available with the Spitfire, it's crawling and in some cases I had to kill the process to regain control of the PC. So the campaigns are definitely out of reach.

Turning all sliders down and having a low-res sim doesn't interest me when Caucasus and Nevada (or other sims) have good performances, so I prefer to wait until I change my whole system.

"Turning all sliders down and having a low-res sim doesn't interest me"

Red, does it look as though I have all of my sliders turned down? And I even have shadows on and MSAA X 2. Doesn't look ugly and low res to me.

Screen_200604_133148.thumb.png.cb5fdbe56282e51485887c656f5c096f.png

I think the map is great, but very poor at the moment in VR, however that is what EA is about, all pulling in the same direction to speed up improvements. Good job ED

Desktop PC:

Intel i7 14700K, MSI Z790 MAG Tomahawk MOBO, 64Gb RAM , GPU Nvidia RTX 3080ti

Windows 11, VPC joystick, Crosswind rudder peddles, HP Reverb G2, VPC Collective, DOF Reality H2, Gametrix seat, WinWing panels.