Very poorly visible HUD and HMD.

Padonis

I noticed this too, I can barely see anything on the displays in the F18 if there's sun behind the plane. ah well.

This is correct and noted in my picture in post #23 above. When the sun is elsewhere, the ddi's are dimmer but decent. However, I MUCH prefer the option (before today's update) to crank the brightness when the sun factors in. The symbology on my screenshot looks as if there's a strange shadow-texture visible without the light shining.

The only benefit I can see to lighting in this latest update is the sphere of the moon itself... a cool improvement. Otherwise, lighting took another step backwards... especially at night.

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Just a lazy +1 here. Just flew a 7 AM Hornet mission in the summer Caucasus and could barely see the HUD or DDIs. The environment was super washed out and low-contrast, too - almost like a super-bright haze or fog.

i7-7700K @ 4.9Ghz | 16Gb DDR4 @ 3200Mhz | MSI Z270 Gaming M7 | MSI GeForce GTX 1080ti Gaming X | Win 10 Home | Thrustmaster Warthog | MFG Crosswind pedals | Oculus Rift S

The environment was super washed out and low-contrast, too - almost like a super-bright haze or fog.

This is ESPECIALLY true at night. To ease the effect, I go in to Nvidia control panel's desktop color settings and set Brightness to 50, contrast to 100, and gamma to about 1.25. This makes night look a lot better, but still has a strange affect on several things, creating bad color banding at dawn/dusk and making other lighting effects look a bit strange. If you use DCS at night (not engaging an Nvidia profile such as I described above) with any in game gamma setting higher than about 1.3, night time has that terrible, washed out, low-contrast, hazy look that you're talking about. Not too mention it is way too bright. At 2am with no moon, I can see everything at 1.8 gamma unless I employ my 50/100/1.25 Nvidia settings.

i7 8700K @ Stock - Win10 64 - 32 RAM - RTX 3080 12gb OC - 55 inch 4k Display

Has this been reported as a bug yet?

It’s particularly bad in VR.

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

+1 Something about the lighting in the new patch isn’t right. I had difficulty reading the front panel and caution lights in the Tomcat, and the HUD and other cockpit lights seem difficult to see with the new lighting. The exterior lighting seems too bright.

i7-8700k OC to 5.1GHz, Sound BlasterX AE-5, Creative Sound BlasterX H7 Tournament Edition, Asus ROG Maximus X Code

Corsair Dominator DDR4 32GB 3200MHz, EVGA RTX 3080Ti FTW3 Ultra Hybrid, Acer Predator XB271HU WQHD IPS Monitor, Logitech G510S, Anker 8000DPI Gaming Mouse, HOTAS Warthog, Thrustmaster TFRP Pedals, Track IR 5, Windows 10 Professional, https://www.youtube.com/c/iflyflightsims

The environment was super washed out and low-contrast, too - almost like a super-bright haze or fog.

Well that's the usual DCS everfog, you can never really get rid of it. But it appears to me as well it became foggier in this version.

Really hoping for the weather and humidity overhaul here, but it wouldn't hurt if there was much less on a CAVOK day until that hits.

dcsdashie-hb-ed.jpg

Just need to look at Wags' Hornet TPOD update video from yesterday to see a washed out NTTR!

Intel i7 12700K · MSI Gaming X Trio RTX 4090 · ASUS ROG STRIX Z690-A Wi-Fi · MSI 32" MPG321UR QD · Samsung 970 500Gb M.2 NVMe · 2 x Samsung 850 Evo 1Tb · 2Tb HDD · 32Gb Corsair Vengance 3000MHz DDR4 · Windows 11 · Thrustmaster TPR Pedals · Tobii Eye Tracker 5 · Thrustmaster F/A-18 Hornet Grip · Virpil MongoosT-50CM3 Base · Virpil Throttle MT-50 CM3 · Virpil Alpha Prime Grip · Virpil Control Panel 2 · Thrustmaster F-16 MFDs · HTC Vive Pro 2 · Total Controls Multifunction Button Box

Totally agree. I just reverted to the previous version of 2.5.6.

Doc or anyone.

I really want to give this patch a go to try the A2G radar. But before I do. How do I revert back to a previous build?

Don’t want to be left with an unflyable sim if it’s going to take time for a hotfix

Doc or anyone.

I really want to give this patch a go to try the A2G radar. But before I do. How do I revert back to a previous build?

Don’t want to be left with an unflyable sim if it’s going to take time for a hotfix

The simplest way is to use Skatezilla's indispensible utility here https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=160053

Doc or anyone.

Hi,

Open up the command tool in Windows, then switch to your DCS/bin folder (e.g. "cd \Games\DCS\bin" or whatever your folders are called), then type either of the following:

DCS_Updater.exe update 2.5.6.49798@openbeta

OR

DCS_Updater.exe update @release

The first one brings you back to the previous version of open beta (which is what I did). The second one reverts you from open beta to stable (which is the same as the open beta 2.5.6.49798 ).

Hope this helps.

Doc

Edited by Doc3908

+1 Glad to know it's not just me. I spent an hour last night going through all my monitor calibration settings to make sure I had not inadvertantly changed something. In the end I turned the gamma setting on DCS down from the recommended value but it's a work-around not a fix.

The problem is particularly acute for the AOA indexer and the caution and warning panel in the A-10c and the AOA indexer in the A-4E. They are almost unuseably in this version.

As a general comment, that I can't quantify, I find the overall lighting to be much brighter and there seems to be a lot more "haze" when looking towards the sun - giving everything a more washed out appearance.

Hopes this helps.

Very poorly visible HUD and HMD.

Hi,

Open up the command tool in Windows, then switch to your DCS/bin folder (e.g. "cd \Games\DCS\bin" or whatever your folders are called), then type either of the following:

DCS_Updater.exe update 2.5.6.49798@openbeta

OR

DCS_Updater.exe update @release

The first one brings you back to the previous version of open beta (which is what I did). The second one reverts you from open beta to stable (which is the same as the open beta 2.5.6.49798 ).

Hope this helps.

Doc

Thanks Doc.

After reading the many reports of the bug. I’ve decided to wait until there’s a fix.

But I’m going to take a look at the DCS GUI utility tool by Skatezilla for future problems

Edited by Alligin

To be fair, I think some things look more realistic now. The environment lighting feels more natural both day and night. I also noticed the degraded visibility, maybe toning the haze down could help.

Then there are the synthetic lights: MFDs, indicator lights etc. Those are hit and miss depending on aircraft. For example Harrier night time MFD map display is almost blinding white, you cannot make any details from it, while other indicator lights were fine. On the other hand in MiG-19 all lightbulb indicator lights look so dull as if they were made of colored paper, definitely need lot of tuning.

My point here is that there are so many interdependent variables that need tuning after any change in global lighting. I wish the critic is constructive pointing out the things needing tuning and not just judging all development.

P.S. I think bloom is definitely better than before. It used to be too strong for simple indicator lights. Now it is noticeable for dim lights only in the dark, and for very bright sun reflections during daytime.

Edit: I am using gamma 1.6 and HP Reverb HMD.

Edited by Unclezam