Interim PC Upgrade

Hi, I am after some guidance or advice on what upgrade would be best to get a few more FPS from my outdated machine which is 6/7 years old. I am using Oculus Rift and only achieve 21 FPS when on the deck of the Super Carrier, Persian Gulf, with five other AI planes and three static objects; that is with all settings at the recommended VR settings. With everything at low or off I achieve 34 FPS. I will be purchasing a new top end machine in 18 months so I am just after something help while I'm saving for the new PC.

My PC specs are as follows:

i7 4770K 3.5 OC to 3.9 GHZ,

16GB DDR3 RAM 2400,

GTX Titan overclocked.

My options are: buy a second Titan for SLI (£200), Increase the DRAM to 32GB with 16GB 2400 DDR 3 Ram (£80) or replace currant RAM with 32GB of 2800 DDR3 RAM (£190). I would just like some opinions on which, if any, of those options will have a meaningful effect on my FPS or indeed any other useful suggestions on this subject.

Thank you.

The titan is about the same performance as a GTX-980 ... probably is better to sell it on the 2nd hand market and purchase a RTX-2060 instead. The GPU is the weakest link on your rig, so I would focus on that.

For work: iMac mid-2010 of 27" - Core i7 870 - 6 GB DDR3 1333 MHz - ATI HD5670 - SSD 256 GB - HDD 2 TB - macOS High Sierra

For Gaming: 34" Monitor - Ryzen 3600X - 32 GB DDR4 2400 - nVidia GTX1070ti - SSD 1.25 TB - HDD 10 TB - Win10 Pro - TM HOTAS Cougar - Oculus Rift CV1

Mobile: iPad Pro 12.9" of 256 GB

There are not many games that support SLI (Including DCS)

There are no VR infrastructure / API's to utilize SLI today. (Oculus rift software)

For VR I recommend the 2070 super minimum

You can go better (2080 super.etc) than later upgrade your

. So it can really push that card, you are limited at DDR3 etc. It will hold these cards back a little at 10 to 20% etc.

The only reason to wait is NVIDIA might be releasing their new GPU's.

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

Thank you. Ive looked at some prices for the RTX 2060/2070 and as you say with the sale of my Titan this looks like the way ahead.

I was only looking at the SLI option because I found some advice online that indicated that this could be a cheaper solution to my problem.

Thank you both for taking the time to reply to my post.

Edited by Wayhands

You can answer your own question best by running some tests. Underclock your cpu, gpu and ram one by one, and see if it makes a big difference or not. If it does, it means that part is a significant bottleneck in your system. If it makes (almost) no difference, then upgrading wont make a (big) difference either.

The amount of ram should have no real impact on your framerates, once everything is loaded. You can double check in task manager to see if there is a lot of disk activity going on, if there isnt, then you are not ram constrained. The speed of your ram I found to be surprisingly performance critical, but you can test that yourself, just underclock it.

Another data point is comparing performance to non VR. And possibly even setting display resolution ridiculously low (1024x768 or something). That should completely remove the GPU as bottleneck. If performance still sucks, then you know its something else.

That said, can anyone run supercarrier fluid in VR right now?

Hi, I am after some guidance or advice on what upgrade would be best to get a few more FPS from my outdated machine which is 6/7 years old. I am using Oculus Rift and only achieve 21 FPS when on the deck of the Super Carrier, Persian Gulf, with five other AI planes and three static objects; that is with all settings at the recommended VR settings. With everything at low or off I achieve 34 FPS. I will be purchasing a new top end machine in 18 months so I am just after something help while I'm saving for the new PC.

My PC specs are as follows:

i7 4770K 3.5 OC to 3.9 GHZ,

16GB DDR3 RAM 2400,

GTX Titan overclocked.

My options are: buy a second Titan for SLI (£200), Increase the DRAM to 32GB with 16GB 2400 DDR 3 Ram (£80) or replace currant RAM with 32GB of 2800 DDR3 RAM (£190). I would just like some opinions on which, if any, of those options will have a meaningful effect on my FPS or indeed any other useful suggestions on this subject.

Thank you.

I'm on a budget as well, but I want to play this particular game, so I have to respond to its requirements, and it's about GPU memory.

You will need an 8GB GPU to get the best of this game, not necessarily a top graphic card, I personally went for an MSI Radeon 5500 XT 8GB, nest I'll double my RAM, from 16 BG to 32.

Win 11Pro. Corsair RM1000X PSU. ASUS TUF Gaming X570-PLUS [WI-FI], AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 3D, Sapphire Radeon RX 7900 XTX Nitro+ Vapor-X 24GB GDDR6. 32 GB G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series (4 x 8GB) RAM Cl14 DDR4 3600. Thrustmaster HOTAS WARTHOG Thrustmaster. TWCS Throttle. PICO 4 256GB.

WARNING: Message from AMD: Windows Automatic Update may have replaced their driver by one of their own. Check your drivers.

M-2000C. Mirage F1. F/A-18C Hornet. F-15C. F-5E Tiger II. MiG-29 "Fulcrum".  Avatar: Escadron de Chasse 3/3 Ardennes. Fly like a Maineyak.