[SET FLAPS TO HALF] Pitch up after take off

Demon214

New guy here. I am having a problem with the f-18, after I take off from land or the carrier the nose wants to go vertical and I have to push the stick all the way forward to keep it from going into a loop. Trim doesn't seem to work. I hit the FCS reset and that doesn't seem to work. I have to go inverted to go down and then roll out. Then after a few minutes it is better but I still have to push forward on the stick some to keep level flight. This does not happen when I do a air start, just when do a startup or ready on the ramp. So I must be missing something.

I have had this problem before the latest update.

Thanks in advance

As the title says, I find this if I try to take off without flaps. Try takeoff with half flaps. If you forget, you can slow below 250kts and bring flaps down, then uo again, and it works again.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D / Asus Crosshair VI Hero X370 / Corsair H110i / Sapphire Nitro+ 6800XT / 32Gb G.Skill TridentZ 3200 / Samsung 980 Pro M.2 / Virpil Warbrd base + VFX and TM grips / Virpil CM3 Throttle / Saitek Pro Combat pedals / Reverb G2

New guy here. I am having a problem with the f-18, after I take off from land or the carrier the nose wants to go vertical and I have to push the stick all the way forward to keep it from going into a loop. Trim doesn't seem to work. I hit the FCS reset and that doesn't seem to work. I have to go inverted to go down and then roll out. Then after a few minutes it is better but I still have to push forward on the stick some to keep level flight. This does not happen when I do a air start, just when do a startup or ready on the ramp. So I must be missing something.

Thanks in advance

Before your take off roll/cat shot, What is your indicated stab position on the FCS page? Also Did you perform the FCS ibit and set TO trim?

Edited by Wizard_03

DCS F/A-18C :sorcerer:

I’ve had this problem on occasion. Not sure what causes it. It was after I landed on the Carrier and tried to take back off. Outside of that I was fine.

That is a confirmed bug in flaps logic when you land, stop, and then try to take off again, short fix is too set auto flaps after you land then back down to half, before taking off again. But it’s a bug.

But I think the OP means it occurs on his/her initial take off...which I have never had happen to me.

You have to put the flaps to AUTO before reaching 250 knots. Passed this speed they will be set automatically to AUTO, hence the big pitch-up movement.

Actions after take-off, gear up, flaps to HALF then AUTO. Smooth flying.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

As the title says, I find this if I try to take off without flaps. Try takeoff with half flaps. If you forget, you can slow below 250kts and bring flaps down, then uo again, and it works again.

Thank you All.

The problem fixed, or should I say User error fixed.

It was my flaps setting. Once I put flaps to half then took off and raised gear and set flaps to Auto I no longer rocketed to the heavens.

Thank you All.

The problem fixed, or should I say User error fixed.

It was my flaps setting. Once I put flaps to half then took off and raised gear and set flaps to Auto I no longer rocketed to the heavens.

Glad you got it figured out!

I reported this as a bug a month or so ago and it was confirmed as not being a bug and expected behaviour!

Yeah, I call BS on that. There is no aircraft in the world that should uncontrollably pitch itself into a stall just because you take off with the flaps up. That would require an insanely forward CG/center of lift. Unless the FCS computer really commands that in the real jet, it's a hell of a bug.

Why? It’s a bug.

But correct procedure for the F-18 is half flaps for takeoff, regardless of weight. I’ve personally seen IRL hornets get airborne with flaps Auto but it’s always been airshow flights and the pilot has gone into a half Cuban straight from takeoff.

Proud owner of:

PointCTRL VR : Finger Trackers for VR -- Real Simulator : FSSB R3L Force Sensing Stick. -- Deltasim : Force Sensor WH Slew Upgrade -- Mach3Ti Ring : Real Flown Mach 3 SR-71 Titanium, made into an amazing ring.

My Fathers Aviation Memoirs: 50 Years of Flying Fun - From Hunter to Spitfire and back again.

Yeah, I call BS on that. There is no aircraft in the world that should uncontrollably pitch itself into a stall just because you take off with the flaps up. That would require an insanely forward CG/center of lift. Unless the FCS computer really commands that in the real jet, it's a hell of a bug.

You don’t fly the hornet the FCS does. The computer will try and give you what you ask for, even if it’s stupid. Pull back on the stick to rotate on take off roll without high lift surfaces helping control you and it makes sense that the huge stabilators have tremendously overwhelming authority.

But the real reason this happens is because when the flaps are set to auto the FCS is in flight mode NOT takeoff/landing mode, so none of the control surfaces are dampened, the computer gives you about as much authority as much as it can, in the pitch channel, making the aircraft very unstable at the slow speeds after takeoff.

So, any clues on why it does this?

Seems unnecessary to lower flap when taking off clean from a runway.

There’s a very good and necessary reason to follow all NATOPS procedures.

Thanks in advance

Sounds like to me you didn't follow the take off procedure correctly.

FCS Reset, then Flaps to auto, then FCS Bit test, after bit test flaps to half press take off trim.

" any failure you meet, is never a defeat; merely a set up for a greater come back, "  W Forbes

"Success is not final, failure is not fatal, it is the courage to continue that counts,"  Winston Churchill

" He who never changes his mind, never changes anything," 

MSI z690MPG DDR4 || i914900k|| ddr4-64gb PC3200 || MSI RTX 4070Ti|Game1300w|Win10x64| |turtle beach elite pro 5.1|| ViRpiL,T50cm2|| MFG Crosswinds|| VT50CM-plus rotor Throttle || G10 RGB EVGA Keyboard/MouseLogitech || PiMax Crystal VR || 32 Samsung||

Sounds like to me you didn't follow the take off procedure correctly.

FCS Reset, then Flaps to auto, then FCS Bit test, after bit test flaps to half press take off trim.

Yes it was MY mistake, I'm just an oId fart. I made a startup check list to use on my tablet that I use as a kneeboard and I missed adding set flaps to half. Now since I added this step everything is good.

I've seen in various checklists to set flaps to AUTO and then later they set it to 1/2 and I never quite knew why you'd bother until you said this - thanks! :).

Curiosity: does the current DCS modelling cause any impact if you had it in 1/2 rather than AUTO for the BIT TEST?

Why? It’s a bug.

But correct procedure for the F-18 is half flaps for takeoff, regardless of weight.

No, it's not a bug.

It's as you say in your second sentence, with particular reference to the terms you used (and I emphasized, as they are the core of the matter). :thumbup:

I won't say it better than Wizard_03 did:

You don’t fly the hornet the FCS does. The computer will try and give you what you ask for, even if it’s stupid... (omissis) There’s a very good and necessary reason to follow all NATOPS procedures.

BlueRaven.jpg

Nulla Dies Sine Linea