How is the Bf109 Module?

Nealius

There are several 109 pilots who have mentioned using the trim in order to pull out of dives, and in a few cases even in dogfights. No reason you couldnt do what you're talking about for real.

9./JG27

"If you can't hit anything, it's because you suck. If you get shot down, it's because you suck. You and me, we know we suck, and that makes it ok." - Worst person in all of DCS

"In the end, which will never come, we will all be satisifed... we must fight them on forum, we will fight them on reddit..." - Dunravin

I have trim and flaps set to my stick and throttle. very use

ful.. just don't go more than 10 deg. flaps above 500km

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

the rudder in the 109 is astonishingly ineffective.

if you stood beside one and saw how small the rudder really was, you would understand why..

We are Virtual Pilots, a growing International Squad of pilots, we fly Allies in WWII and Red Force in Korea and Modern combat. We are recruiting like minded people of all Nationalities and skill levels.

http://virtual-pilots.com/

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

if you stood beside one and saw how small the rudder really was, you would understand why..

As well as astonishing small, have you seen it in person? Ridiculously small, the whole aircraft is.

S!

yes, there is 1 a few meters next to my work. i can watch it every day.;) yes its small...but, it has a flettner rudder, which is i think not considered in the rudder forces(at least by the sounds of Yo-Yo's previous statements), and also because of the small surface, the force should also be smaller theoretically, and therefore should be possible to deflect more at similar speeds to a bigger rudder, given the connections between pedals and rudder are identical. and there is nothing special with the 109's.

of course a bigger rudder has a bigger effect at similar deflection to a smaller one. but as you mentioned, the whole 109 is small, not only the rudder. so the relative size of the rudder, is not much smaller than the 1 of the spitfire for example. the p51 has a huge rudder though!

Edited by birdstrike

Yep, the rudder is still small as well as the whole aircraft, but the engine isn't as it's torque either. So not any advantage, on the contrary it's the worst case scenario you would like, massive torque and no big enough controls to counter it.

So back on topic, an excellent rendition of the real deal IMO regardless of the dumb down of the most recent versions compared to first released one (same as every DCS warbird I have to say).

S!

P.S.: the Spitfire rudder is bigger by a bunch, and only later models had a bigger and reshaped one as I guess you know

Edited by Ala13_ManOWar

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

-- Major-General Frederick B. Maurice

The trouble is the trim wheel would be somewhat difficult to get to in certain instances, and would need to be shuttled aft several times to get to the desired trim setting.

how is the trimwheel difficult to reach? its just where your left arm is. the design is actually pretty clever thought out, as its next to the flaps wheel, so that you can easily adjust both at the same time. multiple pilot accounts talk about using trim...the only possible discrepancy i see between those statements and dcs is that most pilot accounts say, that only very little trim change was needed to get to the desired attitude...but thats a pretty vague and statement. not precise to either say its correct or not...

but one thing is for sure, to trim a plane is no cheat, thats usual business in any aircraft.

I'm only just learning the K-4. And I love the DCS rendition of it. Right now I have only a handful of flights under my belt. And I need to read the manual from start to finish. So I know there is much that I do not know about her. But, she is a very good bird. She can bite you for sure. But I love the 109. I'm not quite up to ACM in the bird yet though.

As far as the trim wheel goes, I usually do that with the mouse in my right hand and the stick in my left which is kind of a contortion thing for me as I have the stick on my right side. But it works.

https://youtu.be/-v1XWEkCan0

Fly with us on the DCS server "NAVAIR"

The server is up daily at various times. The usual server launch time is 1400Z.

The current server scenario has a little bit for everybody. We accommodate the free planes, helicopters, jets, and warbirds.

Airshow flying accommodated as well. Weather is dynamic.

Planning for some low-vis and night ops in the future.

Join our Discord to get the server password and find out about upcoming flights.

Discord

https://discord.gg/HJgbzVc

SRS equipped

We use SRS to communicate until Eagle Dynamics gets their in-game voice deployed. Guard channel on Discord if needed.

German Bird

Just want to say I just got this bird and I really love it already.

I've had a few flights and I am building up my airbase slowly with available hardware and have been chasing a spitfire around lately, my takeoffs are OK now (no peddles) so I use assistance to compensate. Landings are sometimes Ok and sometimes I break stuff but it's really challenging and I have new admiration for the pilots of those planes.

I've a read just a few books on the WWII aces and their short brilliant lives so it's pretty amazing to be able to have this experience with this sim.

I'm Really looking forward to further developments for this map and any new WWII planes. I am definitely going to get the FW 190 that's a given and if a Mosquito comes out that also. I'am an old hand from way back and this sim keeps me coming back for more again and again

prefetch

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

i7 7700K, Win-8.1(wufuc), DCSW OB, FC3, CA, PG-map, Syria-map, Normandy-map, WWII-assetspack, Bf 109 K-4, MiG-21bis, MiG-19P, Mi-8MTV2, BS2,

• 3 weeks later...
It’s missing wing mounted cannons so that’s about only complaint I have .
Yep, apparently it's not proven that they were operationally ever used in this model despite the manual talking about it.

S!

"I went into the British Army believing that if you want peace you must prepare for war. I believe now that if you prepare for war, you get war."

Who cares if it was operational, the dam bird was wired up for it but probably never used because they where getting bombed to shit by the allies. So I personally think it should be an option.

I7-8700 @5GHZ, 32GB 3000MHZ RAM, 1080TI, Rift S, ODYSSEY +. SSD DRIVES, WIN10

Who cares if it was operational, the dam bird was wired up for it but probably never used because they where getting bombed to shit by the allies. So I personally think it should be an option.
This still is a flight simulation, you know, for arcade options you have the competence :thumbup: .

S!

This still is a flight simulation, you know, for arcade options you have the competence :thumbup: .

S!

Then why are we flying Bf-109K over Normandy beaches?

Hardware: VPForce Rhino, FSSB R3 Ultra, Virpil T-50CM, Hotas Warthog, Winwing F15EX, Slaw Rudder, GVL224 Trio Throttle, Thrustmaster MFDs, Saitek Trim wheel, Trackir 5, Quest Pro

Because Illya Shevchenko (aka Luthier, also responsible for a previous well known simulator failure) decided those models and map in his now infamous kickstarter back in ~2013 IIRC.

S!

Because Illya Shevchenko (aka Luthier, also responsible for a previous well known simulator failure) decided those models and map in his now infamous kickstarter back in ~2013 IIRC.

S!

Haha, what a blast from the past!

Looks like we won´t be getting that Corsica map after all... Pity...

Flying the 109 over 1944 Nomrandy is still better than present day Corsica.

The K-4 is a great module in my eyes! It´s definitely a challenge to fly properly, but worth the effort.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Deedle, deedle!

Restrict MW50 availability and it’s nearly a G6...

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

Server: i5 2500@3.9Ghz, 1080, 24GB DDR3, SSD.

Restrict MW50 availability and it’s nearly a G6...

This is NOT in DCS spirit.. unless they want to become just another arcade game..

Specs:

Asus Z97 PRO Gamer, i7 4790K@4.6GHz, 4x8GB Kingston @2400MHz 11-13-14-32, Titan X, Creative X-Fi, 128+2x250GB SSDs, VPC T50 Throttle + G940, MFG Crosswinds, TrackIR 5 w/ pro clip, JetSeat, Win10 Pro 64-bit, Oculus Rift, 27"@1920x1080

Settings:

2.1.x - Textures:High Terrain:High Civ.Traffic:Off Water:High VisRan:Low Heatblur:High Shadows:High Res:1920x1080 RoC:1024 MSAA:4x AF:16x HDR:OFF DefS: ON GCI: ON DoF:Off Lens: OFF C/G:390m Trees:1500m R:max Gamma: 1.5

This is NOT in DCS spirit.. unless they want to become just another arcade game..
Then in DCS spirit take Erich Brunotte's words and don't ever fly the 109 beyond 1.2ATA in order to keep the engine alive :D.

S!

To counter that, stop flying your 109 until a map of Germany is released.

System: 9700, 64GB DDR4, 2070S, NVME2, Rift S, Jetseat, Thrustmaster F18 grip, VPC T50 stick base and throttle, CH Throttle, MFG crosswinds, custom button box, Logitech G502 and Marble mouse.

to every ppl complaining about DCS not realistic enought just stop playing dcs after first death becouse you have only one life in real life so after one death you cant play anymore by your means.

BTW normandy maps is extremly borring its flat nothing interesting there

System specs: I7 14700KF, Gigabyte Z690 Aorus Elite, 64GB DDR4 3600MHz, Gigabyte RTX 4090,Win 11, 48" OLED LG TV + 42" LG LED monitor

to every ppl complaining about DCS not realistic enought just stop playing dcs after first death becouse you have only one life in real life so after one death you cant play anymore by your means.

BTW normandy maps is extremly borring its flat nothing interesting there

Maybe that will be the follow on "ultra-real" sim version. So when you have a crash in an aircraft the game developers send the mob over to break one of your legs.