G940 FFB: PAN, PAN, PAN, Please assist...

I like my 940 in spite of all the drawbacks and problems. The lack of precision is actually a nice touch since I tend to fly Tigers and Fishbeds mostly, which are by nature kinda "Good'Ol Fashion Mechanics" types of jets.

But to be sincere, since I have DCS I have never been able to make the FFB system work. I read a thread from a guy who shows how to set it up for helicopter, but I seem to be to dumb to do it by myself, and in general, since this hotas is kinda old, there's not much info on the subject. :(

Does anybody know about a setting or a file I could download and open with the Logitech software to activate FFB for my F-5 and Mig 21? Maybe a good tutorial? Any pointers on how to make it work?

I would really appreciate a helping hand with this.

Thanks in advance. :helpsmilie:

Hi Saurophaganax,

Sorry for taking so long to get back to you - I had to sign up to answer and there is a 24-hour cooling off period ...

You don't need to do anything to enable DCS to use force feedback in the Logitech software (I assume your G940 is working in other games?)

Inside DCS you will need to assign the G940 (or some force feedback device, at least) to pitch and roll in the "Axis" tab in the control options screen. Once you've done that, click "FF Tune" and make sure that the force feedback is enabled, and that the "Trim" and "Shake" forces are set to something above zero (I use 100 and 50 respectively, though that might be the default - I can't remember changing it).

I also add a deadzone of 4 or so in the "Axis Tune" menu, just to get around the sloppy centre of the G940. I find that the deadzone makes it quite controllable.

For the F-5 I have also selected "Displaced Neutral (FFB)" in the "Joystick Mode" setting in the "Special" options menu. I don't know if this is working properly - I can't feel the increase in force when I push the stick more than half way in the roll axis, so that might not be the right setting (I don't fly the Tiger much).

Hope this helps - if it doesn't work or if you have anything to share that I've missed please post a reply and I'll check back on this topic periodically!

Cheers,

Torc

Do you use VR? Do you feel sad when you are just a dismbodied set of eyes floating in the cockpit? Check out my list of paid aircraft modules that support the visible virtual pilot body:

On the off chance you're using SteamVR, I find Force Feedback doesn't work unless I use the following process:

1) Start Windows Mixed Reality Portal (obviously I'm using WMR) and confirm that the house is showing up in the headset and lean and roll work properly

2) Start SteamVR and get all the way into the SteamVR home and make sure motion is working properly

3) Then (and only then) start DCS world.

Force Feedback tends not to work if I let SteamVR start automatically by just clicking "Play" on DCS world.

Do you use VR? Do you feel sad when you are just a dismbodied set of eyes floating in the cockpit? Check out my list of paid aircraft modules that support the visible virtual pilot body:

HI TORC! Thanks for the advice!Very nice of you. I appreciate it.

Here is how I have it set:

Logitech Software:

-Device, select default: Joystick ID1.

-Enable Force Feedback, check.

-Overall Effects strength, 100%.

-Spring Effect Strength, 100%.

-Damper Effect strength, 100%

-Enable centering spring force in ffb games, check.

-Centering Spring Strength 100%.

-Hysteresis 20 all over the five items.

DCS settings:

-Misc. Force Feedback, check.

-Special, F-5E Joystick mode, Displaced Neutral (FFB)

-Controls, Pitch and Roll, FF Tune Trimmer Force 100, Shake 50.

And still, nothing.

It is kinda strange: When I turn on the computer, the G940 "jumps" a bit, as normal. It is also responsive when I go to "calibration" in the Logitech Software, and as I press different buttons it vibrates and pushes to the sides in many different ways.

But when flying, it doesn't vibrate, for instance, when I stall the plane or when I shoot with the cannon. When flying, it only reacts to the dead-man stick sensor i.e. when I grab or release the Joystick's handle.

I don't use Steam VR. Only Oculus (which doesn't want to work either -_- ).

At the moment of writing, I am updating all possible drivers in my computer with Easydrive.

My specs are:

-Alienware r2

-RAM 16GB

-Core i7

-1 TB hard drive

-Windows 10 Pro 64 bit.

-GPU Nvidia GTX 1080

-GPU Nvidia GTX 780

-Samsung Gsync Monitor, Oculus Rift and... uh... lots of hope?

I dont' know what I'm missing. This one is a real head-scratcher.

A G940 with erectile dysfunction... pfff!!

Ok, a couple of things to try:

First off, DCS doesn’t give you shake through the stick when you fire your guns, drop weapons or take hits. What comes through the joystick are the effects of aerodynamic forces on the warbirds, or what the artificial feel system and hydraulics are doing for jets like the F-5 and MiG-21. For the F-5 and MiG-21, when you trim in the pitch axis the centre point stick should move back and forward - is this happening? If you’re holding the stick and trimming it should feel like the stick it trying to move forwards or backwards in your hand.

Second, I’ve disabled the centring spring (box unchecked and centring spring force slider set to 0). I’m not sure how much difference this makes, or if DCS just ignores this setting anyway. But perhaps give it a try? At least it will give you a stick with no centring forces if DCS is completely ignoring the G940 force feedback. And if you try out the TF-51 (the free warbird) the stick should be floppy with no centring forces when sitting on the tarmac with the engine off, but have the centring force when in flight.

I hope some of this helps - please let me know how you get on!

Edited by TORC
Spelling...

Another quick one: what G940 firmware are you running? I have 1.42: http://www.logitech.com/pub/techsupport/joystick/G940_Update_FW0142.zip

I found that link thanks to Drakoz from this thread:

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=204804

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for letting me know - I’m glad it is at least not a hardware problem!