need help ! Air Refuelling how to keep contact ? speed

bin801

Try flying in formation along side the tanker first. This should help in gauging the speed of the tanker. Once you know the speed, then you'll know what speed to fly when connected. You should always have movement on your throttle.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

Once you have made contact with the basket (which you can do-the hardest part imo), push in slightly towards the tanker, that way if you do drift back slightly there's a bit of give in the hose so you don't get a disconnect straight away, then try to hold formation with the tanker using visual clues.

IRL when tanking the receiver had to push in on the basket/hose to open the valves on the drum in the refuel pod allowing fuel to flow down to the basket. When disconnecting the receiver just pulled back, the valves shut and the probe withdrew once the hose reached the drum lock..

System :-

i7-12700K 3.6 GHz 12 core, ASUS ROG Strix Z690-A Gaming, 64GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz, 24GB Asus ROG Strix Geforce RTX 3090, 1x 500GB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, 1x 2TB Samsung 980 PRO M.2, Corsair 1000W RMx Series Modular 80 Plus Gold PSU, Windows 10. VIRPIL VPC WarBRD Base with HOTAS Warthog Stick and Warthog Throttle, VIRPIL ACE Interceptor Pedals, VIRPIL VPC Rotor TCS Plus Base with a Hawk-60 Grip, HP Reverb G2.

As others have said but it really bears repeating - 'walking the throttle' made it so much easier for me. Ie: don't keep the throttle in a single position, keep rocking it back and forth. Hard to describe and needs practice to get the feel of. But once you do, it's a hell of a lot easier to get and maintain contact.

- i7-7700k

- 32GB DDR4 2400Mhz

- GTX 1080 8GB

- Installed on SSD

- TM Warthog

DCS Modules - A-10C; M-2000C; AV8B; F/A-18C; Ka-50; FC-3; UH-1H; F-5E; Mi-8; F-14; Persian Gulf; NTTR

With the hornet I find throttle movement is less responsive. So you need to predict your power as it can go forward pretty quickly. Once you’re in formation, say 10ft behind the basket, ‘walk’ the throttles very, very gently and once you’re in basket, go through an extra 5-10ft. Remember the tanker gets lighter and you get heavier because of the fuel swap so take this into consideration.and gradually ease the throttle forward.

MSI M5 z270 | Intel i5 7600k (OC) 4.8GHz | MSI GTX1080ti Gaming X 11Gb | 500gb Samsung 970 Evo NVME M.2 (DCS World) | 500gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD (OS and Apps) | 32Gb 2400MHz DDR4 - Crucial Ballistix | Be Quiet Silent Loop 240mm | NZXT H440 case |

Thrustmaster Warthog - 47608 with Virpil Mongoose joystick base | MFG Crosswinds - 1241 | Westland Lynx collective with Bodnar X board | Pilot's seat from ZH832 Merlin | JetSeat | Oculus Rift S | Windows 10 | VA |

It's just practice man, I had a lot of difficulty with it at first. I actually ran out of fuel once (from 4.0) because I just couldn't get it. With lots of practice and encouragement from squad mates I am getting better at it. You really do need to be able to fly good formation. You will notice a direct correlation in your ability to fly tight formations, and ease in tanking.

3800X, X570, 32GB 3600, RTX 2080Ti, SSD, Odyssey+ VR

Sounds like you need a bit more practise, nothing more... If you can make contact, only thing left to do is keep formation, which you can do with a lot of training.

Thank you , now I can put my heart all in training. I were afraid of missing any step or function.

Thank you!

the speed should keep in 344, am I right?

Try flying in formation along side the tanker first. This should help in gauging the speed of the tanker. Once you know the speed, then you'll know what speed to fly when connected. You should always have movement on your throttle.

to keep contact, the speed should be 344?

I think air refueling is hundreds time harder than landing on carrier.

why press and people keep talk focus on carrier landing. The heart stop 60 second, bla bla bla.

air refueling is the hardest challenge to every pilot. OMG

Once you have made contact with the basket (which you can do-the hardest part imo), push in slightly towards the tanker, that way if you do drift back slightly there's a bit of give in the hose so you don't get a disconnect straight away, then try to hold formation with the tanker using visual clues.

IRL when tanking the receiver had to push in on the basket/hose to open the valves on the drum in the refuel pod allowing fuel to flow down to the basket. When disconnecting the receiver just pulled back, the valves shut and the probe withdrew once the hose reached the drum lock..

During half of my tries, it disconnects after the refueling start. OMG it is so hard.

thank you. good to know!

Staying connected is all about speed control. Setting some saturation on the y axis of your throttle if you have a warthog helps.

I use auto throttle when I'm very close to the basket. I then just let the auto throttle bring me in very very slowly once I match the tanker speed. I work in small increments with the formation position of my aircraft once ATC is on. Once I'm connected, if I am flying speed of the tanker I leave the autothrottle on. If I'm a bit slower I disengage autothrottle and start slowly moving my throttles up and down in small amounts. I still disconnect quite a lot but I'm able to grab 1-2k lbs of fuel each time I reconnect.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

Good advice here already.

I'll add that if you're trying to train with the instant action mission it is frustrating because the tanker begins turning if you're not quick at it. I went into the mission editor and doubled the tanker's distance to WP1 and now all is good.

P-51D | Fw 190D-9 | Bf 109K-4 | Spitfire Mk IX | P-47D | WW2 assets pack | F-86 | Mig-15 | Mig-21 | Mirage 2000C | A-10C II | F-5E | F-16 | F/A-18 | Ka-50 | Combined Arms | FC3 | Nevada | Normandy | Straight of Hormuz | Syria

Hornet refueling is quite easy,use ATC Mode you should success every time with full fuel return to base~

I don't know how to use ATC correctly.

press the ATC button, throttle will maintain the speed at the moment. My undertanding like that.

Am I right?

such as I engage ATC at 345, which is little fast than tanker, probe will contact, but I need disengage ATC immediatly, to reduce speed to same as tanker 344.

or I engage ATC at 344, which is as same as tanker's speed, but I can never reach and contact tanker.

could you tell me, is my understanding on ATC correct ? and could you teach me how do you use ATC?

Appreciate!!

Staying connected is all about speed control. Setting some saturation on the y axis of your throttle if you have a warthog helps.

I use auto throttle when I'm very close to the basket. I then just let the auto throttle bring me in very very slowly once I match the tanker speed. I work in small increments with the formation position of my aircraft once ATC is on. Once I'm connected, if I am flying speed of the tanker I leave the autothrottle on. If I'm a bit slower I disengage autothrottle and start slowly moving my throttles up and down in small amounts. I still disconnect quite a lot but I'm able to grab 1-2k lbs of fuel each time I reconnect.

Yes I have warthog, but right now I use TWC thrustmaster throttle.

I don't know how to use ATC correctly.

press the ATC button, throttle will maintain the speed at the moment. My undertanding like that.

Am I right?

such as I engage ATC at 345, which is little fast than tanker, probe will contact, but I need disengage ATC immediatly, to reduce speed to same as tanker 344.

or I engage ATC at 344, which is as same as tanker's speed, but I can never reach and contact tanker.

could you tell me, is my understanding on ATC correct ? and could you teach me how do you use ATC?

Appreciate!!

Good advice here already.

I'll add that if you're trying to train with the instant action mission it is frustrating because the tanker begins turning if you're not quick at it. I went into the mission editor and doubled the tanker's distance to WP1 and now all is good.

good idea

Whenever I have problems staying connected it is usually because I'm focusing too much on the basket. If I catch myself doing that going back to focusing on my position relative to the tanker helps alot.

That really depends on the mission, and on the tanker. The actual speed is set by the mission designer. If you're lucky, the mission briefing tells you the tanker speed. If you don't know it, you'll just have to figure it out yourself.

Ultimately, it's about formation flying. In formation, you don't care about your speed. The only thing that matters is the aircraft you're flying against. Or to quote an F-16 pilot in close formation, about his lead aircraft: "Lead is my entire world now."

As for staying connected, I've never tried it with ATC. When I look at my left hand, at first the oscillations went through roughly 60% of the full range of motion, and I was constantly adjusting like crazy. Yet it actually helped me to stay relatively stable.

With some more practice, the oscillations are much smaller now. But there isn't really a "sweet spot" for the throttles. Constantly adjusting throttles is what real pilots do (to the best of my knowledge). The trick is to be ahead of the jet. Add power before you slow down, and reduce power before you overshoot. With practice, you won't even notice that your throttle hand keeps working.

So, ultimately, the trick is to do it long enough for muscle memory to kick in, and don't let frustration get the better of you before that happens. But it's okay to shoot down the tanker every once in a while. I think we've all done it. ;)

Yes ATC will hold speed at whatever speed you press it. So if you are going 345 then press atc it will hold at that speed.

Asus ROG Strix Z790-E | Core i9 13900K-NZXT Kraken X73 AIO | 32GB DDR5 G Skill Neo 6600mhz | 2TB Sk Hynix P41 Platinum nvme |1TB Evo 970 Plus nvme | OCZ Trion 150 960GB | 256GB Samsung 830 | 1TB Samsung 850 EVO | Gigabyte OC 4090  | Phanteks P600S | 1000W MSI  MPG A1000G | LG C2 42 Evo 3840x2160 @ 120hz

I've refueled with ATC on but it is not a good practice send I'd not recommended.

i9 9900k @5.1GHz NZXT Kraken |Asus ROG Strix Z390 E-Gaming | Samsung NVMe m.2 970 Evo 1TB | LPX 64GB DDR4 3200MHz

EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra | Reverb G1  | HOTAS Warthog | Saitek Flight Pedals

I think air refueling is hundreds time harder than landing on carrier.

why press and people keep talk focus on carrier landing. The heart stop 60 second, bla bla bla.

air refueling is the hardest challenge to every pilot. OMG

Just landing may be easier, but doing a correct pattern, staying on-speed and on the glideslope all the time and hitting a consistent 3 wire is much harder than AAR could ever be, regardless of aircraft.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk