Autopilot for Mi-8

We all know how we have an autopilot in Huey. Not a real autopilot. It's just other pilot helps and takes control for a while etc...

In similar way, why doesn't Mi-8 has an autopilot feature? It would be nice while struggling with Garmin Navigation or weapon switches, for example...

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5
>>MY MODS<< | Discord: Devrim#1068

You have the SAS/autopilot. As long as you trim out the stick it will hold you very stable. No need for a cheaty autopilot

pretty much this, I have trimmed her out , activated SAS, went to drop kids off in pool and she was still flying on course 10 mins later

Click here for tutorials for using Virpil Hardware and Software

Click here for Virpil Flight equipment dimensions and pictures.

Top tip: bind whatever you use in other aircraft as your trim hat to the pitch and roll channels of the autopilot and you'll be able to fine-tune such a perfectly straight and level flight path that other trim systems will skip right past being green with envy and land somewhere in the ultraviolet part of the spectrum.

❧ ❧ Inside you are two wolves. One cannot land; the other shoots friendlies. You are a Goon. ❧ ❧

We all know how we have an autopilot in Huey. Not a real autopilot. It's just other pilot helps and takes control for a while etc...

In similar way, why doesn't Mi-8 has an autopilot feature? It would be nice while struggling with Garmin Navigation or weapon switches, for example...

As the other guys have said I guess.

But to give an additional plausible reason why it doesn't have something similar as the Huey, if my memory serves me well (it not alway do, that bastard!) the Garmin nor the playable gunner position existed when the Mi-8 was released.

But then again, the cocpit has a great number of other switches and buttons and dialers to distract you from actually flying...

Helicopters and Viggen

DCS 1.5.7 and OpenBeta

Win7 Pro 64bit

i7-3820 3.60GHz

P9X79 Pro

32GB

GTX 670 2GB

VG278H + a Dell

PFT Lynx

TrackIR 5

Garmin? :huh:

Why do you need a Garmin when you have a DISS-15? :noexpression:

:megalol:

:megalol:

I don't know whether people need those autopilots, other than when occupying a side door Gunner (and hopefully in future the rear gunner) and you can't be in controls.

Flying a Mi-8 is easy in VR while you operate all other buttons etc. The hip doesn't go crazy so suddenly and does fly so nicely and smoothly without trimming or autopilot.

i7-8700k, 32GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 2x 2080S SLI 8GB, Oculus Rift S.

i7-8700k, 16GB 2666Mhz DDR4, 1080Ti 11GB, 27" 4K, 65" HDR 4K.

I don't know whether people need those autopilots, other than when occupying a side door Gunner (and hopefully in future the rear gunner) and you can't be in controls.

Flying a Mi-8 is easy in VR while you operate all other buttons etc. The hip doesn't go crazy so suddenly and does fly so nicely and smoothly without trimming or autopilot.

As you said - they need them "when occupying a side door Gunner (and hopefully in future the rear gunner) and you can't be in controls".

An autopilot that could fly an indicated path & maybe jink / avoid fire / use CM would make behind the Kord a reasonable place to sit...

Cheers.

Just set cyclic and type in the chat box on multi player normally get a good 30 to 60 seconds before I need to correct. ;)

Control is an illusion which usually shatters at the least expected moment.

Gazelle Mini-gun version is endorphins with rotors. See above.

Currently rolling with a Asus Z390 Prime, 9600K, 32GB RAM, SSD, 2080Ti and Windows 10Pro, Rift CV1. bu0836x and Scratch Built Pedals, Collective and Cyclic.

Yeah, I don't find the mi8 to be hard to control at all. If anything its a bit too docile for my taste. I didn't even know there was an autopilot in the huey, how do you turn it on? "A"?

New hotness: I7 9700k 4.8ghz, 32gb ddr4, 2080ti, :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, HP Reverb (formermly CV1)

Old-N-busted: i7 4720HQ ~3.5GHZ, +32GB DDR3 + Nvidia GTX980m (4GB VRAM) :joystick: TM Warthog. TrackIR, Rift CV1 (yes really).

Never done that in the Mi-8, really, but at least with the Huey it is no trouble to use a door gun and still fly at the same time. In fact, for a long time I found it preferable to using the auto-co-pilot, since it enables the player to evade fire or adjust position. Admittedly the UH-1 allows for a lot more forward visibility from the gun ports.

• 1 month later...
You have the SAS/autopilot. As long as you trim out the stick it will hold you very stable. No need for a cheaty autopilot

yep, this is all you need in MI-8. The superbly designed automation is strong and reliable and requires no cheats like the wayward freedom of choice all over the place western helicopter designs. It is as simple as that!

Edited by Rogue Trooper

HP G2 Reverb, Windows 10 VR settings: IPD is 64.5mm, High image quality, G2 reset to 60Hz refresh rate as standard. OpenXR user, Open XR tool kit disabled. Open XR was a massive upgrade for me.

DCS: Pixel Density 1.0, Forced IPD at 55 (perceived world size), 0 X MSAA, 0 X SSAA. My real IPD is 64.5mm. Prescription VROptition lenses installed. VR Driver system: I9-9900KS 5Ghz CPU. XI Hero motherboard and RTX 3090 graphics card, 64 gigs Ram, No OC at the mo. MT user  (2 - 5 fps gain). DCS run at 60Hz.

Vaicom user. Thrustmaster warthog user. MFG pedals with damper upgrade.... and what an upgrade! Total controls Apache MPDs set to virtual Reality height with brail enhancements to ensure 100% button activation in VR.. Simshaker Jet Pro vibration seat.. Uses data from DCS not sound.... you know when you are dropping into VRS with this bad boy.

I do know all those things written in those 2 pages guys.

I just wanted to say that just like in Huey, I may want other pilot to take control (fake-autopilot) and then I can focus on some other adjustments etc. etc.

In multiplayer game, if we see multi-crew in Mi-8, you will able to do some weapon preparation etc. I want to do that in singleplayer.

YES! I can trim her out and use SAS systems etc. I already know that...

What I'm trying to say was different. I mention not an Autopilot like in Ka-50.

Edited by Devrim

i7-2600 @3.4GHz | Corsair 16GB @1600MHz. | MSI GTX1660Ti Gaming X | Samsung 256GB SSD (Win10HPx64)
Samsung G5 32" + Samsung 18" + 2x8"TFT Displays | Saitek X-55 Rhino & Rudder | TM MFD Cougars | Logitech G13, G230, G510, PZ55 & Farming Sim Panel | TIR5

I do know all those things written in those 2 pages guys.

I just wanted to say that just like in Huey, I may want other pilot to take control (fake-autopilot) and then I can focus on some other adjustments etc. etc.

In multiplayer game, if we see multi-crew in Mi-8, you will can do some weapon preparation etc. I want to do that in singleplayer.

YES! I can trim her out and use SAS systems etc. I already know that...

What I'm trying to say was different. I mention not an Autopilot like in Ka-50.

Agree. The problem is that the Huey “Autopilot” was misnamed from the onset. It should have been named “Copilot Mode”. Indeed, if your DCS Huey copilot is dead, the Autopilot mode is disabled. I don’t feel that wanting the same feature in the Mi8 is unreasonable.

A Co, 229th AHB, 1st Cav Div

ASUS Prime Z370-A MB, Intel Core i7 8700K 5.0GHz OC'd, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4, 1TB SSD, Win 10

Samsung 65" 4K Curved Display (Oculus Rift occaisionally), Track IR5, VoiceAttack, Baur's BRD-N Cyclic base/Virpil T-50CM Grip, UH-1h Collective by Microhelis & OE-XAM Pedals. JetSeat & SimShaker for Aviators.

JUST CHOPPERS

...“Copilot Mode”...
Oh! That's the term. Thanks. :)