MECH reversion mode

twistking

Will we get MECH reversion mode for the F/A-18C?

I would assume, that it is planned, but i could not get any confirmation besides Wags mentioning MECH reversion as a feature of the real F/A-18 in his introduction video.

Apart from being important for emergency procedures, proper MECH and DEL reversion could just be an interesting challenge and would allow the flight model to really shine in that "raw" control state...

Would be nice....

Interesting fact, the Blue Angels are having trouble with the Echo as it is purely electronic and has no mechanical connections between the flight controls and the stick exist. It delaying the transition. Something to do with not having the same fidelity for the extremely small inputs the make to fly their tight form.

Checkout my awesome F-14B Checklist / Reference guide.

https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=248885

Noooo you do not do Mech Reversion in a Hornet!!!!:doh:

could you elaborate, why one would not use MECH reversion?

i was under the impression that you could f.e. use it when both generators are down and by that saving your battery to use DEL reversion for approach and landing.

IIRC in natops it mentions the MECH mode, and accompanying caution in the LDDI, activates automatically and cant be 'triggered'. To add to this AFAIK it is implemented in DCS notice how sluggish the controls become during a dual flameout.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

IIRC in natops it mentions the MECH mode, and accompanying caution in the LDDI, activates automatically and cant be 'triggered'. To add to this AFAIK it is implemented in DCS notice how sluggish the controls become during a dual flameout.

from my understanding, what is simulated is DEL reversion, where you still have aileron authority. In Mech you loose aileron and rudder authrority leaving you with the elevators only, giving you pitch and some roll by opposing elevator positions.

i would assume, that you can manually get into MECH by pulling the FCS circuit breakers. Right now, the hornet will take no control input whatsoever with the breakers pulled, while in reality MECH should provide control authority over the elevators even without electrical power, as long as there is hydraulic pressure.

DEL reversion = Needs electrical power, needs hydraulic pressure, provides authority over aileron, elevator, rudder. No limiters, No FC augmentations, No secondary control surfaces

MECH reversion = Only needs hydraulics, provides only elevator control via mechanical link to the hydraulic actuators, providing pitch and limited roll.

Please correct me, if i got something wrong. This is what i've gathered from these forums mostly...

Edited by twistking

The current reversion system doesn't move ailerons as far as I can tell. And I'm fairly certain they both need hydraulics, if you look at the flight control diagram in natops you will see that there is no direct linkage between the stick and the control surfaces, the only 'direct' connection would be between the stick and the hydro actuators (bypassing the FCS) however this seems like it would still require hydraulic pressure to move the control surfaces.

476th Discord   |    476th Website    |    Swift Youtube
Ryzen 5800x, RTX 4070ti, 64GB, Quest 2

The current reversion system doesn't move ailerons as far as I can tell. And I'm fairly certain they both need hydraulics, if you look at the flight control diagram in natops you will see that there is no direct linkage between the stick and the control surfaces, the only 'direct' connection would be between the stick and the hydro actuators (bypassing the FCS) however this seems like it would still require hydraulic pressure to move the control surfaces.

you are right of course: both MECH and DEL would need hydraulics. i corrected that in my post above.

i haven't yet bought the hornet, so can't test it for myself, but if the ailerons don't move, then it might really be modelled already. if you're up next time, could you pull all the FCS breakers and see, what it does?

on another thread soemoen told me, you'd loose complete control over the aircraft, if you do that, what made me think that reversion modes are not correctly implemented yet...

oh... and for comparison, could you - insted of pulling the breakers - also just shut off generators and switch off both (?) batteries in flight and check flight controls?

i'm interested if both MECH and DEL are implemented, or just one of them.

thanks.

Edited by twistking

• 3 weeks later...