AIM-54 TWS

Wrightie

In the month since release i've put quite a lot into learning how to use the Tomcat. Today i did my first complete mission which i'm quite pleased about.

I am however having difficulty with the TWS mode.

Everything i've seen and read says that Jester will designate targets and assign a launch order visible on the TID.

I leave Jester to this and can see the bogies on the display however the numbers aren't right i've seen 3 targets all show a number 2?? very baffling.

I'm in TWS auto mode within range, and am able to fire the Phoenix if I switch to STT mode but multiple targets.... no chance.

Can anyone give me any idea what i'm doing wrong at all?

Jester just IFF's the targets, WCS (Weapon computer system) puts priority and track on unknown and enemy units automatically.

If you want to utilize TWS mode, Jester will use TWS auto mode by default if you're RIO you can use TWS manual so you can move the radar antenna up/down and left/right.

But the basic concept is simple.

- Master Arm ON

- Select Pheonix Missiles

Any Unknown or Enemy contact will be tracked by WCS and will receive a priority number to the right of the track symbol.

The number on the left references the altitude.

You can't TWS a data linked target cause it's controlled by INS and your INS can drift and be shit.

Sometimes INS and radar locked target can be miles apart

When you Fox 3 it will turn into a countdown.

That's it.

Edited by Rlaxoxo

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Youtube

Reddit

If you are seeing the number 2 on all of the targets thats probably their altitude you are looking at. The targets altitude will be on the left of their icon and the phoenix firing priority will be on the right. The targets will only get a target priority number if they are an unknown or a hostile that is being detected by your planes radar, data linked targets won't get a number.

Thanks for the replies both. I do think i'm doing what i should be... but obviously can't be or the missiles would hit something rather than fall into the sea. I didn't know the left no. Was their altitude though. Will have to have another look. Thanks again for the pointers

When you fire a Phoenix in TWS mode, the priority number on the right side of the number 1 priority target will change into a time to impact countdown and the entire target symbol gets brighter.

Intel i7-12700K @ 8x5GHz+4x3.8GHz + 32 GB DDR5 RAM + Nvidia Geforce RTX 2080 (8 GB VRAM) + M.2 SSD + Windows 10 64Bit

DCS Panavia Tornado (IDS) really needs to be a thing!

Tornado3 small.jpg