Micro Stutters

Bonz

PL is Process Lasso... I don't know much about it but it allowed me to adjust "Affinity" which, as I understand it, is the tendency of a program to associate with particular threads within the core of your CPU... I think. Maxing out any thread can cause the Micro Stutters. Apparently many folks have seen them... possibly more often on newer computers. This happened to me on a new build computer... last fall... I've been trying to eliminate these "Micro Stutters" ever since.

If you look at the YouTube video provided by David OC in a previous post... it clearly shows the problem and using Window TASK Manager the individual who produced the video demonstrates how to fix it. I wish I knew who this person is... I'd like to thank him. The time he took to build that video helped me tremendously. What I did follows:

1. Start out by opening Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+ESC) while in DCS.

2. Click on the Performance Tab

3. Click on CPU

4. Move the mouse over the CPU Graph (If there is just the summary graph).

5. Right click and select "Change Graph to... then, Logical Processors.

6. This shows the various thread within your CPU.

7. Now at the top of the window click the Details Tab.

8. Select DCS from the list and Right click, Select Set Affinity.

9. Select the CPUs (Threads) that you want DCS to run on.

10. This will only be temporary... next time you start the game it will revert back to what it was... I think. Someone else might know better. But so far that's my experience.

11. Process Lasso is a program that will do the same thing but seems to make it more permanent... I'm very new to PL and I'm not recommending it... just telling you what I did that seems to have fixed my Micro Stutters.

Bonz...

Edited by Bonz

PL is Process Lasso... I don't know much about it but it allowed me to adjust "Affinity" which, as I understand it, is the tendency of a program to associate with particular threads within the core of your CPU... I think. Maxing out any thread can cause the Micro Stutters many folks have apparently seen... possibly more often on newer computers. This happened on a new build computer in my case... last fall... I've been trying to fix this since then.

If you look at the YouTube video provided by David OC in a previous post... it clearly shows the problem and using Window TASK Manager he demonstrates how to fix it.

1. Start out by opening Task Manager (Ctrl+Shift+ESC) while in DCS.

2. Click on the Performance Tab

3. Click on CPU

4. Move the mouse over the CPU Graph (If there is just the summary graph).

5. Right click and select "Change Graph to... then, Logical Processors.

6. This shows the various thread within your CPU.

7. Now at the top of the window click the Details Tab.

8. Select DCS from the list and Right click, Select Set Affinity.

9. Select the CPUs (Threads) then you want DCS to run on.

10. This will only be temporary... next time you start the game it will revert back to what it was... I think. Someone else might know better. But so far that's my experience.

11. Process Lasso is a program that will do the same thing and make it more permanent... I'm very new to PL and I'm not recommending it... just telling you what I did that seems to have fixed my Micro Stutters.

Bonz...

Thanks for the detailed information bonzzz. I will try it tonight. #9 ... when you select CPUs or threads on which u want dcs to run on, are you chaning the cpu core or you are distributing the load on all cores ??

In PL, highlight DCS and tell PL to run it on REAL cores only, aka DISABLED Hyperthreading.

Very easy and intuitive GUI, dont be afraid

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Can u guide where can we get this PL thing ? :thumbup::helpsmilie:

https://bitsum.com/ :pilotfly:

Gigabyte Aorus X570S Master - Ryzen 5900X - Gskill 64GB 3200/CL14@3600/CL14 - Asus 1080ti EK-waterblock - 4x Samsung 980Pro 1TB - 1x Samsung 870 Evo 1TB - 1x SanDisc 120GB SSD - Heatkiller IV - MoRa3-360LT@9x120mm Noctua F12 - Corsair AXi-1200 - TiR5-Pro - Warthog Hotas - Saitek Combat Pedals - Asus PG278Q 27" QHD Gsync 144Hz - Corsair K70 RGB Pro - Win11 Pro/Linux - Phanteks Evolv-X 

Search for Process Lasso on the web. Distributing to other cores or their Hyper-thread or both. I'm not smart enough to know which is best so I'd do what BitMaster suggests. As I understand it... Each core on a four core system each has one hyper-thread. In the PL application these are labeled CPU0 - CPU7... with CPU0, CPU2, CPU4, and CPU6 being the "real" cores and CPU1, CPU3, CPU5, and CPU7 being the hyper-thread. Someone please correct me if and where I'm wrong.

Bonz...

Edited by Bonz

But guys IF by doing this you are solving your stutter issues then why dont the developers incorporate this change in DCS once and for all. Is it that difficult ?

I think this is not a normal thing to happen? I have no need for Process Lasso, perhaps it's some config on Bonz's PC or his new chip set (i7-7820x) and MB with DCS?

ED's working on the vulkan api etc, there is so many configs out there:cry:, there must be a market for a programs such as Process Lasso "A standalone program that is dedicated to help programs run better" otherwise ED would end up code such a program into DCS, imagine how many if else statements there are now lol.

Like I said, this is a rare thing to happen, I have only seen it a few times.

Glad you got it sorted too Bonz,

When you first looked at the affinity settings in TM, were all the CPU's ticked? Use all processor ticked?

and DCS was still stuck on one thread?

attachment.php?attachmentid=179577&stc=1&d=1519200554

Can you please confirm this process lasoo software is totally safe and virus free ?

There are many review sites and download sites, never seen any bad comments. NOTING is totally safe......so no lol;)

Edited by David OC

i7-7700K OC @ 5Ghz | ASUS IX Hero MB | ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX | 32GB Corsair 3000Mhz | Corsair H100i V2 Radiator | Samsung 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500G SSD | Samsung 850 EVO 500G SSD | Corsair HX850i Platinum 850W | Oculus Rift | ASUS PG278Q 27-inch, 2560 x 1440, G-SYNC, 144Hz, 1ms | VKB Gunfighter Pro

Chuck's DCS Tutorial Library

Download PDF Tutorial guides to help get up to speed with aircraft quickly and also great for taking a good look at the aircraft available for DCS before purchasing. Link

I think this is not a normal thing to happen? I have no need for Process Lasso, perhaps it's some config on Bonz's PC or his new chip set (i7-7820x) and MB with DCS?

ED's working on the vulkan api etc, there is so many configs out there:cry:, there must be a market for a programs such as Process Lasso "A standalone program that is dedicated to help programs run better" otherwise ED would end up code such a program into DCS, imagine how many if else statements there are now lol.

Like I said, this is a rare thing to happen, I have only seen it a few times.

Glad you got it sorted too Bonz,

When you first looked at the affinity settings in TM, were all the CPU's ticked? Use all processor ticked?

and DCS was still stuck on one thread?

attachment.php?attachmentid=179577&stc=1&d=1519200554

There are many review sites and download sites, never seen any bad comments. NOTING is totally safe......so no lol;)

Very useful information indeed. This might be the reason I was getting stutters in Sli configuration. I will try it tonight and will report back.

OK... here's the latest. Success! That was the problem and the solution. No more Stutters!! Hurray!!!

First thing I tried was task manager. At first had trouble displaying all the threads, but after about a minute figured it out. Also figured out how to adjust my affinity. moved DCS from just one Thread to four, then six, then other configurations, all resulted in spreading the wealth and prevented any one thread from carrying the entire DCS load. Played the game and their was smoothness from end to end. I Then downloaded Process Lasso (PL) and quickly figured out how to adjust my affinity... and again smoothness all the way to the horizon. I'll need to become more familiar with PL to determine the best configuration for my system, but what I have now is centuries better. I've been trying to fix this for several months... Thanks to everyone who contributed especially David OC and the German gamer who posted the "possible fix".

No More Stutters... this is something to know... Keep this thread posted.

One additional note... when I first opened Process Lasso I noticed that all my apps, other than DCS, were spread to all 16 of my threads. DCS was the only program using only one.

Bonz...

Bonz has Process lasso permanently saved the settings for dcs? or u have to do it everytime u run dcs?

Secondly if its permanent, do u have to run the program everytime you start windows? Please put some light on the matter. Thanks

You can set the rule for DCS as PERMANENT, yes. Tho you do not need to.

Processlasso is FREE for personal use and will not fully autoload after the 30days trial. It will continue to run as usual but have a 20sec delay that you need to click on. If you then have a rule set for DCS or whatever it is auto-applied.

PL is save to use imho, no add-ons- no adds spamming, nada, a plain solid tool that plain works as intended.

PL is a "No-BS" tool !

Hey Folks,

I've been reading these posts about micro stutters, great information here. It made take interest in how my mid range rig would stand up. I fired up DCS 2.2.0 (I have not taken the plunge yet into DCS 2.5 OB) and loaded deadlyfishes TTI Las Vegas.

With TrackIR on, sitting at Nellis, I checked the CPU affinity through Task Manager to see that all for logical cores (i5-6600K no HT) had a nicely spread load. The screen shot is showing about 70 - 80 fps. I have deferred shading on, MSAA off in DCS, and vsync "fast" (I believe my monitor is only 60Hz 1080p), FXAA and MSAAx2 on in the Nvidia CP. I don't know what is going on there. I have never set CPU affinity, so it appears DCS uses the 4 cores every time it loads? I haven't OC'd anything and i'm not running Process Lasoo.

I flew the F5 around yesterday on the same settings and was getting consistently 100 - 120 fps.

Anyway, have a look at the attached screenshot (hope it works ok). This may all change when 2.5 Stable is released.

Great discussion in this topic :thumbup:

Cheers!

201802282254.thumb.png.409c928caba4a0c57c1cdc5362c08c73.png

W10 Home 64Bit, Intel Skylake I5 6600K 3.50GHz, ASUS ROG Stryx Z270F MoBo, 32GB G.Skill RipJaws V DDR4 3200 RAM, Samsung 960 Pro 512GB M.2 SSD (OS), Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD, 2TB Seagate SDHD, 2TB WD Green HDD, GALAX GTX GeForce 1070 EXOC Sniper White 8GB VRAM

Some reports I read had GPU throttling issues, to be precise, the PowerTarget/Temp reached was too high and thus the card has to throttle back to stay withing PT, causing stutter and jitter ( maybe ).

Make sure that your GPU clock has a consistent flat line at your choosen MHz, no zickzack up&down.

You can either increase PowerTarget to allow more Volts then..or lower the PowerTarget so the card settles with a lesser speed but can remain there and doesn't always try to gain another 100MHz and then throttle back..and forth..and back..and forth.. not good

Just an idea.

My miner behaves the same way, sometimes less is more.

Edited by BitMaster

• 2 months later...

Does this microstutter affect only monitors or is it also in VR? I run the Rift and had stuttering issues in the past. I had to completely get rid of everything flight-sim and reload to get rid of it. Plus it doesn't bother me much although it does stutter on occasion.

i7-7700K, 32GB DDR4, 525GB SSD, 1TB HDD, GTX 1080Ti 11GB, Liquid Cooling, Win 10, Warthog HOTAS, TPR Pedals, HP Reverb, Oculus Rift with Touch, Jetseat and bass shakers, PointCTRL, and Scale F-14B Cockpit

Yup VR as well. I got rid of them (mostly) by disabling the page file in Windows, and setting Preload Radius in the option menu to minimum.

But I do have a fair amount of RAM, and a pretty fast SSD...

Spoiler

Ryzen 9 5900X | 64GB G.Skill TridentZ 3600 | Gigabyte RX6900XT | ASUS ROG Strix X570-E GAMING | Samsung 990Pro 2TB + 960Pro 1TB NMVe | HP Reverb G2
Pro Flight Trainer Puma | VIRPIL MT-50CM2+3 base / CM2 x2 grip with 200 mm S-curve extension + CM3 throttle + CP2/3 + FSSB R3L + VPC Rotor TCS Plus base with SharKa-50 grip mounted on Monstertech MFC-1 | TPR rudder pedals

OpenXR | PD 1.0 | 100% render resolution | DCS "HIGH" preset