Some details of FC3 AFM Missile Improvements

Wags

Not in the same missile.

Modeling different fuze types in different missiles and the option to adjust the fuze in relation of target size. That´s what i´m talking about.

Edited by Esac_mirmidon

" You must think in russian.."

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Windows 7 Home Premium-Intel 2500K OC 4.6-SSD Samsung EVO 860- MSI GTX 1080 - 16G RAM - 1920x1080 27´

Hotas Rhino X-55-MFG Crosswind Rudder Pedals -Track IR 4

• Replies 399
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he means the 120's target size selection, not a selection between contact and prox fuzes.

Currently all fuzes in game are prox fuzes so I think he wants to see both simulated.

Err what Air to air missiles do you believe have the option to select between contact or prox fusing ?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Reminder: SAM = Speed Bump :D

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

No, it is not. There is no sensor model revamp yet AFAIK, just the flight model.

This is not good news. Can we still expect missiles to lose track of jets when you orthagonal roll, or perform one of a dozen maneuvers that the exploiters used to shake a shot fired at them? Or dump a couple chaff and you're invincible? Can you tell me with ask this wonderful AFM are we still going to have to deal with the same major problems that plagued FC3? Also, is maddog still borked cuz the russian fan boys didn't like reality? If I want balance I'll play BF3. If the answers to the above questions are yes, ED isn't getting a dime of mine. FC2 was a POS because of the aforementioned issues. I'd like to see them get it right instead of having to wait for more unfinished software that we were promised would be fixed, but wasn't.

Thats nice, new missile mechanics... but can i shoot lasers?

I think you have the wrong game.

ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero, i7-6700K, Noctua NH-D14 Cooler, Crucial 32GB DDR4 2133, Samsung 950 Pro NVMe 256GB, Samsung EVO 250GB & 500GB SSD, 2TB Caviar Black, Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Extreme 8GB, Corsair HX1000i, Phillips BDM4065UC 40" 4k monitor, VX2258 TouchScreen, TIR 5 w/ProClip, TM Warthog, VKB Gladiator Pro, Saitek X56, et. al., MFG Crosswind Pedals #1199, VolairSim Pit, Rift CV1 :thumbup:

I don't think you really know what it is you're talking about.

Have you played FC2 online? I'd post a bunch of links to youtube videos that show what I'm talking about but then I'd get "warned". You're quite knowledgeable about many real life aspects regarding missile and a/c technology, so since you don't know what I'm talking about how about you commit? Tell us now that the many issues regarding FC3 missile employment have been fixed. Are you still invulnerable to any kind of "fox" below 20 meters? Playing stupid doesn't suit you since you regard yourself as extremely knowledgeable about things combat aircraft related. The AFM for missiles won't mean squat if they track as stupid and unrealistic as they did in FC2. Frankly, I doubt many in this community will buy if the same game stoppers that plagued FC2 plague FC3. Judging by your response, I suspect maybe I'm correct and ED wants to keep this under wraps until they sell the game. I could be way off base but your response is suspect.

• Like 1

Good point. Has the misslie tracking been fixed? AIM-120C is the best out there and it shouldnt be fooled as bad as it does in FC2.

[sigpic][/sigpic]

US Air Force Retired, 1C371

No rank or title will ever be as important as the unit patch you wear.

Have you played FC2 online?

Yep.

Tell us now that the many issues regarding FC3 missile employment have been fixed.

Who says they're not meant to be that way?

Are you still invulnerable to any kind of "fox" below 20 meters?

Certain missiles won't track you below that level, but it's not all of them.

Judging by your response, I suspect maybe I'm correct and ED wants to keep this under wraps until they sell the game. I could be way off base but your response is suspect.

I think you're just making a mountain out of a molehill.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I used to play flight sims like you, but then I took a slammer to the knee - Yoda

And how should or shouldn't it be fooled?

Good point. Has the misslie tracking been fixed? AIM-120C is the best out there and it shouldnt be fooled as bad as it does in FC2.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

From my experience I have a few times seen just a little chaff in the air and it goes stupid. Manuevering can defeat it in certain aspect ratios but again beaming one is not easy. I have seen too where a person just spun and spun and it went stupid. The Slammer C and C-5 has ECCCM so fooling it is damn near impossible. I just can't see a scenario where after launching 4 C fido's, they A: never get to a target when it's well in its range or B: go stupid 15 to 20 seconds after launch. They are just broke.

Edited by USAFMTL

[sigpic][/sigpic]

A little chaff defeat a 120C in FC2? Not unless you're in the notch :)

To say that the slammer has this or that doesn't really mean much. While we have some ideas about enhancing missile guidance, I don't think that will happen very soon; the devs operate on somewhat more concrete concepts than 'this missile has eccm' though.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

True GG. I'm not sure how much I can say without going into the grey area of classified info. All I can say (until I hear from request I put into NASIC) is that the missile should be more lethal and have a higher PK.

[sigpic][/sigpic]

You can't really say anything, I'm sure. I think the devs have some ideas, and they apply to many missiles, not just the 120 ... but they'll be at best educated guesses, when they do happen :)

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

I have a question reharding SARH missiles, since the guidance is from launching aircraft and missile is able to track the target because it's being guided by launching aircraft radar, shouldn't such missile continue to track locked aircraft even if there is chaff in air as long as launching aircraft radar maintains a lock?

In short, if I launch a SARH, if radar lock is always maintained the missile should continue tracking towards target?

No longer active in DCS...

These are the kinda details that will change BVR combat in FC.

Now that all missiles have an AFM, will we have a detailed section in the FC3 manual with all these details for each missile?

And for an off topic question, with bezels third party weapons for Mig 21. Will he have to support the new AFM for his weapons, or will ED support the weapons after his release?

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

AFM for A2A missiles will be part of DCS World (next version of it) so any aircaft launching an A2A missile (even from Su-25T or A-10C) will have this missile AFM.

Any 3rd party module will be using same A2A missile AFM as it is part of the DCS World, not the aircraft module.

I have a question reharding SARH missiles, since the guidance is from launching aircraft and missile is able to track the target because it's being guided by launching aircraft radar, shouldn't such missile continue to track locked aircraft even if there is chaff in air as long as launching aircraft radar maintains a lock?

In short, if I launch a SARH, if radar lock is always maintained the missile should continue tracking towards target?

Is it possible for a radar to lock the chaff in place of the aircraft? We can lock flares with DCS a10, can FC3 aircraft lock chaff? I do not know the working bits of a combat radar to know. I know in WW2 aircraft would dump chaff to confuse enemy radars. But it was to overwhelm them. Don't know if any of this works in modern times.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Is it possible for a radar to lock the chaff in place of the aircraft? We can lock flares with DCS a10, can FC3 aircraft lock chaff? I do not know the working bits of a combat radar to know. I know in WW2 aircraft would dump chaff to confuse enemy radars. But it was to overwhelm them. Don't know if any of this works in modern times.

Yes, that would be my guess also... target aircraft releases lots of chaff and launching aircraft radar locks onto that chaff and SARH missile goes for it, but this is not how it is in sim... radar still keeps lock on the aircraft but missile doesn't track any more and just continues straight... it should not work like this IRL

I understand that the Ed missiles will have the AfM. But if you look at the mig21. He's adding new missiles to DCS world. Will they get the AfM?

My logic says this AFM must be calculated on missile parameters (weight, propelant mass, burn duration, thrust of the missile engine, missile body dragg coefficient etc etc) and external parameters which should be common (air density dep on altitude, gravity) and according to those the calculations are made, so unless these new missiles have these parameters also it should work for all missiles... but then again this is just my assumption and things may not work like this :noexpression:

• Like 1

Like an ARH missile, the SARH missile is guided by it's own radar receiver. The difference is that the SARH missile requires illumination of the target by the parent aircraft.

Don't try to inject logic in how the code handles this, it will only make your head hurt :D

There are definitely problems at very low altitudes that an fire control radar might deal with a bit better than a missile's radar, but that's just a guess.

These problems aren't fully represented by FC right now, and maybe they never will be. The radar floor is one way of dealing with things, but it is a fairly simplistic way. There are other ways in which FC deals with targets at low altitudes as well, eg. generally decreasing target tracking accuracy. At some point perhaps the radar floor as we have it will dissapear altogether, but not right now.

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]