Control Stick in the middle or on the side?

RedTiger

Control Stick in the middle or on the side?  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Control Stick in the middle or on the side?

• F-16 style: to the side
    • F-15/18/everything else style: in the middle

Side stick for me. It is more comfortable.

In real life, pilots flying a center stick has a harder time checking over his/her right shoulder than the left. That's why in WWII, pilots like to bounce unsuspected victims from the right and a little below.

Edited by walternowi

Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2

ASUS Sabertooth X79

4 x 4GB Crucial Ballistix VLP PC3-12800

ASUS Cerberus GTX 1070 Ti 8 Gb

Seasonic Platinum 860W

Thrustmaster Cougar Uber II Nxt

CH Products PT/TQ/MFP

Slaw Pedals

TrackIR 5

In real life, pilots flying a center stick has a harder time checking over his/her right shoulder than the left.

Why?

Seriously, I always thought if I was going to built a cockpit-like setup, I'd want center stick because of the old-school, cool factor.

Anyway, authenticity aside, sim pilots won't have problem looking anywhere since the screen is in front of us.

ED have been taking my money since 1995. :P

• 2 months later...
God no...

my point was that a left handed person would have a hard time if the stick is positioned on the right. Can you imagine trying to land in crosswind with your hands crisscrossed?

That is all.

No that is not all :) Thread resurrection!

A real pilot must pilot a/c well no matter if he's holding the control with either left or right hand - that's a requirement. I can do it with same results with both hands. Actually when I began my gaming life, I was holding joystick with left hand only. After I picked up HOTAS I was flying with right hand, and just recently tried the left hand again on diffrent stick. I didn't have trouble with precise flight. Just having trouble while trying to write nicely with my right hand, but that's all.

Interesting read this thread was, I have searched for some opinions on different controls... now let this thread die.

Edited by Shaman

51PVO Founding member (DEC2007-)

100KIAP Founding member (DEC2018-)

:: Shaman aka [100☭] Shamansky

tail# 44 or 444

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC] 100KIAP Regiment Early Warning & Control officer

center stick for me... I fly mostly IL2 and now DCS so I havent come across any planes that used a side stick. Center stick feels a bit more stable to me as well.

Rig Specs: AMD FX-60 @ 2.6ghz - DFI Lanparty SLI UT - 4gb Mushkin Redline Ram - WD Raptor 300gb HDD - EVGA 260GTX 940mb - SoundBlaster something Live:P - Samsung 20.1" Syncmaster 204B (Camera) and Shuttle 17" xp17 (Abris & Shkval)

Flight Controls: Franken Force CH 568/Logitech Wingman Force 3D Hybrid - CH Pro Throttle - Logitech Momo Wheel Conversion to FFB pedals - Belkin N52